News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Breaking in TP batteries.  (Read 947 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Breaking in TP batteries.
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »
In a couple of resent threads There has been some discussion on breaking in new TP batteries. So i wanted to start a new thread to get the skinney on this subject.  The TP instruction sheet says: For the first few cycles TP recommends that no more than 3-5C average discharge for breaking in new packs.  In an other thread Fred Underwood stated "Break in according to TP is no more than 3 - 5C.  You could also lower your rate, since no minimum is required, if I am interpreting correctly."   Assuming this is true  I have a discharger from RC Mart that will discharge a pack at 4 amps or for my 2800 pack this is 1.4C discharge rate.  This is less than 3-5C so it should be good.  I am able to set the discharger to cutoff at 3.3V/cell.  So I am thinking that 3 cycles with the above setup should be a good break-in.  What say you?

Attached is a picture of my discharge setup.  Black module in series with battery is an amp meter.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:26:45 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Breaking in TP batteries.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »
Since you quoted me, my opinion, that voltage is too low!  I looked at some of my old datalogs and see a shut off voltage of about 3.6 volts/cell still under load at the end of a flight.  That is at an average amp draw of about 20.  That quickly bounces to about 3.75+ in a minute of so after shut off.  I would not run a break in below about 3.7 - 3.75 under your light load.  Actually, I don't go lower with a 10 amp load, though I haven't seen a upper and lower limit for break in voltages.  A couple of soft cycles at around 3.7 - 3.75 under load, and 4.1V charge is my choice.  About 1C charge and what ever available discharge under the recommended 3 - 5C range.  I get out about 180 - 200ma per minute.  That works well enough and constant enough, that if I come home with an unused pack (6s 2700 - 2800), I can discharge for about 6 - 7 minutes and approach storage.

Some use two of those units together and get a higher rate.  I mentioned that on a discharger thread, and gave the RC link.  Howard built a two unit system, so, you can increase the rate. I looked up the link in an old thread here and the original links

https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/battery-discharger/

A balancer/discharger for stand alone use is the RCMart 3-in1 balancer discharger.

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-3in1-battery-balancer-discharger-voltage-indicator-150w-discharging-p-4767.html

One unit gives about 4 amps discharge, and they can be paralleled giving 4, 8, or 12 amps of discharge as described below, "An effective variable load automatic LiPo discharger."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2406395#post31524795

Fred

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I will go with the 3.75V cutoff.  That makes sense.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:37 PM »
You're welcome. 

I think on the last batteries I went from the arrival charge to about 4.0V, down to about 3.8V and then charge to 4.1, then discharge to 3.75V.  Then ready for flying. I used to try 3 soft cycles and now 2.  I watched balance and internal resistance and they seems good and stable after a couple soft cycles.  I haven't found any specific data on the end points or numbers of cycles, so I just watched a few packs and cycles on a PowerLab charger.  I do the same for Zippy's.  I'm open to a best method/best practice when found.

Some might say that our use is soft and we don't need break in.  On 6s 2700mah packs and an average of 20 amps, the draw is about 7 - 8C average.  Yes, peaks are higher, but not like some RC and heli users who approach/exceed the C rating.  But I can see better balance, and lower of IR with a cycle or two.  Of course, just flying them might accomplish the same IR and balance.  I don't know if it helps prolong the battery life as we use them, but TP recommends.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:39:06 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here