News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:45:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrics win at the NW Regionals  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electrics win at the NW Regionals
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
This is a first as far as I know. Electric powered planes won both Expert and Advanced at the NorthWest Regionals this past Memorial weekend.
I flew my newest Impact xs and Eric Rogers flew a StarGazer with electric power. Both used Plettenberg motors.

I believe the new Impact opened some eyes, as it handily beat the current world champ with the plane that he used to win that title!  Numerous top fliers have asked me to give them the specs so they can build their next plane as an electric! Phil Granderson also took a ride on the new plane, and is sure his next will be electric as well.

The tide is turning!

Side note:  I have a new (1 only right now) TP battery that weighs only 10.3 ounces. That brings the weight of that plane down to 58 ounces. I didn't use that battery at this contest, but have tested it. I have 3 more on order, and will be using them soon. It DOES fly better at nearly 4 ounces lighter!  (I can hear Sparky now!!!) It can also be charged in as little as 15 minutes, and is 1/2 the cost of my current batteries.  Wow, it's just getting better and better.

EXPERT PRECISION AEROBATICS (20)
1. Paul Walker, Kent, Wash., 581.67
2. David Fitzgerald, Napa, Calif., 570
3. Brett Buck, Sunnyvale, Calif., 565.67
4. Howard Rush, Bellevue, Wash., 564
5. Ted Fancher, Foster City, Calif., 558.33
6. Jim Aron, El Cerrito, Calif., 547.67
7. Bruce Perry, Edmonton, Alberta, 547.33
8. Phil Granderson, Oakland, Calif., 546
9. Norm Whittle, Layton, Utah, 536.67
10. Pat Johnston, Boise, Idaho, 520.67
11. Pete Peterson, Tacoma, Wash., 519.67
12. Bruce Hunt, Salem, Ore., 517
13. Mike Haverly, Auburn, Wash., 512
14. Alan Resinger, Delta, B.C., 510.33
15. Randy Powell, Port Orchard, Wash., 504
16. Dan Rutherford, Bothell, Wash., 503.67
17. John Leidle, Kirkland, Wash., 503
18. Jim Rhoades, 498.33
19. John Wright, 496
20. John Thompson, Eugene, Ore., 466.67
Judges: Don McClave, Randy Gifford, Mike Conner.

ADVANCED PRECISION AEROBATICS (10)
1. Eric Rogers, San Francisco, Calif., 487.5
2. Marshall Palmer, Tustin, Calif., 480
3. Burt Brokaw, 470
4. Richard Walbridge, Fresno, Calif., 466.5
5. Derek Moran, Goleta, Calif., 466
6. Keith Varley, Vancouver, B.C. 452.5
7. Dave McCheyne, Delta, B.C., 441
8. Mark Scarborough, 436.5
9. Lanny Shorts, Truckee, Calif., 436
10. James Goss, San Jose, Calif., 407.5
Judges: Pete Peterson, John Leidle

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Electrics win at the NW Regionals
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
Well played electric dudes! My new one is already on the board, and moving forward!
There was also another electric win at the Regionals, John Witt and his gorgeous Jenny was electric powered. while certainly not having the corner of the other electrics, it was a pure joy to watch it FLY around the circle in a most scale like manner,, its coming guys,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »
CONGRATS Paul & Eric!  That's RESULTS baby!

The new Impact now at 58 oz... just how much savings is that since E-Impact version 1?   

I think its impressive also that Eric's bird is a Star Gazer - comparisons to Fitz's set-up are inevitable.  I do not recall seing Eric post anywhere, is this his first set-up?

any other ECL's out there???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »

The new Impact now at 58 oz... just how much savings is that since E-Impact version 1?   

The first one was 69 ounces. The two that followed were 74 ounces, but they were take apart, and shaped somewhat different.

This one has a power system that is just as capable in thrust as the earlier versions. The performance of this new one at 58 ounces is amazing!

Paul

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
one pound? ONE POUND????  Uh, that should be noticable!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:50:31 PM »
Wow! Congrats Paul and Eric.   CLP** CLP** CLP**

Well done.  Yup, electric only gets better!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »
Can anyone post some pics of the contest, PLEEEEASE?

Thanks!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:16:30 PM »
http://flyinglines.org/nwregionals.10.html

I don't think it is particularly relevant that David was flying the airplane with which he won the World Championships.  I think that beating him would have been an equivalent accomplishment had he been flying any World Champion's airplane.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:07:47 PM »
Electric?  Yeah sure, let’s wait and see!

