News:

• May 20, 2024, 05:09:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor choice for larger models?  (Read 2644 times)

Online Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor choice for larger models?
« on: September 10, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
What would be an appropriate motor for models in the 680 inch range with a target weight around 65 ounces? I have an unbuilt Score with all the covering stripped that is an easy electric conversion (already has RC type firewall mount) and an unbuilt Brodak Legacy kit. I am new to this and not sure how to size the motor to fit the model and the battery. (I am figuring on at least a TP V2 3900 mah 4-cell 20C-40C 14.8 battery.) There must be published guidelines on this subject but not sure where to look.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Motor choice for larger models?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
Mike - check the "post your setup" thread at the top here - lots of info there
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
also check the "e-Strega flies" thread.

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
Mike anything that big I would think about a Plettenberg 30-12 with a TP pro Lite V2 4350 mAh 5s 18.5v and C/C Phoenix-60 with FMA CL timer from Kaz.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »
Mike,

Set-up #1 (plenty of power)
Turnigy SK 42-50-650
Turnigy 25C 5S 3300 cells
Phoenix ICE 50 ESC
Will Hublin FM-2 Timer
13 x 4 or 13 x 6.5 APC "E" prop

Set-up #2 (higher power)
Turnigy SK 42-50-650
Turnigy 22C 6S 3000 Li-Poly
Phoenix ICE 50 ESC
Will Hublin FM-2 Timer
13 x 4 APC "E" prop

The 6S set-up flew the EP Strega very well on 66' eye to eye .018" lines @ 5.0-5.3 sec/lap.  The ARF Strega weighs 79 ozs.  Power was no issue.  The Score should respond well to either power system.  I recommend the Turnigy cells because they can be charged up to 3C and that makes turnaround time for multiple flights very reasonable.  I would also recommend the Turnigy Accucell 8 charger because it is inexpensive and has a bunch of bang for the buck.  All of these items except the ESC and Timer are available through www.hobbycity.com  Shipping is quick and the quality is very good.  The timer is direct from Will and I get my Castle controllers from Tower Hobbies.

Hope this helps!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Kim Doherty

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »
If it were me, (or if it were someone else whom you may trust) and if I were currently building something to be powered by electrical power I might think of using the following:

1) Orbit 20-16.  (720kv) It weighs about 7.5 ounces
2) Schulze 18.46 F2B Esc (why program something when you can get a completely optimized device off the shelf)
3) 4000 mAh 5S2P Thunder Power ProLite  "cubes". 14 ounces
4) Master Airscrew wood 13*6 prop.

But this is only something conjured up by old men, and what do old men know?

Kim. 

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
Thanks guys. Looking at the prices for the TGY SK42-50 for $26, and the TGY 3000MaH 6S 20 Lipo at $35, those prices seem impossible compared to say AXI and TP motors and battery prices. Is this for real, and is the product any good? If so, why do lots of users apparently opt for AXI 2826 motors for $150 and TP batteries of about this capacity for $150? Does this mean you DON'T get what you pay for??

Kim Doherty

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:27:07 PM »
Thanks guys. Looking at the prices for the TGY SK42-50 for $26, and the TGY 3000MaH 6S 20 Lipo at $35, those prices seem impossible compared to say AXI and TP motors and battery prices. Is this for real, and is the product any good? If so, why do lots of users apparently opt for AXI 2826 motors for $150 and TP batteries of about this capacity for $150? Does this mean you DON'T get what you pay for??

Mike,

You need to decide what level of reliability, weight and performance you both WANT and NEED. All of the components you have listed will "work". If you are competing for a spot on Team USA F2B 2012 then your equipment choice will be different.

You do get what you pay for. You also might get to rebuild what you pay for more often depending on what you pay.

Kim.

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:45 PM »
2012? Well, I can always hope ... That's also the year I will qualify for Medicare!

I do note that the TGY lipo is relatively heavy compared to the TP "lite" series, but I guess the underlying question is, so what? 677 inches with a thick airfoil will carry a lot of weight.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
Mike,
You have to make these decisions all the time---a PA Aerotiger 36, or a Magnum 36,......

