News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Next New APC Prop - a 12x6EP Replacement?  (Read 1890 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Next New APC Prop - a 12x6EP Replacement?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »
Over the past 3 years we have brought out 4 new electric pusher props
that fit around "gaps" in their product line.  I have established a
pretty good rapport with them, basically I take them a request, they ask
me to buy 200 props as a launch order, the ECL community buys them (at
least most of them) from me and all is in balance.  There is NO CHANCE
that I will get rich off this, but thankfully I have not gone broke
either.  That should keep on as long as we get props that people want.

By far the most popular ECL set-up is the 12x6EP with an AXI 2826/12 on 4 cells, turning 8200-8400 RPM (roughly 75% throttle) to deliver about 55mph.  However the new Thick Blade version of the 12x6EP requires more RPM to deliver the same air speed - European Champion Igor Berger reported he needed an additional 800 RPM.  This requires a little too high throttle position (governing suffers) or adding a cell to the pack - obsolescing all the 4S packs you might already have on-hand. No wonder people are starting to "horde" the old thin blade 12x6's.

The simplistic approach to dealing with this would be to go to APC and ask them to crank up the pitch - probably to a 12x7, to make up the RPM.  However, if we are going to get a new prop why not see if we can get a little "greedy" and get something a little better?

I have flown one of the new 13x5.5EP's that was clipped to 12" dia.  I also use a thin blade 13x4.5EP clipped to 12" that really pulls.  The resulting prop profile is a wider blade than the normal 12" prop, but probably falls short of what APC does for the big RC pattern wide blades.  The props I mentioned are also too "flat" for the 2826/12 with 4S, however the wide blade PULLS like a truck and definitely is a good idea. 

I want to see if there is sufficient interest for getting APC to design our next electric pusher prop that:

* Is a Pusher
* Is 12" in diameter
* Is designed with a wide blade shape - at least as wide as the clipped 13"
* Is pitched such that it turns 8300 RPM for 55mph. (likely around 6.5 or 7 pitch)

The above parameters should result in a prop that is a drop-in replacement for the thin blade 12x6EP within one or two clicks on your FM-9.  Battery usage should be comparable because we are asking the same diameter disc to generate the same airspeed.  I expect dynamic (maneuvering) performance should be enhanced by the wide blade design.

Users of the 12x6EP thin: do the above parameters fit your expectations?  Do you have any modifications or additions you would like to see?

Would you be interested in BUYING a prop that fit the above parameters if/when they become available?  The new prop should cost about $6.  This is just a reality check, its easier for me to commit to a 200 prop order if I have confidence that I can actually SELL them!

Need your feedback folks...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
Re: Next New APC Prop - a 12x6EP Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
APC does not make any 10" pushers...

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
If the theoretical new prop performs better with the 2826 series and 4-Cell batteries without overtaxing the system, count me in for a least a few. I use the 12-6EP thin blade (and have several in my stash) with the 2826-10 920KV motor on 3000 mah 4-cells. Do you reckon the higher pitch wider blade 12-incher would work well for those of us using the -10 variant?

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:50:20 AM »
Count me in, I prefer the 12 in size and would prefer not to have to modify props . Thanks , Noel.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:58:27 AM »
Hi Dennis,
I'm very interested. I have an SV-11 with an E-Flight 25. It weighs just over 68 ounces ready to fly, (is  very draggy as we all know )and uses a 4S 3900 TP pack with a Hubin FM-9 and Phoenix 45. The first 10-12 outings  were flown using the APC 13x 4.5 EP. The motor bit the dust( bearings, armature scuff) due to  oscillation and resulting heat.  The plane flew a 5.4 lap on .018 x 63' ( eyelet to eyelet) @ approx. 9,450 RPM. The replacement E-25 has been incremently ( read slowly) advanced along (  Governor Gain & PWM rate reduced).  However, I then had to increase the RPM to nearly 9,900 RPM to a achieve 5.8 lap which was too slow for this ship and me. Yesterday, I tried a 12x6 EP " old style" and was able to get 5.3 at just over 8,200 RPM, so I feel I'm getting closer to my target 5.4-5.5 lap time  with the all important side benefit of  reduced RPM and heat.

Okay, I think a 12x7EP would be about right- I could lower the RPM more , get a lap time to my liking, and  perhaps get more punch for the verticals and overheads.
 For me, it would need to have a hub no thicker than the "old style"12x6 EP because  there isn't much thread left on the shaft  for the nut with a GP E-  plastic Spinner.
Do you think a 13X 4.5 cut to 12 or 12 1/2 might work. I'm afraid that the new 13x 5.5 might be a bit much; even if cut.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 06:06:33 AM »
Dennis

On my carbon tube profile the prop of choice has turned out to be an original apc 12X6EP trimmed to 11 inches. This of course widens the blade. It flies superbly. The key thing that makes the /12 variant of the 2826 is its low kv performance. The current demand is lower that the /10 and heat issues are lower plus it has no problem turning a larger diameter prop without a heat issue. But you are right, we need to operate in the lower rpm band. You can go to 5S but now you are raising heating issues both in motor and battery that we just do not have with the current setup. It really does not mater what the designation of pitch is on the prop just so we can turn the same rpm range you have discussed. Rick Sawicki and I both flew larger electrics (Rick Legacy, me SV-11) in PAMPA at this weeks signal seekers meet. We flew 2826/12 systems on 4S 3700 mah rhino packs with the original 12X6EP. Winds were in the 18 to 22 mph range with gusts to 25 reported at the nearby airport. We both flew without issue with well governed flights. Windup was not a problem. In reality I should have cut my rpm back a few hundred rpm just cause I had more power than I could use. I did not plant my feet well on an hourglass and in the 3rd corner actually got pulled out of my stance.  Comment from a flier who flies an SV-11 with piped PA was he was amazed at the power I had. No mater how you cut it, a plane this size just does not need more power. What we need is to be able to have a prop that continues to let this excellent system work properly. Oh, all the original 12X6EP's have been long since "stashed". You will not find them anywhere. .. I've looked. 