Six or seven years ago I was talking to Bob Hunt and he said that electric was going to take over the stunt world.  I was ready to file that comment in the “yeah sure, lets wait and see” bin when I recalled a similar conversation in the early 80’s with the same Mr. Hunt and he proclaimed tune pipes were going to dominate the world of control line tricks.  Well we know how that whole pipe thing turned out. They just never caught on in combat so it didn’t really matter much in my world!  

At he 2004 NATS I saw Mike Palko flying a little red airplane electric powered airplane. I remember thinking, “that’s a cute plane, and that guy can really fly!”  Watched Hunt at the ’07 Team Trials and thought, “hummm that converted tail-less wonder is going thru the wind pretty good”  Watched Paul fly everything from VF powered Impacts to bombers and finally a group of electrics in a variety of configurations.  

For the past five years I have been devouring information about electric on both RC and Control line forums.  Reading RC Mags and talking to electric pilots of both fixed wing and rotating wing RC models.  The pile of electric stuff in my building studio has reached critical mass.  I’ve bench burned a bunch of motors, controllers and batteries trying to get a solid understanding of how the various components really function as a system and how that system will actually produce good usable power for a competitive PA plane.  The Skinny Diva was conceived as a transition from IC to electric.  The Zealot was supposed to be a competitive, easily convertible to either IC of electric.

All that with the same “yeah sure, lets wait and see” approach.  Last weekend it changed to “yeah I see it now”.  Dave is the World Champion and a fierce competitor who doesn’t compromise in extracting the last bit of performance from himself and his airplane.  As we watched on of Paul’s practice flights I was thinking “this plane is different” and Dave turned and said “that’s gonna be hard to beat”.  Later he asked me how my electric was progressing and volunteered that his next plane would be electric.  I have been fortunate to fly both Paul and Eric’s airplanes.  In my mind there is no question that the advantage has shifted to electric and it’s only going to get better. Can’t wait to see Hunt’s 2 motor thingy.

My sincerest thanks to all the pioneers of competitive electric power for control line stunt here in the US and Canada; Mike Palko, Walt Bronell, Bob Hunt, Dennis Adamisin, Kim Doherty, Crist Rigotti, Will Hubin, Rudy Taube, Eric Rogers, Paul Walker and everyone who has published or helped with good information and on this and the other forums.
Yeah, I see it now!

The biggest thanks goes to the Eugene Prop Spinners, Mike Hazel, John Thompson, Scott Riese, Mike Dennlis and everyone who worked so hard to make the 39th Northwest Regional Control Championships such an incredible experience!  Everyone is still wondering how you stopped the rain???????

Once again,
The Game's afoot!

P.S. Bob Hunt, spelling, grammar and punctuation errors have been included for your editorial pleasure!
PT Granderson

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
http://flyinglines.org/nwregionals.10.html

I don't think it is particularly relevant that David was flying the airplane with which he won the World Championships.  I think that beating him would have been an equivalent accomplishment had he been flying any World Champion's airplane.

Only in the northern hemisphere!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »
Nice shot though Howard!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »

To be fair I should have added, "and didn't have an overrun and lose landing points."
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
"TP battery that weighs only 10.3 ounces"
Okay, Paul ...
Is this pack made of the receiver pack cells?

Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 11:23:44 AM »
Okay, Paul ...

Dean P.

Watch batteries.....

Awesome work Paul and everyone else flying E-stunt!

Mike

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
Okay, Paul ...

Dean P.

Nope...It's a standard Thunder Power battery that they sell to everyone. It's  a 5 cell 2600 pack. Nice compact unit!

Paul

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »
Paul ...
My, my, my!
It looks like you found yourself a weight/capacity/motor/cell count  sweet-spot!
Granted at 80% depth of charge use, we will be eager to hear the final verdict on cycle life ...

But my F3A buddies are liking the cycle life on this same 20C series cell. They are running 17C at full throttle and using just under 75% of capacity with great performance at 100 flights and noticeable degradation somewhere around 125. End of useful life at just under 175 and subsequent use in low-draw Sport stuff!

way cool!
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
Paul ...
My, my, my!
It looks like you found yourself a weight/capacity/motor/cell count  sweet-spot!
Granted at 80% depth of charge use, we will be eager to hear the final verdict on cycle life ...

But my F3A buddies are liking the cycle life on this same 20C series cell. They are running 17C at full throttle and using just under 75% of capacity with great performance at 100 flights and noticeable degradation somewhere around 125. End of useful life at just under 175 and subsequent use in low-draw Sport stuff!

way cool!
Dean P.

At $100 a pack, I would be satisfied with 100 flights per battery. That's not much different than glo fuel, is it?
However, until I get that new flying field ready, I'm not likely to be testing that upper limit any time soon. To date, I only have ~60 flights on the new plane. Not a bad result for such a short time on a new design!

Paul W

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here