News:

• May 17, 2024, 09:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The FM-9 "Universal" flight manager system  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Will Hubin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
The FM-9 "Universal" flight manager system
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
     This system consists of a very small, light circuit board on the airplane and a remote, powered programmer to precisely set flight parameters for almost every ESC and every mode. The circuit board has a 6-pin connector to the programmer, three of which are used in the usual way to connect to the ESC after the programming is finished. The only other components on the board are the microcontroller and the start button (or remote leads to a start button).
     The programmer is housed in a white, plastic box, about 2 1/2 x 4 x 1 1/4". It allows the user to program flight times to the nearest second (from 1 minute to 9'59"), the delay times (after the confirming motor blip) of from 2 to 59 seconds, the ESC mode in use, and the desired RPM or throttle setting.
     The programmer embeds a calibration for the governed RPM modes of the Phoenix (High RPM & Set RPM), the Schulze F2B, the Jeti Spin, and two Hacker ESCs, so the user can directly choose the desired flight RPM. (Assuming the motor/battery/ESC are capable of it, the user should get an RPM within 50 or 100 of the chosen RPM, but the important thing is that it is highly precise and highly reproducible, so that indicated RPMs that work for different weather environments can be exactly returned to, as needed.) The user can increase or decrease the RPM based on changing the throttle setting by 1/2 of 1% (200 steps over the 0 to 100% throttle range).
     For ESCs without a governed/constant RPM mode, the programmer also lets the user choose a strictly throttle value (15% to 100%) and a compensated throttle mode (allowing the user to chose between 15 different levels of compensation for the normal decline in battery voltage during a flight).
    The programmer is $75 but the FM-9 circuit boards for the airplane are only $8 or $10 (extended leads)., making it an economical system for those with many e-powered planes, or for clubs.

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The FM-9 "Universal" flight manager system
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Will,
Send me the info on how to order what I need.

Paul Walker

SH e-mail will do!

Thanks

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
Me too. I'd pay that just to quit messing with dip switches.  #^

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
just to quit messing with dip switches

;D ... that is why I use Jeti Box ... I was too lazy to make own prog box

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
Very good indeed.  I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time before you invented this Will!  Great work.
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Here's a mini-review.  I managed to pick-up one of Wil's new FM-9 timer systems at Toledo, have not had a chance to fly it but it is very easy to walk through settlings on the ground.  The programming box has a large easy to read display.   Minimum flight time is now 1 minute so test flights just got even shorter.  Key up or down to set flght time, it is reasurring to set the flight time to the second - far closer and easier than what we could do with the pots.  Ditto the delay setting.

It will work with several different ESC's and programming modes.  It sets the RPM by percengtage of PWM.  The full range in Phx High Gov is 8,040 to 12,880.  Thus we are certainly safe.  I think the increments are small enough about 70 RPM) to  be useful.  The RPM setting scheme is similar for the Hacker, Hacker 1/2A, Jeti-Spin, & Schulze, but the increments (and presumably the range) are somewhat different for each brand.

It is clear that this new timer will be a god-spend you guys using Hi-gov mode.  You can throw away your optical tachs and dial in the RPM you want, and adjust it in precise increments.  You can also easily bump up or down in small discrete steps if conditions change and know exactly what you get.  In my mind this makes it light years easier to use Hi-gov than it was before.  In fact I would be willing to try Hi-gov because I would feel certain about the exact RPM I am setting.

For Castle's Set RPM mode, you can program in RPM 1,2,or 3 as before, and that calls-up whatever RPM you have in the ESC.

The only other difference is that it will be important to mount the timer where it is accessible to get to the two plugs needed to program the timer.  However, it is no longer necessary to mount the timer where you can access the pots.  In fact I would envision sliding the timer into a pocket,  slipping it out to program it then tucking it away again.  Of course you can still use a remote starting switch.

For simple ESC's like the Arrowind (Super Clown), E-Flite, or Turnigy, the new timer lets you call up the throttle setting in percents, then has 15 different "throttle-up" schedules to maintain flight speeds as the battery drains.  The max throttle is limited to 91% of PWM signal with the remainider held in reserve for throttle up. This should let us get all that is available from the simple ESC's.

There is also a simple non-compensating throttle mode that will let you access all 100% throttle, but will of course give up RPM as the battery wears down. 

It seems Mr. Hubin keeps coming up with very useful innovations.  The ability to incrementally change RPM settings (in High Gov mode) without a tach or a PC is a great leap forward.  The "no-doubt" settings for flight time and delay are also valuable. For those of us flying fleets of electric airplanes with different ESC's the FM-9 will be a great all-purpose timer.   
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »
Very nice Will.  Thank you.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
Looks great Will, thanks for all of your support and hard work.  I'm sure many of us electric control line enthusiests will be jumping on board.

