News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Micro Electric C/L Project  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Micro Electric C/L Project
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
When I go on deployment I want to bring with me some small airplanes so I am working on this Plantraco Shoestring #16
http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/ARF-Kits/MicroRacers-Kit-Shoestring-16

1s lipo 20c 100mah
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7567&Product_Name=ZIPPY_100mAh_20C_single_cell__

hexTronik 2 gram Brushless Outrunner 7700kv
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7230

TGY DP 3A 1S 1g Brushless Speed Controller
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7184

GWS EP Propeller (DD-3020 82x50mm)
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4278&Product_Name=GWS_EP_Propeller_(DD-3020_82x50mm)_

I ordered all the parts and am waiting for the shoestring kit.  I will need to buy some silver solder so I can do the connecters.  I plan on using the ztron timer.  should have an overall weight of around 22g with a 35-40g thrust.  not sure how long the lines will be.  I will post photos as soon as I start construction.  let me know your thoughts and ideas.     

my multimeter reads 3.9 volts on these cells.  I thought all lipo's were 3.7 volts per cell?  am I mistaken?

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
Re: Micro Electric C/L Project
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:08:35 PM »
A fully charged lipo is 4.2 volts per cell.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
Jeffrey,
You don't need silver solder for connectors---normal solder is just fine.

I assume your lipo's were shipped roughly at a 50% charged-up level. They really should be charged up before trying them out. Otherwise you can inadvertently overdischarge them.

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »
I thought you had to use silver solder on bare lipo leads.  I have to get a connecter for my FMA Cellpro 4s to charge 1s lipos. 

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »
Also, Jeff, better make sure the z-tron will work on one cell - this ESC has no
BEC.  (Under load, the cell will only be about 3.6 v.)

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
I thought you had to use silver solder on bare lipo leads.  I have to get a connecter for my FMA Cellpro 4s to charge 1s lipos. 

I am not sure what exactly you have. Are you soldering directly to the lipo tab's and not to wires? If the tabs are aluminum, I am not sure that silver soldering works. I am certainly not an expert on that. There may be some info in RCgroups in

http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/

Search for any threads on attaching balancer wires to the tabs. You need a special aluminum flux to solder to aluminum tabs.

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
isnt that what this is?

Low Voltage Setting: 2.8, 2.9 or 3.1v (Stop motor or reduce power 50%)

if not Ill just run it 30s at a time until i figure out the drain on the batt.

pretty sure silver solder will work.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »
One thing to consider is that silver solder requires a higher temperature so be careful soldering to the tiny stuff you're using.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »
isnt that what this is?

Low Voltage Setting: 2.8, 2.9 or 3.1v (Stop motor or reduce power 50%)

if not Ill just run it 30s at a time until i figure out the drain on the batt.

pretty sure silver solder will work.

I'm not sure what you are asking here - the Low Voltage Setting is the voltage at which the ESC will cut off the motor (or reduce it to half throttle) to avoid over-discharge of the cell.

If you are asking about  my comment on the z-tron, what I was saying was that the z-tron may need more than 3.6 volts to operate at all -- (or it may not, I don't know).  This speed controller cannot make 5 volts to run your timer circuit, because it only has a 3.6 volt supply.

Since my first post, I scrounged up the z-tron instruction sheet - it doesn't have a voltage spec. listed anywhere BUT I also scrounged up the JMP instructions and it specifically says that it will work with 2.5 to 5.5 volts -- my guess is that the z-tron uses a similar cpu and will most likely be fine on 3.6 volts.  It can't hurt to try it anyway - maybe Mike Palko would know if that spec. is available anywhere.

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
ztron timer runs fine so far. just tested it.  need to get some smaller connecters to bring the weight down.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »
There ya go - another non-issue put to bed   y1.   How did the soldering go?
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
silver solder worked fine.  Im going to solder the motor directly to the esc now that I know which way is foreward and just have connecters to the timer and battery.  at least thats the plan for now.

Ive been playing around with the timer and it seems that I wont get much more than 2min 30sec on a 100mah batt.  thats fine for testing but I might get some bigger capacity batteries for the future. want at least 4min maybe 250-300mah cells. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:48:22 PM by Jeffrey Olijar »

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »
What length lines are you thinking might work? 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 02:30:42 PM »
im thinking 10 to 15' or so.  Ill test when i get my shoestring kit.  trial and error.
I soldered the timer and motor wires directly to the esc.  it wasn't that hard except for my shaky hands.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:04:17 PM by Jeffrey Olijar »

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »
I finally finished the shoestring (I have been out of town the last week.)  15' lines were too long but 10' seemed about right.  the foam that they used for the kit is a little to brittle for my taste.  I am making a new one out of 1/16" balsa.  you can see my first test flight on youtube. 
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbOSyDmdjp8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbOSyDmdjp8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
the bellcrank got caught in the full up position.  I didnt video my other tests but the foam breaks too easily.  If you used a 1/32 plywood doubler that went 1/3 into the wing it might be fine.  also the "wheels" on the shoestring are fake so I was a bit dissapointed in that.  the bellcrank I made out of .20 plastic sheet.  pictures to follow later when i upload.

I am about 1/2 done with my balsa shoestring.  I used siff 1/16" balsa for everything except the rudder which is soft balsa.  I also used 1/32 basswood for the motormounts.  I weighed it at work today and it came in at 20 grams with everything except leadout guides, landing gear & control system.  I think that I am going to cut holes in the wing and cover it with monokote of some form to further reduce weight.  I would like the completed airplane to come in under 16-18 grams.  Pictures when I get my camera working again...

does anyone know if super thin steel wire would be lighter than spiderwire fishing line?  If so I might look into making a set of steel lines for it. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:35:41 PM by Jeffrey Olijar »

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
Even 0.008 is pretty fragile (for 1/2 a planes), so if you can get by with your spiderwire, I am guessing that is the way to go.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:37 PM »
For a 20 gram (plus l.g., controls -- so say 1 ounce) model, there should be no problems with ANY line material.  There is not going to be much line tension, no matter what.  It would be expensive but you could get the very small (I think it is about .006) 6 lb. test Spiderwire.  I can't even begin to guess at a reasonable pull test if one were trying to define it.

Mike A

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here