News:

• May 20, 2024, 05:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor cooling  (Read 444 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Motor cooling
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
I have a feel for the cooling vent opening requirements for a glo engine, but
I need help determining cooling openings for an electric.  I want to use a spinner, with
an inlet vent below the spinner, but it seems that the spinner would block airflow to the
motor.

Is there some sort of "thumb rule" for vent area vs motor size (Watts)?

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Motor cooling
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
Floyd,

I would be interested in a "formula" myself - however - I do know that if you have your system set up correctly that you can use a spinner without any issues on overheating -

My Legacy has a hole in cowl only (per plans) and the air only tracks over one side of the motor "can" and it does not get hot at all.

I have plenty of airflow over the ESC tho - which (i understand) is important
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Motor cooling
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
Hi Floyd,
   I have questions myself about the cooling aspects of ECL.The plane I plan to use for my first attempt is a Brodak Accentor.It is a built up fuse type but the cylinder of the engine is completely exposed outside of the cowling for cooling.There is NO provision for cooling anything else and I have to figure something out for the motor ESC and the battery too.I spoke with a friend that flies Electric R/C pylon racers and he suggested using a plastic disposable spoon to make lightweight scoops out of.He said to cut the spoon part in half crossways.You can discard the handle and back half of the spoon and what is left is a nice little light weight scoop!!He said to CA it where it will do the most good and put a layer of light weight fiberglass cloth over it for reinforcement.He could not say how many of these I should use for my application because I don't have all my components yet but it is a good idea and a place to start.Just remember to figure for an air outlet because the inlet air needs to exit somewhere.Thanx for bringing this topic up as it needs to be addressed.Maybe someones lightbulb will go off in their head and get a starting formula.I will keep an eye on this post for updates.Jeff Traxler
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here