Roger Anderson

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »
Will,

Great!! Glad you have the system ready to market. I know that you have put in a ton of work designing a universal programmer and timer combination.
It is absolutely amazing the functions that a little eight pin microcomputer chip can be made to carry out.

Thanks to you for all your personal help and for the contributions you have made and are making to electric control line community!!!

Well done!!

John
(now get busy with that RSM S-1 Ringmaster build).
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
I gots to get me one a' dem ....

Great job, Will.  Can't wait to get my hands on one.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
I managed to be the first person to buy the production ones - I have to wait until they get here tho - (in New Zealand) so someone will beat me to using them :(   cant wait to get them up and running - should make life a lot easier at the field.
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
I'll Let you know how it works, I should get mine Wensday, I think depends on the USPS. H^^  H^^  #^  #^  y1 y1
We GOT to thank Will for his innovation in ECL.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:00:12 AM »
Wow, Will
That looks great!
Is there a manual I can read or is the soft-menu its own documentation?
What is the setability resolution for the output pulse width? I figured 4 uS would do fine ...
Put me on the order list! I'll PM you later.

Bravo yet again,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
Dean,
    The program divides the interval from 1.00 to 2.00 ms into 200 steps, so the resolution is 5 microseconds for the governed RPM modes. (The calibration between pulse width and RPM that I measure on my test stand is rather non-linear, so I've taken my measurements for every 5% throttle increment [.05 ms] and used linear interpolations inbetween to obtain the displayed RPMs.) Accurate calibration can be tricky at the high RPM end because of limitations of the battery/ESC/motor combination--but at least what you get should be accurately reproducible.

In the "throttle" and the "compensated throttle" mode, I made it a little easier (programming-wise) by using increments of 1% (10 microsecond) steps.

The calibrations are different for each ESC and take up quite a bit of the memory (about 2400 assembly language lines altogether, now), so I had to switch to a 4K PIC -- but that leaves plenty of room for future additions.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »
Hi Will,
There is absolutely no question in my mind that 5 uS will be just dandy!
later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »
Will, how you calibrated rpm for motors of different poles count?

And how you did it for Jeti Spin - that ESC needs its own RPM setting - do you expect some constant rpm setting?

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 05:55:20 PM »
Igor,
    With the Phoenix High RPM mode, I've gotten basically the same calibration with different motors (Axi 2814/10 and Rimfire 35-36-1000), without considering pole count, and it seems to correspond with what users are getting. (My FM-2a, however, has two pots that allow throttle setting over the whole range.)
    With the two Hacker calibrations, I've used the motors and the ESCs that RSM is specifying.
    With the JetiSpin, I used a Spin 66A and basically the settings you reported using, except specifying a range from 8,000 to 11,000 RPM, with an Axi 2808/24 (motor poles = 14). (initial point of 1.0 ms, end point of 2.0 ms, linear throttle curve, heli constant-RPM 3D mode)

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:28 AM »
Hi Will

Is there any likelihood (or possibility) of the programmer needing updating at any stage down the track, (e.g. flash update) for future timers and improvements or perhaps to include more/different ESCs?

Regards
Warren

Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 07:24:25 AM »
Good question, Warren. Right now I've soldered in the 18-pin microcontroller, so it would be necessary to unsolder it and replace it. The chip is programmed and re-programmed electrically, though, so the swap would be easy if I used an 18-pin socket and just plugged in the microcontroller. If I knew that new ESCs were imminent, I would lean in that direction.

But we've had the ones currently supported for some time and I'm thinking that offering a low-cost update return service will work. At worst, it should be possible to provide a printed correspondence between RPM and throttle setting or displayed RPM to handle any ESC that uses the standard 1 to 2 ms throttle signals.

The microcontroller costs only about $2 each, in quantity; a socket would cost about $1.30. The real costs in the programmer are primarily from the circuit boards and the display; the total parts cost is about $50.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 07:33:30 AM »
Igor,
    With the Phoenix High RPM mode, I've gotten basically the same calibration with different motors (Axi 2814/10 and Rimfire 35-36-1000), without considering pole count, and it seems to correspond with what users are getting. (My FM-2a, however, has two pots that allow throttle setting over the whole range.)
    With the two Hacker calibrations, I've used the motors and the ESCs that RSM is specifying.
    With the JetiSpin, I used a Spin 66A and basically the settings you reported using, except specifying a range from 8,000 to 11,000 RPM, with an Axi 2808/24 (motor poles = 14). (initial point of 1.0 ms, end point of 2.0 ms, linear throttle curve, heli constant-RPM 3D mode)

Thanks, that it what thought.