I think all the advice given will work just fine.

Personally, I chose a middle course---not too expensive, not too cheap.

My motor choice is a Scorpion, which for your size plane would probably be one of the 3026 line (equivalent to the AXI 2826 line). Check out http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/index.php?cPath=21_25_80

My current ESC of choice is the Castle Creations Phoenix Ice Lite 50 (just bought one last night for $81 from Todds models http://www.toddsmodels.com/Castle_Creations_ESC_s/39.htm ). This is the best thing going these days, since it has all the features of the normal Phoenix series plus includes a data recorder for motor rpm, battery volts, amps, a free PC link (previous $25 cost) which is used both for downloading the data and uploading any programming that you might want to do. Plus it includes a great motor governor and a prop brake feature--or in other words, everything you need for e-CL use. Also allows up to a 6s lipo packs (the "lite" version) or 8s for the normal version which includes a heat sink (but also weighs about an ounce more than the "lite").

For a timer, I have used the JMP-2, the Ztron-CLT3, and Will Hubin's line. You can't miss there. Here is a link http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?categoryID=46&offset=8 (bottom of page for JMP-2, next page for Ztron. Will Hubin posts here and will give you info on his timers.

For batteries and chargers I have been using the FMA line  http://fmadirect.com/  .

Like I said, all of this is working for me and others. You take your pick----I don't think you will lose with any of the suggestions already given here. <=

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:34:57 AM »
Mike:
Kim's advice about buying quality is spot-on.  The question is how to spot and judge that quality?  He notes that the high price components are also high quality components and I will not dispute that.  However, I think there are equal or nearly equal quality components available for much lower prices.  I think the way we choose the sytem and ho hard it has to work also determines how long it will last.

In brushless motors the only "wear" parts are ball bearings - nothing else touches.  some of the smaller lighter motors are built with 3mm 1/8" or 4mm motor shafts.  The motor shaft is a major structural part of the motor (reducing any flex) so a larger motor shaft is good, plus it naturally leads to larger ball bearings.  The SK42-60 uses a 5mm shaft and is appears to be very robust - Archie's recommendation to use it is based on the fact that he has one and is very enthusaistic about it.  Electrically the SK motors are suspposed to be built using thin stator laminations (supposed to be a good thing) and I am not sure how to judge if there is a low price versus high price version of coppoer wire.  The price looks like fiction, but you are buying at the source from someone who builds millions of motors.  Also as you will see the shippping costs will make up for some of that price advantage!

Batteries are a little tougher to judge - ya can't SEE the working parts!  However I think we are very much in the era where battery quality and performance is growing in leaps and bounds while production capabilities are driving costs way down - much like what happened with PCs awhile back!  Still remember my Packard Bell 486 machine discounted to $2400...!  The Thunder Power packs have always been very good, but the gap has shrunk to much smaller than what it was.  Oddly enough there is precious little DATA or real life anecdotal experience that says that today's CHEAP batteries really wear out too fast!  Today's "cheap" packs have a faster discharge rate, and a faster recharge rate then did the high priced packs of a few years ago.  What drives battery size weight and costs are the higher "C" ratings.  However we really do not need high C rated batteries.  Personally I am avoiding anything below a 20C rating as being "old technology" - I guess some of Kim's advice IS rubbing off on me!

I think the best place to spend money is on the battery CHARGER/BALANCER.  This is where (IMO) the biggest strides have been made.  A good charger will help maximize battery life, a bad charger will bring down even an expensive battery.  Again the Hobby City Accucell 8 may be the best charger you can buy at any price.  The Accucel 6 ihas many of the same features and costs less.  Either will treat your batteries well.

On the ESC - no place to scrimp!  The Castle Creations Phoenix 45 or tne new ICE-50 with the built in data-logger are excellent.  I have no direct experience with the Shulze so I cannot comment but Kim can certainly answer any questions about it.

I am using only Will Hubin timers and am vey happy with them.  Others are using Ztrons and JMP's and they are happy with them.  Go figure.

