News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnet cowl holddowns - how close to ESC/timer?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Magnet cowl holddowns - how close to ESC/timer?
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:47:21 AM »
Guys,
I am finishing my electric conversion of my Stuka and am down to the details of holding on the cowl and top hatch. At first I was going to us 3/16" diameter magnets but got concerned that the layout would put them to close (within 1/2") of the ESC and Timer. Question, can the magnets interfer with the ESC or Timer operation? How far away should they be to prevent problems?

Best,           DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Magnet cowl holddowns - how close to ESC/timer?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »
My professional background includes circuit design.  A strong magnet next to a conductor will cause some effects even if everything is rigidly mounted (see the Hall effect), and will certainly induce voltages if things are vibrating relative to one another (that's how a motor works, kinda).  But the effects are going to be pretty darn slight.  It might be an issue if you were doing sensitive measurements with your electronics, but you're driving a motor, and that's one of the most electrically noisy things you can do with a circuit, short of driving an arc welder.  So you're almost certainly safe.

My professional background includes lots of different kinds of design.  Say "absolutely, that's a safe thing to do", and 99 times out of 100 you're going to be right.  But that one out of 100 wrong answer always bites deep.

So do a test: set up a timer, ESC and motor on a bench (I'd put the motor in a test stand with a prop to load it).  Get a humongous magnet, at least twice as big as the one you plan to use, turn the whole mess on, and wave the magnet around the ESC and timer -- see if anything misbehaves.  If it doesn't, then that 99 out of 100 goes down to maybe 999 out of 1000, or 9999 out of 10000.  At that point, you've reduced the possibility of failure due to the magnet/electronics interference below the probability that a line will break, or that a local duck hunter will mistake your plane for a bird and shoot it out of the sky.  At that point you can go flying with as much confidence as ever.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Magnet cowl holddowns - how close to ESC/timer?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
Dennis,

both of my EClL planes have magnet hold downs to for the cowls/hatches which are pretty close to the ESC and Timer - I have seen no ill effect.

My thunderjugs has 4 magnets all pretty close together by the ESC and no probs - you should be fine
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Advertise Here

Advertise Here