News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESR / IR Meter MkII anyone use this?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESR / IR Meter MkII anyone use this?
« on: October 17, 2021, 08:19:24 AM »
On the RC Universe site I came across a thread on checking the "C" rating of lipo packs. The talked about using a  ESR / IR Meter MkII. Doing a quick search it comes up but they are about $150. I was wondering if anyone in CL land uses this meter and is it worth it?

The author on RCU indicated that by checking the actual "C" rating of the pack and keeping current draw and discharge rates within those limits the packs will not puff and last many times longer (a good thing considering current prices).

So is it worth it or is there a DYI version (or cheaper source) that is much cheaper but give the information we could use?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: ESR / IR Meter MkII anyone use this?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »
My 2 cents (or less) worth.  We run well below the C rating of our packs, and we use fairly low C rated packs.  We run in the 20 amp range (in the 8C range) average and brief 40+ amp peak.  A 2800 amp pack at 25C in theory can put out 2.8 x 25 mah or about  70 amps.  Many of our packs are 25C so easily capable.  Many RC applications use much larger capacity much higher C rating for their needs.  They have more reason to try to verify the high C ratings.  Packs might also puff if drawn too low, or as they get old and lose some C rating and or capacity.  You could probably see that coming with repeated tests with the meter, but if you watch temperature, % remaining after flight, and cycles on the pack you will have a pretty good idea without the meter.
Fred

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 05:52:39 PM »
What Fred said. I put a label on each of my batteries and for each cell # /capacity I give it a number, entry in to service data and start a tick mark for each time it is charged. I try to keep my batteries all together in the number of cycles they get. Doesn't work out but I try.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »
Some chargers, like my Icharger 310B, have the Ir tester built in.
It is handy for keeping an eye on how a pack is degrading, by looking for cells that have developed a higher Ir.
MAAC 8177

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 06:34:08 AM »
The old TP 820 CD charger has a IR function built in. That's why I keep both of mine even though they're now over 10 yrs old.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here