Finally, one way to add longevity is to keep the stress levels low.  A SLIGHTLY larger motor or SLIGHTLY higher capacity battery will not have to work as hard as their optimized alternatives.  The biggest battery I am flying now is a 3600 mah - on a bird that only uses 2600 mah for a pattern.  This is in a 61 oz profile flying on 018" x 66' lines with a 12x6 pusher prop.  At the end of the flight the motor temperature is hard to sense - scarcely above ambient.  That in my opinion is a low stress combo that should last for a long time.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »
Many, many thanks to all of you for your detailied and in-depth discussion of the issues. Everything I know about E-power I learned in the last week! I am fortunate to have several knowledgeable E-users in the area (Larry Wong, plus Eric Rogers who already has an E-Score)(though it did catch fire or something at last contest). I too am a believer in buying all the quality you can afford, and have PA engines for wet power. But also don't want to over-buy, as Kim reminds us. I have 3 Hubin timers in the mail as we speak.

The choice I am wrestling with is to build a smaller Vector (either from a kit, which I am presently flying on wet power, or an ARC), with AXI motor and TP batteries, or use my Score for a larger, heavier but paradoxically maybe less expensive, setup. I already have a Score with Enya 61CXS Pro power and like it a lot. With "problems" like this it proves we really are in the Golden Age of CL Stunt!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
Mike:
Actually when you buy the Score power package, take a look at Vector sized motors too.  The SK35-42-1000 ($17.51) and Rhino 4sx2350 pack, matched to a Phx 35 and a 11x5.5 APC turning 9400 RPM will turn that Vector everyway but LOOSE!

BTW have you looked over the "List your Sert-ups" thread.  William DeMauro's excellent SV-11 package is similar to what you are looking at.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
Dennis,
 You beat me to it!! My SV11 package is probably the closest. Having had an wet powered Score and knowing that there was another thread out here somewhere on that plane, I would think that 65 ounces ready to fly, while not impossible, would be pretty hard to get too on that plane. Most seem to come out in the high 60's low 70's. There are more than a few packages out there that will fly the Vector. Dennis' sugestion would work well. I also like the setup on Crist's Resolve or the setup I had on my P40 over in the "List Your Setup" section. http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12044.0
AMA 98010

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »
Well I'll put in an ad for my Vector 40!

A nice combo for electric flight!

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »
Kim :
 You mean the Schulze 18.46 F2B ESC needs (no) programing?  Just plug and fly if so that's a no brainer, Question is why NOT!    HB~>  y1  y1 By the way it has been updated to 18.61K F2B  y1
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:59:14 PM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
Wow, the prices for motors and decent Lipos from these suppliers really put an end to the argument that electric is "too expensive!" We are talking an electric equivalent of the LA46 here! Motors for 40-size planes in the $20 range, batteries for $25-35, timers for $15-20. The ESC is still a little pricey, but that will surely change. I had shied away from E-power because the "good" batteries are $150 and "good" motors about the same, and you need two or three batteries to get in a decent practice session. But at these prices for evidently very servicable stuff, what is anyone waiting for? Thank goodness for enthusiast forums like this one!

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
Mike,

I have been pushing Turnigy SK motors because I have tested them thoroughly at their rated power levels and have failed making them fail.  They keep coming back for more.  I have over 200 runs on my 35-42-1000 @ 12-14,000 rpm in an RC pylon racer and it just keeps going @ 40-45 amps constant on 4S.  The Zippy Rhino 20C 2350's I have over 50 cycles on each of my 4 packs and they have yet to show any signs of giving up.  This is at the same 40-45 amp constant draw.  They give their rated capacity and I can prove that with data logged flights I have. 

Now this is a $17 dollar motor and $27 battery.  So how much do you want to spend??  Thunder power batteries are lighter, and Orbit motors will offer a few percent more efficiency.  But if you break it down, what are you really getting?  My opinion of course.