bob branch

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
Hemen:
Are you using the APC 10X5?  If so I think your best option would be the 11x5.5 Pusher clipped to 10" and turning around 9800 RPM.  This is probably slower than what you are turning now and that might save you some battery drain - per your thread.

Mike:
The prop I describe should be a drop in replacement for the thin 12x6EP that works so well with the /12 motor (kv=760).  However since you are using the /10 motor you could be OK with either the new thick blade 12x6 or a 13x5.5 clipped to 12" and turning around 9300 RPM.

Frank:
Unfortunately we can expect all of the new APC's to have thicker hubs.

Frank & Bob:
I think the wider blade should be right in the wheelhouse for your SV's, along with Bob's T-Rex & Rick's Legacy.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »
Dennis

Well, on both the SV and the T-Rex I don't think I need any more line tension. I have moved the leadouts on both full foward to decrease line tension. From now on I will definately decrease rpm considerably in wind. I was not joking when I said I got pulled out ot my stance on the hourglass corner. I was very close to getting pulled over. With electrics we may be seeing a point where we no longer need to concentrate on getting more line tension. One of the things that finally let the SV start to fly well for me was when I got the leadouts forward and decreased some line tension because my wrist was not strong enough to get the full deflection I needed for a good corner.  With reverse rotation and essentially unlimited power both on these two planes and the previous Strega electric I had all the line tension I could handle and I am not a small guy. Don't get me wrong, I love good line tension. A 40 size plane no matter how well it flies for me just does not give me what I want. But we could get locked into more than we need. The cut off 12X6EP on the Carbon tube profile creates a wide profile and it is all the line tension I would want to handle and that is only a brodak P-40 wing.

bob branch

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
I have to agree with what Bob sez about line tension. I am a small guy, 145lb. soakin' wet, and I have way too much tension as well with my  E-powered SV-11. Flew fast combat and  .60 Carrier in the sixties- neither pulled anywhere like this beast.

Dennis, I would consider a trying a  cutdown 13 x 5.5 ep, but wonder if it'll give me any improvement over the 12x6ep. The other concern would be  the RPM required to get my 5.3-5.5 lap times with that prop.

Too bad about the thick(er) hub, Dennis. I can just imagine APCs product liability concerns...

Has anybody experienced /heard of tossed blades on electrics?

Back in the 60s,  East coast combat pilots loved  the  yellow Tornado small hubbed 8x8s on highly tuned Fox 36XBBs and Supertigre 35 combat engines . Scarinzi advised that we boil 'em( fine way to make a soup),  file groove the drive washer at both sides of the blade base area, and reverse the prop washer to keep them from tossing blades.

That worked, but of course, legal ramifications  back then  aren't what they are today

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »
Don't run me off, no tar and feathers please...

If this is a 3 blade and I can bolt it on a Saito 56/62 I'm in for a couple to try.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »
Don't run me off, no tar and feathers please...

If this is a 3 blade and I can bolt it on a Saito 56/62 I'm in for a couple to try.

I'm afraid we are off your target.  They are 2-blade, with the electric cross section.  While they will be thicker than they used to be they probably would be no match for the Saito.

You might want to check out XOAR (xoarintl.com).  They make nice beechwood IC pushers in 2 blade, and tractors in 3 blades; wouldn't hurt to see if they can make you an IC pusher 3 blade..?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
FWIW I have communicated with XOAR about the pusher props, since they are CAM machined, they are able to do them in reverse config. Only catch is a minimum of 10 as I recall. and there is an upcharge as well, but they are available for sure
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »
Matin Quartim pointed me to the JFX which I have ordered and received a sample of both the glow and electric versions of the 13-6. Sent HiModels an email and they are going to see about stocking a 13-7.

http://www.himodel.com/plane/JXF_13x6_inch_Beechwood_Propeller_Counter_Rotating.html

This the first prop I'm going to try on a reverse rotation Saito 62 I will be putting the first flights on this weekend. Just checking for other choices.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 08:12:48 PM »
I wondered when some enterprising four-stroke runner would try a pusher prop!
Way to go, Bob!
     Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
put me down for 6 of whatever you come up with  y1
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 05:13:34 AM »
I wondered when some enterprising four-stroke runner would try a pusher prop!
Way to go, Bob!
     Dean P.

Thanks Dean, Martin did the initial ground work of discovering the cam gear from a Saito twin will reverse the 62 but I do believe I'm the first one (at least in the states) that actually has it working. Couldn't let you electric guys get one up on my 4 strokes  ;D

Sorry about getting off topic, but maybe the link to the JFX props will redeem me, they do have some nice electric pushers..

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
The electric props will most likely not be structurally sufficient for wet-use.
I know that APC mark their product specifically to say that they are not intended for wet use.
take care,
   Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here