News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor sizing high KV rating set for low rpm or low KV run at higher rpm setting  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
As I have been learning about the world of electrics one finds there are lots of ways to skin the cat. One question came up when looking at the A123 battery set up (10.2V at full charge). The initial set up is a AXI 2820-8 motor, this motor has a 1500Kv rating, it can pull over 45amp continuously and is very light 151g, list resistance is 26 mohm. This is the motor I am using now, it is turning an APC-E 11.5 x 4.5 (cut down and repitched 12x6) at 8800 rpm. It pulls the 56oz test ship like a strong modern 40 IC. To get this motor to run at 8800 I had to set the timer motor start/motor end at 24 (48% throttle).
Another motor is also available the AXI 2820-10 which has a Kv rating of 1200 which at 10V would be close to 12000 rpm unloaded that could be throttled to 8800 at say 30 or 60% throttle (only a guess). This motor is also 151g, list resistance is 39 mohm.

A third option is the AXI 2826-8 that has a Kv rating of 1130. The unloaded rpm would be around 11,300 and it could be throttled to 8800 at a timer setting of say 32 or 64%, it is 181g and can pull over 55amp continuously, list resistance is 30 mohm.

The question is given these choices is it better to take a higher Kv rated motor and set it up at a low throttle to run at the desired lower rpm  or take the higher Kv rating and run at a higher throttle setting to run at the same rpm for both motors? Which one pulls the lower amps (the mohm for the 2820-8 and 2826-8 are very close 29 vs 30)for the same end rpm?

Best,         Dennis

Alan Hahn

Dennis,
My own "belief" is that it is better to match the motor to your battery---in other words I would say if you can keep the throttle at ~75% of full throttle (at the end of the flight), you will achieve the higher efficiency.

Now I have done what you are doing with my Electric Super Clown and its stock motor. It also is a 1500kV motor, which with the original ESC/timer from Brodak, was made to run with a ~9-4 prop at a relatively high rpm. Eventually I was running it with a 10-7 APC prop at much lower rpms, using a CC35ESC and a JMP-2 timer. I found that it ran pretty good, and I was using ~1700mAHr from a 3s2100mAHr battery. So in this case the CCESC was doing a reasonable good job at converting the higher voltage 3s and low amps to a lower voltage higher amp run. However you are making the ESC work harder. I am not positive how efficient the ESC is working at lower throttles.

Currently I am running a kv=1088 Scorpion 3020-12 motor with a 4s1p 2100mAHr battery in my ENobler. Originally I was using two 3s1p 2100mAHr batteries in parallel, and in that case the kV was reasonably matched at my 9000rpm run. Now with the 4s1p battery, the original 1088 kV motor is a little high in kV. For grins I have wired up a 3020 motor kit myself. This new motor has a measured kV of ~880. My plan is to get the ENobler dialed in with last year's setup, then switch motors and do nothing else. I will be curious how much power the newer motor will draw. So maybe I'll have an answer for you in a month or so.

Here is a picture of the new beast!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Alan,

Interesting approach have you tested the motor it yet? I agree that matching the motor to the  battery is the way to go. With the A123 packs being heaver then the poly's reduced motor weight is one way to keep the whole power package in an acceptable weight range. For example the AXI2820/8 is 151g the AXI2826/8 is 181g that's about an oz difference. the 2826/8 has a lower Kv rating around 1150 which means with the A123 3s2p pack at 10V is closer to the 9000 rpm range for the 11.5x5 prop.

Both motors will turn the desired prop at the desired rpm, question is which setup will provide the best flight time and load response?  Logic seems to say the 2826/8 should have more torque and could turn say a 12x5 and need less rpm but can it give the flight time?

I was hoping we would get some additional input on this as it has an impact on motor setups for the A123 battery use. Hope some others join in with their experiences.

Best,       Dennis

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Hi Guys,
The figure we are using recently is around 70% ... take the nominal voltage of the battery times Kv then times 0.7. That should be the running RPM you aim for. This, together with line length and desired lap time, dictates the pitch of the prop.

Why 70% ? Forget the governor for a second  ??? 
We (Hunt and I) started out at 100% throttle and a low (4-1/2") pitch prop. Efficiency is marginally better at full throttle than anywhere else, and 50% throttle is the worst, but the penalty is small. The "wasted" energy largely goes into making the windings of the motor  a little warmer and also into making them "sing" which is what folks, who change over to using a governor, hear. The problem at full throttle was that the battery voltage caused maybe a tenth and a half slowdown during the flight.

Then we tried the governor, and upped the pitch on the same prop to maybe 5". The governor had enough headroom to maintain lap times as the battery dropped in voltage.

Then we went up in pitch and down in governor RPM, so that when the governor loop "firewalled" the throttle there would be more peak power available. We kept going up in pitch, until we had to run RPMs at 70% of Kv times Vbatt. Could we go further?

Yes! The peak power going uphill will be better, at the price of more copper losses and louder motor singing. Just why this is so requires an understanding of the difference between the average current in a switched power driver and the RMS (root mean square) current. The copper heating is related to the RMS. You don't want me to bore you with math!

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Dean,

In a thread on the 3S A123 Combos for motors you felt that the A123 would have a loaded voltage of 9.6 and with 1V losses would net out 8.6V. In that thread on the AXI 2820/8 with a Kv rating of 1500 you thought 80% of the 1500 x 8.6 = 10,320 rpm would be a target. If we revised that to 70% we hit 9030 rpm which is just about what I am at for the lap time I need with the 11.5x5.5 APC E prop.

I hope to fly tomorrow to see if at this setting the battery has enough to get thought for 5min 45sec that I would like.

Best,            Dennis

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
Dean

Thanks for the latest formula. It really has helped my bench test on E-flite 480-910kv
twin motors. I had been running too high RPM (9600) with APCe 9x6 which pulled too
many amps. With your formula I revised the RPM to 8900 and upped pitch to 6.2 .
This has given me a much smoother run and still the pitch speed is OK and amps are
better. Watts per pound(in) are 125 which should be good flying. Hoping for my first
flight next week.

Walt

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
All,

Dean, that formula seems to hit right on the numbers for the A123 set up with the AXI2820/8. I flew the test ship yesterday and today for full 6min flights and the governor set for 8800 rpm with the APC E 11 1/2x 4 1/2 prop pull 77% out of the pack. Today used an APCE 11 3/4 x 4 1/2, flew 6 min, 5.25sec laps (got a lap time one lap before cutout same as at the beginning) pulled 84%, ending voltage was 9.68 (3s2P A123 pack). I am going to increase the pitch to 4 3/4 to try move the lap time to 5.0.

Alan, this should also work with the Brodak motor since it has a similar 1500Kv rating.

Best,        Dennis

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
Hello All,

Hi Dennis,
Sounds great!

Walt,
Good luck and keep us informed.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
Dean,
Your formula has shed some light on what I am trying to achieve for an E-Speed Class A model
"nominal voltage of the battery times Kv then times 0.7" Your following statement was "This, together
with line length and desired lap time, dictates the pitch of the prop. Would you care to eloborate on this ? Assuming the line length is 42' and the lap time, in theory, was 14/10. How do you determine the pitch !

Scott

Hi Scott,
This is another thing entirely, so I am going to spin off your original message into another thread entitled "Kv-Pitch and Lap Time"
Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here