Sa far as I know both motors (axi and rimfire) and also several others have the same pole count, so it means if someone uses 12 or 16 poles, it will need little recalculation - may be you can add parameter "poles count" to your programmer :-)

Jeti is not problem it has already poles count as a parameter, so if you set 8000 - 11000 then it works indepnedently on poles. On the other hand you can set RPM also directly to the ESC, so .... :-) ... but anyway your 200 resolution can go down to 20rpm with jeti so that is an advantage :-)

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 07:41:12 AM »
Good question, Warren. Right now I've soldered in the 18-pin microcontroller, so it would be necessary to unsolder it and replace it. The chip is programmed and re-programmed electrically, though, so the swap would be easy if I used an 18-pin socket and just plugged in the microcontroller. If I knew that new ESCs were imminent, I would lean in that direction.

But we've had the ones currently supported for some time and I'm thinking that offering a low-cost update return service will work. At worst, it should be possible to provide a printed correspondence between RPM and throttle setting or displayed RPM to handle any ESC that uses the standard 1 to 2 ms throttle signals.

The microcontroller costs only about $2 each, in quantity; a socket would cost about $1.30. The real costs in the programmer are primarily from the circuit boards and the display; the total parts cost is about $50.

You had to do it as Jeti does Jeti Box ... it is simple 2 line terminal with 4 buttons, so it is usefull for programming of ANY device which uses that protocoll (menue is always in the controlled device). All Jeti electronics, but also anything from other hands, like my C/Ltimer, FF timer for slope flight, 4-2-4 controller, regulator for vacuum pump which I use for making wings etc :-) ... it costs less then component which I can buy in shop  VD~

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
Where can I find general documentation for the Jeti box and its protocol?  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 02:20:45 AM »
They did NOT release description, but it is relatively simple (only parity makes it little complicated), master (programmed device) just repeats 32B string again and again and Jetibox answers with status byte telling "OK" or not plus 4 bits of pressed buttons, that is all.

If you connect it to logic analyzer, you will see it. I have only PC oscilloscope and it was enough.

Here is description of my timer made for our slope flyers and which I use also for C/L (simpified version)
http://www.kdesombol.sk/Madar/Igor/cl/itimer_en.pdf

... and do not smile please, it is translated from Slovak to English by google translator  >:D ... or OK, smile, because that is how we oftently see descriptions of imported devices sold on our market.  ;D

or here are shots from different devices:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12673.0

you can see menue from ESC when ESC is connected, or menue from my timer when the timer is connected ... whole menue is stored in the device, the box is only a terminal

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Thank you, Igor.  I would probably put the software into the programming box to save weight. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 05:05:56 AM »
That communication and menue takes ~2kB of memory in 12f683

but ... friend of mine, makes his own box with all functionality of Jetibox, plus allows to upload custom program ... http://www.kudrnac.cz/main.php?g2_itemId=1367 ... and it all for the price of jetibox :-)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 03:35:18 PM »
Thank you, Igor.  I would probably put the software into the programming box to save weight. 

In 787 digital avionics, we set all unused bits to zero for weight saving.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 05:42:56 PM »
I'm not very knowledgable about such esoterica, but is a zero a negative potential, indicated by the presence of an electron? In such case the (rest) mass of the electron would have more weight than a one which would be indicated by a hole. Which accounts for the 787 being overweight, over budget and late.  LL~

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 06:25:22 AM »
My old boss who spent several dog's ages at Sikorsky told me about this program manager who was pestering the engineers about the weight of some items on the system Bill Of Materials. The on-board firmware was on the BOM and of course, its weight was listed as zero. Being a real rocket scientist, this guy demanded a real number, and zero just wasn't a real number (at least not to his non-mathematical self) Now, this was a bunch of years ago, and someone in the group still had a pile punch cards, for nostalgic purposes, so the firmware writer slams the several pound pile of cards onto the PM's desk. The PM asks, "What does that weigh?" At this point the engineer announces that, "We only use the holes. See!"

take care,
   Dean P.

"The angels fly because they take themselves lightly." G.K. Chesterton

Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 06:48:49 AM »
Strange ... one databases filled with "0" on unused places fits to easily to one DVD, but similar, with random numbers needs 6 DVD to backup ... probably DVD does not use only holes  VD~

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
I just received my new FM-9 programer box and two FM-9 timer units with remote start.  I just don't see how things could get much easier.  Will Hubin really did a nice job.  We plan to give the new timer units a good work out as soon as we get some acceptable flying weather around these parts.  Thanks again Will for all of your excellent efforts and support.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger Anderson and them thare' other Anderson guys!

