News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mounting and alignment  (Read 981 times)

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
Mounting and alignment
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I see that most of you are using 1/8" plywood or thicker to mount your motor.  It is easier to align a standard engine because you build the bearers first.  How to you squire thing up when you glue the motor mount firewall inside the fuselage.

Do you attach the motor on first and put something on the prop to align?

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mounting and alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:23:58 PM »
I had the fuselage in a jig, so I used a square to get the mount perpendicular to the table and aligned with the 2 degrees of offset on the plans.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
mount the motor. spinner and prop - 1/16th shim under the spinner - glue and align - leave to dry.  All sorted from there
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:25:54 AM »
What thickness of plywood do most of you use.  I've seen what looks to be about 1/4" from the photos posted.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
5mm (so around 1/4") I laminate 2 lots of 1/8th together at 90 degrees with carbon in between.

lately I have been uding fibreglass board in lieu of ply - got that tip from Kim and it worls great - harder flatter surface to mount to and the motor wont dig into it under load.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:24:52 PM by Wynn Robins »
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:21:46 PM »
Heman,
      I construct my motor mount blanks by by making a balsa,1/32 ply and carbon fiber composite sandwich.First I cut a slice of endgrain balsa 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" that is 1/4" thick.2-2 1/2" X 2 1/2" squares of 1/32" ply.4- of the same size squares of .05 carbon mat.Last I have some unwoven carbon strands.The glue-up is pretty simple.Apply slow cure epoxy to 1 side of a piece of 1/32" ply.Lay one piece of carbon on it then take some carbon strand and make an X pattern with it diagonaly.Apply 1 more square of carbon.Make sure to get the carbon wetted with glue.Apply glue to both sides of the 1/4" end grain balsa and put it on the carbon/ply.Do the second piece of 1/32"ply just as the first and place it carbon side down down on the balsa 90 degrees from the grain of the first piece.You should now have a ply,carbon,balsa,carbon,ply sandwich.Make sure to use wax paper and clamping cawls(blocks) when you glue this up.Make sure to have everything ready to glue BEFORE you mix the glue so you can get it layed up as fast as you can and clamped before the glue starts to kick.You end up with a light VERY strong motor mount blank.The endgrain balsa and the crossed carbon strand make it crush resistant.Cut the blank to suit or make it bigger.You can use a thinner balsa core but in composites the thicker the core the better.The farther apart the carbon/ply skins the stronger it will be.When you go thinner it will start to lose its strength. 
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Advertise Here
Tags: motor mount 

Advertise Here