News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:05:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor Quality - what makes a great ECL motor?  (Read 3977 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor Quality - what makes a great ECL motor?
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
Guys,

One thing that I am wondering about when it comes to selecting an ECL motor is what qualities we need (bearings, magnets, quality of wire/insulation, temp rating?

Looking at the available choice's there is a pretty big swing in price. Now if all these motors were made in the same place with the same monetary exchange rate we could likely rank them by price - higher price better componets. However since some are made in the EU countries and some in China or other Asian countries and some in the US well other things impact the price. Has anyone looked into the various brands to see what makes them different and how those differences are reflected in the price?

Best,                    DennisT

Alan Hahn

Re: Motor Quality - what makes a great ECL motor?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »
There are certainly quality issues with these motors--but sometimes it is hard to make the correlation with price!

Electric motors are pretty simple compared for example with a good "stunt run" glow engine. In the latter there is a lot of "black magic" and most of the time you get what you pay for.

But in electric motors, there is a just a simple theory about how they operate, so even a crappy one will work as the theory says--just may have crappy parameters.

But as far as I can see, here are some of the issues with electric.

1) Quality of materials---good strong heat resistant magnets, heat resistant wire insulation, good bearings, thin low loss laminations for the stator (0.2mm seems to be about the best.
2) Quality of stator design---you don't want to have your iron saturate
3) Construction quality--consistent winding (same number of winds/tooth), magnet gluing, good solder connections at the winding termination
4) QC--does it work when you get it. And is it easy to get it replaced if not.

Item 2 is probably not a big determinant-- since most knock-off companies will be copying any good design after a short time I bet.
Item 3 is probably better with the better (higher cost) manufacturers--but there are issues there to (like magnets coming loose)
Item 1 is probably the largest differentiator in cost, although except for bearings perhaps, we aren't really stressing our equipment in control line (at least I'm not).

I think the issue with the European motors is the exchange rate with the $. It is brutal. So even if companies like AXI have improved manufacturing efficiencies, the cost doesn't fall as fast as the Euro has been rising.

Like I have said, I have typically gone middle of the road--not the highest, not the lowest. Up to now I have been satisfied. Could I go cheaper and still be happy? Probably, although I might have issues with my batteries if the cheaper design is less efficient (because my batteries are not over-sized with their capacity).

My 2 (US $) cents!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
Unless good motors are a lot lighter or use less electricity for the same power as mediocre motors, it might be a reliability issue.  A modiocre stunt engine is mediocre every flight.  A mediocre motor may run fine, but have a high failure probability.  This might be OK for most folks, but a guy like Jim Aron who takes two years to build a front-row stunter would pay a little more to reduce the probability of having all the magnets fly off during an overhead eight.  Even if the failure mode isn't that dramatic, if you spend a thousand dollars going to a contest, you don't want to risk losing a flight to a bad motor.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
Unless good motors are a lot lighter or use less electricity for the same power as mediocre motors, it might be a reliability issue.  A modiocre stunt engine is mediocre every flight.  A mediocre motor may run fine, but have a high failure probability.  This might be OK for most folks, but a guy like Jim Aron who takes two years to build a front-row stunter would pay a little more to reduce the probability of having all the magnets fly off during an overhead eight.  Even if the failure mode isn't that dramatic, if you spend a thousand dollars going to a contest, you don't want to risk losing a flight to a bad motor.  

One problem is that I have heard of magnets being tossed with about every brand---even some of the best ones. To some extent some of these cases may have been exacerbated by overheating problems (especially when I read them in RC forums), but I am not sure.

I had one case in which my own hand-wound and glued motor began losing a magnet (fortunately I discovered it by noticing the magnet was protruding a bit from the shell). I had used a recommended product --a rubberized Loctite adhesive, but evidently didn't use enough (or something  HB~>). With my last build, I used JB-Weld and I think I used a pretty good technique. We will see!

But lately I have been using production built motors.

I suppose if I had a $1k plane, even with a top of the line motor, I would consider running it in to make sure any poor gluing would show itself as early as possible.  Of course I don't run $1k planes, so I won't worry that much!