I do use Castle controllers because I have known Patrick de Castillo for many years and his stuff is to me the best out there.  For $85 dollars, you can get a controller that will handle up to 8S @ 50 amps, has a built in 5 amp BEC, and has a built in Data Logger.  Any other controllers on the market top that??

Bottom line, there is some really good equipment out there and some cost a more and some doesn't.  I have set-up and am building (2) classic models and (2) CLPA models that will use Turnigy motors and batteries and caslte controllers.  I will be at the NATS next year and will compete using them.  There have already been (2) expert Stunt contests won using Turnigy SK motors.  (Dennis Adamisin with the Mythbuster & Turnigy SK 35-42-1000)  If it were me, I would suggest that you go with what is best for you.

Most importantly, Enjoy your ECL experience.  It will really make you ask, "Why in the world do I want to fill a tank again?"

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »
Okay, having read all the above and the Strega and SV-11 reports, here is my shopping list for an E-Score:

Motor: TGY SK 42-50
ESC: Castle ICE 50
Timer: Hubin
Battery: In 3300-3700 mah range, 4s or 5s, 20C to 30c, TGY or Rhino
Charger: TGY Accucel-8
Prop: APC 13 inch pusher when available

So, do I get a smiley face for this parts choice? The real head scratcher is still the battery. Users report putting back in from 2000 to 3000 ma after a 6-minute stunt flight, so the "80% discharge" guideline indicates a battery around 3300 at least. I don't know the reasons why 4s or 5s rating, but the higher ones seem to deliver more current with less heat. Some good candidates are the TGY 3300 4s 20C, TGY 3300 5s 30C, Rhino 3700 5s 20C, Rhino 3700 4s 25C. I don't know what criteria to apply choosing a battery, so any help is appreciated. This is actually easier than I imagined, except for the battery choice. Having others blaze the trail helps a lot!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 09:08:19 AM »
Okay, having read all the above and the Strega and SV-11 reports, here is my shopping list for an E-Score:

Motor: TGY SK 42-50
ESC: Castle ICE 50
Timer: Hubin
Battery: In 3300-3700 mah range, 4s or 5s, 20C to 30c, TGY or Rhino
Charger: TGY Accucel-8
Prop: APC 13 inch pusher when available

So, do I get a smiley face for this parts choice? The real head scratcher is still the battery. Users report putting back in from 2000 to 3000 ma after a 6-minute stunt flight, so the "80% discharge" guideline indicates a battery around 3300 at least. I don't know the reasons why 4s or 5s rating, but the higher ones seem to deliver more current with less heat. Some good candidates are the TGY 3300 4s 20C, TGY 3300 5s 30C, Rhino 3700 5s 20C, Rhino 3700 4s 25C. I don't know what criteria to apply choosing a battery, so any help is appreciated. This is actually easier than I imagined, except for the battery choice. Having others blaze the trail helps a lot!

On the battery:

Your battery is your fuel tank, and to a "more or less" description, the energy contained in a battery pack is directly related to its weight. How you want to package that weight, either in 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, or 6s (or even higher) matters not a bit--except to your choice of motor kV. So if you need a 4s3300 pack to complete the pattern with a 900kV motor (for example), you will have exactly the same efficiency if you choose a 2s6600 pack and a 1800 kV motor, or a 8s1560 pack and a 450 kV motor. If you draw 40A with the 4s, you would draw 80A with the 2s and 20A with the 8s. Simply note the "1/2" and "2" multiplying factors. You obviously need to size the ESC to handle the various amp and voltage values. With the new ICE ESC's,  I would say the cost factor in ESC's at least is tilted towards the higher voltage packs.

Since an ESC can run at partial throttle, you can err on the higher side (a 5s instead of a 4s) and not lose very much in efficiency. However the ESC can't boost the voltage, so it perhaps is a little risky in trying to hit the target rpm to closely. But since the price of these packs have dropped so much compared to the old days, you aren't risking the family home too much by buying a battery that isn't tremendously oversized.

I would always argue to buy a single pack at first to see how it works out. If it is too small, then you know what to do next. If it is way bigger than necessary, then drop down a bit for the purchase of the 3 or 4 you want to have for the contest season. At $27 or so for a pack, you haven't risked much.