Offline olivier giraud

• New Pilot
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »
Does it work with turnigy plush esc?
How can I order one

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »
Buddy Wieder and I flew Buddy's new "Ryan's Eagle" model yesterday for the first time. We used the new FM-9 ( timer system and I just wanted to post a quick note to say how impressed I am with it. It's amazingly easy to understand and the prog box is extremely easy to use. We used the Phoenix high RPM (Governor mode) setting, and initially set the  flight times for one minute. This made it easy to get the right handle setting and insure that the model was flying correctly before going to longer flights.

Buddy's ship is essentially a Saturn with different fuselage aesthetics. It is a foam wing model with 660 square inches of wing area and with the Hyperion 4000 mAh 4S battery on board it weighs in at 63 ounces. That's equivalent to a 57 ounce glow model with an empty 6-ounce fuel tank. An AXI 2826-10 motor is used and it is front mounted. Buddy has it set up for 68 feet of .015 cables (center to center). The ESC is a Castle Creations Phoenix 45 in Governor mode. We used one of Denny's APC 13 x 4.5 pith props and set the speed with the prog box for 10,100 rpm. The ship flies at a 5.2 second lap with this set up.

Again, the FM-9 timer system made it all so very easy and it ran and timed things perfectly! I'd highly recommend this system!

Bob Hunt    
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:11:22 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
Bob and Buddy,
Set up sounds great, did you guys check the amps and battery draw down? On the 68' lines (is that C to C ?) at 5.2 laps how long is the total flight time?

How about some pictures.

Best,                DennisT

Offline Nicholas Lemak

• New Pilot
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »
Hi Will,
Your FM-9 sounds like just what we need. I have the Kaz system and really like it but it is no longer available. Your FM-9 seems to have similar characteristics.
I would like to order one programmer and two FM-9 Timers.
Please send ordering instructions to my E-Mail: NLEMAK@CThanks,
Nick Lemak

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 12:53:42 AM »
My old boss who spent several dog's ages at Sikorsky told me about this program manager who was pestering the engineers about the weight of some items on the system Bill Of Materials. The on-board firmware was on the BOM and of course, its weight was listed as zero. Being a real rocket scientist, this guy demanded a real number, and zero just wasn't a real number (at least not to his non-mathematical self)

Where I worked, it would have been the Finance guys asking about the weight.  If they don't know how much it weighs, they can't estimate the cost.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
Re: The FM-9 "Universal" flight manager system: firmware update + FM-9V
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »
Some of the early FM-9 timers showed an occasional distressing disinterest in being programmed, sometimes even after many days of working properly. (They still flew the airplane based on the last programming session, but they didn't respond to the programmer when the user pushed the "OK" button, after the opening display on the LCD, so the flight time and other parameters couldn't be updated.)

When the problem finally occurred here, I determined that the problem was that the timer could sometimes boot up too much faster than the programmer, and therefore think that it had been powered up by the flight battery rather than by the programmer. Serial numbers above about 736 were treated to extra delay time for the timer to recognize the programmer, and this solved the problem--at least in my kitchen!

The most likely explanation for this strange example of two computers (actually three computers) changing their behavior with time is that is related to temperature changes (the LCD has its own microcontroller to which the programmer has to talk). But to provide a really robust solution, I've added a capability for the user to directly force the timer to listen to the programmer. This is by holding down the start button on the timer before and during turning on the programmer.

I'll be replacing all FM-9 timers shipped so far with ones with this updated firmware (effective with serial numbers 794 and above), at no charge to the users. It will take a week or ten days to get enough circuit boards in stock and the timers built and sent out. I sincerely apologize to anyone who has been troubled by this problem.

In other news, there is a new version of the FM-9 timer (the FM-9V), one with a pot that allows the user to change the RPM by +/- 500 or +/- 1000 RPM (assuming the High RPM mode of the Phoenix), without using the programmer.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
Will
I like the idea of the Potentiometer,,
what is the lead time on a programing box, and a couple timers with the pot,,
thanks
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
Will
Can you please provide information for us who are very new to electric flight on how to order this timer.  It really does seem to be the right way to go.
Andy Borgogna
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 11:10:37 AM »
Andy,
   It's probably best if you contact me through my usual e-mail address  (whubin@kent.edu) so I can send you detailed information through .PDF attachments.

Will

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here