The other thing to consider is that when we talk about "high cost", these motors aren't really that expensive in the big scheme of things. To me the major expense is still the batteries.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »
I think the jury is still out - no one has exposed a REAL problem on a cheap motor nor made a compelling case that an expensive motor is worth the investment.  As someone pointed out the prices on Euro-badged motors are skewed by poor economics - not necessarily value-adding features or QC.

I have stopped buying motors (except small ones) that have less than a 5mm shaft on them because I think the shaft - and the larger bearings that go with it are a positive for motor robustness.  I have also gotten a little more conservative on the motor - going slightly larger than needed as a means of trying to keep the motor running less stressed.  I REALLY need to start using some external bearing supports per Bob Hunt & Crist Righotti...

One feature I will be looking for is an alternative to collet style prop adapters.  Some motors bolt the adapter to the motor case.  However Great Planes (et al?) offer set-screw type adapters on the motor shaft. 

(edit to add this:)
Another great feature will be the motor cooling fans - assuming of course the REST of the airplane has proper cooling channels built in! 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:55:57 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »
Dennis--re the cooling fans.

My feeling is that if you need cooling fans, you are overstressing the motor. If you are doing that, then it is probably running past its best efficiency point and converting too much of your battery energy into a space heater!

In this case I'd argue you should go up a size larger in the motor. Saving weight in a motor, and then having to carry a larger battery isn't a good tradeoff IMHO!

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
Alan:
I agree with you, about motor selection and have started using that sligthly conservative approach.  Another small pay-off is that it seems the SLIGHTLY larger motors have the same or a little less mah usage.

I am having a devil of a time getting comfortable with really good motor cooling set-ups.  Most installations I see are pretty poor, even the profiles typically hide the motor behind the spinner.  The ducted spinner worked well on one airplane and not at all on another.  The best installation I have seen is the radial cowl on the Mythbuster.   Have not figured out how to get anything really viable out of a chin scoop.  My Vector installation is like yours - a duct in the nose ring and a spinner nut.

Thus I mention the cooling fan becaue I am speculating that it would help even a poor installation, albeit costing some power in the process...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
How hot do you think your setup is getting?

I haven't flown the Vector in a while--result of a takeoff "incident". When I was flying it, I don't really recall thinking that the motor really felt that warm at all. With the Nobler, the fiberglass cowl doesn't make motor access easy--without removing the prop. However I "think" I touched it after a flight some time back and again didn't think it felt hot. If it were warm, I think I would have noticed it.

Fortunately with the Scorpions, the magnets are rated to a pretty high temperature (200oC), as is the wire insulation. However if you are getting that hot in a stunt application, I think the motor is just too small.

I do have a temperature probe for my datalogger, but have never plugged it in.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
I wonder if a future "intelligent" ESC would be able to use motor or battery temp data to go to a "safe" mode and avoid damaging the equipment. It wouldn't be too hard.

Also, temperature data during maneuvers has to be interesting. When a motor overheats, I suspect its efficiency goes to pot, perhaps a regenerative state where damage/failure is imminent can occur.

You mention throwing magnets, as overheating may be causing glue failures. But aren't magnets damaged by excessive heat? Doesn't the viability of these little motors for our application depend on some very strong, high quality magnets?

Just thinking out loud, I'm probably very wrong in my suppositions about this subject.

L.

"kill to do comes of doing." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
I'm with Alan on this one: if the motor is too hot and you have decent cooling air ingress/egress then you are running too small (read that light) of a motor. It's not that hard, really.

Dennis' observation that under-stressed motors are somewhat more efficient is true, and they are because of my favorite reason to declare one motor better than another ... low winding resistance. This improves both efficiency (assuming both have similar Kv's) and it also means that in the very short term, if the ESC governor adds 0.1 volts to help go up, then more instantaneous current flows to help fight all that gravity and induced drag.