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »
Thanks Alan. I have read and tried to understand your many posts on this subject (I have no electrical engineering background or experience at all) and am starting to get a dim feeling for the relationship between volts, amps, watts etc.

I am now thinking the TGY 42-40 may be a better choice for a 65-70 oz plane than the 42-50. The 42-40 is rated 750kv/600W and a 45A ESC is recommended, while the 42-50 is rated at 650kv/1150W and calls for a 60A ESC. The Castle ICE 50 may be too low in capacity to handle the needs of the 42-50 (though I see that the Strega's new setup uses the 42-50 and the ICE 50). The Score is 677" with an Imitation airfoil (I know because I have both) while the Strega is around 750" and a thicker wing. The Score presumably needs less power to fly well compared with the E-Strega. Am I thinking right about motor selection?

Sorry for so many questions, but I figure this discussion will assist lots of other newbies out there (including, I notice, my neighbor PTG).

Alan Hahn

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »
Mike,
The "simple" thing to remember is that your plane needs a certain amount of power to fly. Power is measured in "watts", and watts are just the product of volts and amps. So if you need 300 watts input power to your motor, you can get that with 10 volts and 30Amps, or with 30Volts and 10 Amps, or any other combination.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
Mike,
I just did a check of those two motors on the Hobby City website and they both appear to be out of stock. When ordering from them you should always try to order in stock items as waits for back orders can be lengthy at times. This one is in stock TR 42-50A 700kv Brushless Outrunner / 720W
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=2099 and might make a decent substitution for a 5 or 6 s battery. Hopefully others that know these motors better than me will chime in.
William
AMA 98010

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 08:30:46 PM »
I have been running both the 42-50 and 42-40 in rc on a test plane I use for motor comparisons. I think the 42-50 is much more stout and a better match for our uses as long as you are not tied to a particular battery pack at the get go. Its got a lot more guts than the 42-40.

bob branch

Alan Hahn

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »
I have been running both the 42-50 and 42-40 in rc on a test plane I use for motor comparisons. I think the 42-50 is much more stout and a better match for our uses as long as you are not tied to a particular battery pack at the get go. Its got a lot more guts than the 42-40.

bob branch

Out of curiosity, how long are the magnets/stator in these motors? I think the dimensions for the Turnigys are the outside dimensions. For AXI and Scorpion, the numbers (AXI 2826 or Scorpion 3020) indicate the stator diameter and length (length also = permanent magnet lengths). The length is usually about the length of the iron can.

I am guessing the 42-50 has magnets that are about 26mm in length, and the 42-40 probably ~16mm in length. If that is true, then the 42-50 really would have much more power capability.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
Mike,
I would highly suggest the 42-50 for the Score.  The 42-40 will be too light on power.  The current rating that HC suggests is a bit higher than you will see in a stunt flight.  The average current for the Strega was around 17 amps with a max spike @ 45 which is really instantaneous.  Running 5-6S on this motor, you won't overload the ICE50.  I would suggest either the 5S 3300 or 6S 3000 and you will have more than enough battery for the Score.  The 79 oz Strega uses 2100 mAh over a complete pattern.  Note this takes only 5:15.  Refine your routine to no more than 10 laps after the clover and no full power running while walking to the handle and you will have nothing to worry about. 

I program my controller for slow start.  I push the start button for the timer and the motor starts and slowly spools up while I walk to the handle.  I get to the handle, and am ready to launch and the motor is just about at full power when I signal for launch.  This eliminates unnecessary power being used. 

Great choices on picking the power-system. I did see where they were out of stock on the motors though.  They replenish them quickly though.  That seems to be a popular size.  No more than a week or so I have seen them get new stock in.  Sign up for an email alert and you will get notified when they are back in stock and jump on them.  I need another one too.

Alan, the turnigy ratings are for outer dimensions.  The 42-50 has 26mm magnets.

