News:

• April 17, 2024, 07:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor run-up shut down?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor run-up shut down?
« on: January 05, 2021, 08:51:02 AM »
OK just got my battery issue solved (bad cell) so time to smoke test the flight set-up. I set the timer (old Zetron, only use to time flight) for a 10 sec run to check rpm. The Castle Creation Talon 35 ESC was set with the 5S battery and 910kV fixed rpm at 11K which it accepted as 70% for the battery/motor set point.

All was going well, I figured out the neat way to route the battery wires and strapped it in. Got my tack ready and flipped ton the power switch. Motor delay ran down and motor starts to spin up (in the correct direction for my chosen prop). As it  gets to about 90% rpm it starts to slow like a soft cutoff. Just to make sure that there wasn't something set in the timer that I didn't know about I change to a second timer that I knew was set at full open throttle. Same result.

Is there any setting in the CC Talon 35 ESC that will cut it off? Motor is a HobbyStar 2814 - 910kV, running a 9x6 APCEP.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 06:26:03 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Motor run-up shut down?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 05:28:55 PM »
The 910 kv is most likely a bit high for the 5 cell and the 9x6 prop. You are most likely overheating the ESC. You need to get down to about 800kv plus or minus about 25 for the motor. You could lower the pitch and spin it faster or put a smaller prop on it and spin it faster. At 70% you are on the edge anyway and like motorman said running it on the ground is not usually advised. Put a 6 or 7 inch prop on it for a ground test run and it will most likely not shut down . When I do ground run ups I always use a much smaller prop than my fly prop. Your set up is pretty much what we use on a 4 cell battery not 5. Hope this helps some. You could post your setting for the Talon if you want, Many of us her could look at them and see if something is drastically off but I have a feeling it is going to be close.
AMA 98010

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 05:49:29 PM »
Dennis,
To answer your question..Yes.  You'll need the Castle link software.  There is a setting for over amp sensitivity you can set for the Talon 35 ESC.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »
Dave knows all about the over amp sensitivity or lack of it!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 07:05:03 AM »
You can (and should) bench test new electric setups IF you can monitor whats going on. Buy an ammeter, use a servo tester and keep an eye on the temperature of all the components. Once you have a handle on what the system is doing then you can make informed adjustments, without guessing.
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 08:17:06 AM »
Success!!! OK, I call CC and they confirmed what I thought about over current on start-up. I then did a no load run-up with the same settings and it run up all the way and held for the full 10 sec test (this is what I use for all ground tests). I then hooked up my CC link and put all the motor parameters to medium and set the current cut-off to "normal" (had been on very sensitive).

Put the APCEP 9x6 prop on and out to smoke test. This time it spun up smoothly and to full rpm no problem, held for the full 10 sec test run time. I do have a BAD ASS 2320 x 820kV on order but for now will de-pitch the 9x6 to maybe 4.5 and give it a go for some short flight tests. I also ordered some of Inova8tive's 10x4R wood props (they are in the multi rotor accessory area on their web site, several sizes 10" is the minimum diameter). I can cut these down and re-pitch as needed (wood props can be heat pitched just as you would an APC, only need to heat soak a minute or so before twisting).

UPDATE:  I found a setting in the ESC for the current cutoff that allows a soft which cuts rpm to allowable current level or a hard cut off that cuts the motor. I had the ESC set for soft so that seems to explain why it just dropped down in rpm.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 06:23:41 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 07:25:38 PM »
I wanted to resurface this thread because I was trying to get a little bit more out of my Barnstomer setup, the shutdown issue occurred. Luckly, I remembered I had this issue with the Ringmaster and found it was over current on motor start. Going into my ESC setting I had set the initial spool-up to high 8 and the motor start power was set to 90. This caused over current on motor start. I reset the spool-up to 6 and the motor start power to 60. I then did a 10 sec ground test and the motor went through its full startup and came up to full rpm and ran out the timers and did a solid shut down with no over-current signals from the ESC.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 08:49:17 AM »
Update: Today I got out for a full test flight. All was set and the weather was holding (was supposed to be raining all weekend) so I figured I would see if I could get the fight in. Flight went as planned, motor start was smooth and solid the whole flight with a clean cut off. No ESC beeps or signals for over current.

Seems the good starting point for any of the Castle Creation ESC's is to set the start spool-up rate and motor start power to medium, current cut off can be set to normal with hard cutoff. This is what I call the Fox 35, 10x6 prop, 5%N superfuel set up, it is reliable, simple and easy to set up.

Best,   DennisT   
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 07:14:40 AM by Dennis Toth »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here