My rule for better (aside from build quality) if 2 motors have similar weight and Kv, then the one with the lower resistance wins. Many motor manufacturers don't or won't specify it! If the Kv's are different, then compare the resistances by using my fudge factor of (Kv-a / Kv-b)^1.8. The exponent should be 2, but the reality of wire sizes and packing them in results in a great fit to 1.8.

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:04:25 AM »
Some time ago I measured few motors on spin 44 set for 9100rpm with 12x4 APC (aproximately the same load as in flight 12x6E)

I measured it with 6sA123 and some with 4sLipo ... just to see how it performs on PWM   
first and second numeric colums are in watts, so it is well comparable at differenet woltage
Ri in in mohm and induction is in uH

All axis are of the same dimmensions, mvvs4,8 is the same size like AXI, but covered in case with fan, MVVS8 is jeavier outrunner as well as Dualsky, Scorpion is little smaller than AXI
Jeti Phasor is 6 pole inrunner little heavier than AXI, both MEGA are smaller inrunner of the same construction like phasor, both differing in number of winding and strength of magnets (3E has stronger magnets than 4)

if anyone see some reraltions, I would like to know it  >:D

6sA123       4sLipo   kv   ri   I0   L
AXI 2826/10   370   340   920   28   2.2   7
AXI 2826/12   334      760   42   1.5   12
AXI 2826/13   328      680   45   1.4   
MVVS 4,6 840      330   840   33   1.6   18
MVVS 8 680   350      680   21   1.9   
SCII 3020 780   334      780   30   1.2   
dualsky 4250 850   355      850   18   2.5   9
Jeti phasor 30-3   355      1050   38   1.5   
mega 22/20/4   440      1510   51   0.95   
mega 22/20/3E   425   380   1510   32   2.1   

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:27:48 AM »
How hot do you think your setup is getting?

Hottest I ever MEASURED was around 130F.  However I had another that was clearly running hot despite best efforts to fix.  Never had the temp sensor handy - but after flight you could tell there was a lot of heat there.  The motor definitely was NOT overloaded: Reimfire 35-36 with a 10x5 APC at around 10k.  Same motor had flown often and well with an 11x5.5 on another bird...

The hot motor I mentioned was a smallish Turnigy 28-36 swinging a  10x5 APC at 10,900.  FLown just one flight - it got it done but was obviously laboring.  Post flight also showed battery usage at over 2400mah, on a bird that uses maybe 2000-2100 using a larger motor.  My conclusion was that the higher current draw was a byproduct of the motor being overloaded.  Had a similar experience when I replaced the 35-36 in the MB with a 35-42.  Data size is small but the 6mm longer motor uses around 100mah less.  I would expect larger motors would be diminishing returns tho...

So Alan & Dean - (forgive me if I am mis-representing what you said) are you saying that motor cooling is (almost) a non-concern as long as the motor is comfortably large enough for the task at hand?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »
Hottest I ever MEASURED was around 130F.  However I had another that was clearly running hot despite best efforts to fix.  Never had the temp sensor handy - but after flight you could tell there was a lot of heat there.  The motor definitely was NOT overloaded: Reimfire 35-36 with a 10x5 APC at around 10k.  Same motor had flown often and well with an 11x5.5 on another bird...

The hot motor I mentioned was a smallish Turnigy 28-36 swinging a  10x5 APC at 10,900.  FLown just one flight - it got it done but was obviously laboring.  Post flight also showed battery usage at over 2400mah, on a bird that uses maybe 2000-2100 using a larger motor.  My conclusion was that the higher current draw was a byproduct of the motor being overloaded.  Had a similar experience when I replaced the 35-36 in the MB with a 35-42.  Data size is small but the 6mm longer motor uses around 100mah less.  I would expect larger motors would be diminishing returns tho...

So Alan & Dean - (forgive me if I am mis-representing what you said) are you saying that motor cooling is (almost) a non-concern as long as the motor is comfortably large enough for the task at hand?

I think yes!