Take Care,

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
We have a club member with a Score converted to electric - He bought a 42-40 for it (and smoked it on the test stand) so I lent him a '4250' (equivalent) motor that I have while I rewound his 4240.  Long story short, the 4250 was adequate (tho marginal) and in my opinion the 42-40 would NOT be satisfactory for a competition stunter.  My 4240 rewind was measured at 820 Kv, btw.  The 4250 that I lent him was measured at (I think) 790.  For him, as a sport flyer, the Score with the 4240 is OK.

So I would agree that the 4240 is going to be overworked and the 4250 will be <just> OK.  All of the above assumes 4 cells and a 12-6 prop.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
Okay, I promise not to go smaller than a 42-50-650! Actually I am thinking more along the lines of the Legacy at the moment; virtually same area as the Score but can be built lighter if starting from scratch as an electric. I also have a China Clipper (Makis design) at 700" that could work well as an electric. I am getting a feeling for issues like matching motor Kv to battery voltage to get the rpm range close, and enough mah rating to not deplete the pack more than 70% or so. I have ordered two ICE 50 ESCs so I can see what is really happening under the hood. Again, thanks to all of you for your wise and helpful words. I look forward to learning more about this subject by following this section.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 06:20:50 AM »
Mike,

On 4S, I agree with the 12 x 6 would be marginal, but the 13 x 6.5 would be better yet still a bit light.  Go to at least 5S and you will have no issues with power.  I plan to run my 42-50-650 on 6S on a 13 x 4.5 Pusher @ 10,000 rpm on a 700 sq in 58-62 oz design I drew up last month.  This set-up was great for the Strega.  5S would also yield the same result, but would need a bit more capacity.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 08:01:21 PM »
Mike,

On 4S, I agree with the 12 x 6 would be marginal, but the 13 x 6.5 would be better yet still a bit light.  Go to at least 5S and you will have no issues with power.  I plan to run my 42-50-650 on 6S on a 13 x 4.5 Pusher @ 10,000 rpm on a 700 sq in 58-62 oz design I drew up last month.  This set-up was great for the Strega.  5S would also yield the same result, but would need a bit more capacity.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana

I had a chance to fly the Score today, with the 4240-(800) installed with both a 13-4 and a 13-6.5 on 4s 3000's. Both flights shut down prematurely but the 13-6.5 is more than adequate power-wise, as you suggested.  I think the major problem with this combo is the Score is a bit over-weight out of the box - it flies "heavy" regardless of power package but for our 'newbie' it is still a pretty good plane.  I think that with larger batteries it can be made useable (though you are also correct about the 5s being a better approach).

Still an easy to put together package with Beginner/Intermediate stunt capabilities.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »
See my followup post under "Part 2." I reached the same conclusion about the Score and am building a Claus Maikis China Clipper instead. My wet-power Score flys very well with Enya 61CXS Pro and 13 x 5.2 Mejzlik 3-balde. Good design, but a little homely.

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 10:22:49 PM »
Archie you said that a 5s Battery would be a better choice, but would that still be a 14.8 Volts or would it be a 18.5 Volts and would the motor and ESC take it? ???
Larry

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 11:52:20 PM »
Correct in that a 5s is 18.5 volts.

For the most part, the motor and the ESC don't care what the voltage is - it's the current drawn which you have to keep within limits ... in the case of an RC model using several servo's off of the BEC, then you have to keep the input voltage within the specified limits because the onboard 'voltage conversion' is sensitive to the input voltage as well as the current draw.  In our C/L models however, we don't have any large current draws on the BEC and in fact, most of the ESC's we use here don't even have a BEC - we simply tap voltage to run the timer from the same spot that runs the ESC logic - so there is no real issue with using a higher voltage.  

A rather long-winded way to say, nope ... it's really not an issue.   n~
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 09:33:28 AM »
Larry,

The 42-50-650 will handle up to 6S no issues.  I planned on using 6S with it, but 5S would work with a bit more pitch as the rpm will be down.  4S on 650 Kv would be a bit low and it would take 7-8 pitch to get any power out of it. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here