News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor Size ?  (Read 955 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor Size ?
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
How does one select a control line  motor.

Example    AXI  2826-8,  2826-10,  2826-12
              Orbit  30-10,  30-12,       30-14
               This is just an example of motors I'm sure there is a host of them that will work just fine. With in the same size 
plane         

What are we looking for beside Price?   As far as I can tell they are all strong enough to fly any IC plane. with resonable weight.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

Re: Motor Size ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »
Larry,
Although price is a "feature" to be sure, for 35 size planes, I think motors in the "28" or "30" mm diameter (armature) and magnets in the 14-20 mm length have plenty of moxie for our applications (e.g. AXI 2814 or 2829, or Scorpion 3014 or 3020). As the plane moves up in size to the 40 to 46 glow equivalent, you may think about the 26mm length magnet size (AXI 2826 or Scorpion 3026).

The ability of a motor to shed heat (at the upper levels of their application range) is determined by their surface area, which is why you see the longer (and wider) motors rated for higher power than the shorter (and narrower) ones. For example, the AXI 2820 and Scorpion 3020 are rated for max powers in the 800 watt range. My max power that I have seen on my ENobler is ~474Watts for a very brief period, so I believe we are really NOT stressing these motors. One reason I chose the 3020 over the longer 3026 was that I saved 1.3 oz in motor weight. I am guessing the 3014 would work fine too (and would save me another 1.1 oz). There is about an oz. difference between the AXI 2826 and 2820. One other detail is that there is a little less flexing along the motor shaft with the shorter length motors, but I don't think anyone is having an issue up to the "26" length sizes.

What depends on brand is bearing quality, permanent magnet strength (and temperature rating), lamination thickness (thinner the better). I don't think you can beat the AXI in terms of its quality (speaking about outrunners so as not to start an in-runner vs out-runner war!!). However if you want to get started in electric without completely blowing the bank account, there are much less expensive "good" quality motors which are just as powerful and efficient as the AXI. My guess is that they won't last as long as an AXI (or the equivalent--there are other excellent quality motors)---bearings may wear out, things like that. Anyway that's why I chose to play with Scorpion motors, they are pretty good quality, and are about 1/2 the cost (I think) than the AXI---especially if you consider you get everything including motor mount, prop shaft adapter, bullet connectors in the basic price. That lets me play with the 3 motors I have (3014, and two 3020's).

Now there are "Uber" cheap motors, and I haven't gone for those. There you might be worried about QC and construction quality on the very short time scale (like first flight). I have shied away from this end of the spectrum mainly because I do want something that works---at some point you are risking a reasonable investment, and there is no reason, I think, to go overboard---at least more than I already have n~

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »
Thanks Alan  I guess I will stay with what I have AXI 2826/10.   Or will -8/-20 be better? my plane is about 630 sq inch 60" wing span.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »
Larry,
I think "better" is a difficult thing to qualify. It (2820 vs 2826) would be a little lighter but a little less efficient (converting battery power into prop thrust), so it isn't clear to me that you would notice much if any difference. However in the future (on an new setup) you could save a little money on the smaller motor, but for something you already have, I'd say to stay with it.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:38:31 AM »
Larry,

I agree with Alan on this, start with what you have it will work fine. I have used the AXI 2820-8 with a 3s2p A123 (10V) battery pack in my test ship that weighted 57oz, 625 sq", CC 45 ESC, APC_E 11 3/4x5 prop (cut down and repitched 12x6) it pulled the ship on 64' 0.015 lines at 5.0sec lap time. It used 3750mah out of the 4600mah in the A123 pack for a 6min flight. I currently put that system into a new profile with 595sq" and 57oz, flies it the same. Go for it!!!

Best,         Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here