As I think I said on some thread (can't keep track of them anymore!), the larger motor will be more efficient than the smaller motor. This is easy to see by just comparing two motors in a family--like the AXI 2020 and 2826. These have the same stator design--the 2826 is just longer (and with longer magnets). If both are wound for the same kV, the 2826 will have 20/26 fewer turns than the 2820--but each turn will be 26/20 times longer. With fewer # of turns, each turn can have thicker wire ( cross sectional area will just be 26/20 times more). So multiplying things up, the wire resistance scales as the length*#turns/area which in this case goes as
                       ratio resistance (2826/2820) = 26/20 *(20/26)/(26/20)= 20/26
so the bigger motor has less resistance.

If we turn the same prop at the same rpm in each case, the current needed will be the same for both motors. So the bigger motor will generate less heat than the small motor. Less one thinks that you can keep supersizing the motor, eventually you will have to worry about magnetic losses (coming from having to magnetize and demagnetize all that iron every commutation cycle), so there is an optimum size.

Another detail is that the larger motor has more surface area to shed the heat, and therefore will run cooler just from that. I think most heat is lost though the iron shell of the motor than from air through the motor itself, so as long as some air flows along the outside of the motor, it will be sufficiently cooled.

So I would go so far to say that your last statement "...that motor cooling is (almost) a non-concern as long as the motor is comfortably large enough for the task at hand?" is almost a definition of how big to size the motor!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 10:28:57 AM »
>>>Less one thinks that you can keep supersizing the motor, eventually you will have to worry about magnetic losses (coming from having to magnetize and demagnetize all that iron every commutation cycle), so there is an optimum size.<<<

Exactly, we have iron loses and copper loses. Best efficiency depends on voltage and so if you use large voltage, you can come to best efficiency current which is higher than max allowed current for that motor, so it is not everytime true that bigger is better ... as you say "there is an optimum size"

Hmm ... I see that my table is somehow corrupted, but you can see some examples that bigger is sometimes worse .. for example those two mvvs motors. It will change if you will load them by larger prop, that larger motor will win.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
table again

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
It makes sense that larger wire diameters have the lower resistance. It's not just a matter of cross sectional area, however, because AC tends to flow around outer surfaces (skin effect). However, skin effects may be reduced or even negligible at lower frequencies. As frequency increases, effective resistance of wire increases, and the skin effects are due to eddy currents in the conductor. There are specially wound wires and even tubular conductors designed to reduce these effects. Not sure how they work for motor windings..

And, classically, almost all common conductors exhibit more resistance when they are heated. There are some materials that do not do this, but I can't remember what they are. The material in some thermistors (some kind of sintered alloy semiconductor?) has a negative temperature coefficient.

Wondering aloud again, someday when you hear of extremely efficient electric motors using sputter constructed semiconductors instead of metal wires, remember my fickle pondering about it. Maybe it will be the result of some kind of stacked "printed circuit" motor.. They are making stacked structures in integrated circuits nowadays. Perhaps nano technology can someday be applied to build a very, very good motor.

The other thing which comes to mind is using a solid state cooling device, like a Peltier thermal device, to provide cooling of windings. (However, such devices are not particularly efficient, I suspect it might be something less even than a zero sum game for such an application.)

It would seem the solution would be superconductors; we could top off the liquid He in the old dewar before each flight!

L.

"You moon the wrong person at an office party and suddenly you're not 'professional' any more." -Jeff Foxworthy
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Alan Hahn

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »
Larry,
The frequencies (~150 Hz * ~14 commutations/revolution ~2.1kHz) that are relevant in the motor make the skin effect negligible. However if they were, then larger diameter wire would even be more important.

You are right about temperature increasing the resistance of the copper wire--another reason to keep it as small as possible.

I've used Peltier coolers and believe me, they are pretty power hungry!

Most us are flying at input power ratings of 200-400 watts (level flight). If our motors are 70% efficient (a value that is pretty crummy I think), then we are producing 60-120 watts of heat. This isn't negligible by any means. I haven't seen any major heat problem with my setups. Drive Calc claims my motor efficiency of my setup is 84% (level flight values). I take that with a big grain of salt!

Advertise Here
Tags: motor 

Advertise Here