News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:58:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lubing sealed bearings.  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lubing sealed bearings.
« on: October 02, 2019, 02:49:25 PM »
I am replacing the bearings in one of my motors. The bearings will remain sealed and I need to know what oil to put in for long bearing life? I'd like to use turbo shaft oil but can't afford it.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lubing sealed bearings.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 06:55:02 AM »
I use the one John uses. Since its unavailable I think this one will be fine too https://www.acerracing.com/collections/lube-ball-bearing-cleaner/products/sin-lube-synthetic-bearing-oil 
AMA 98010

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:12:25 AM »
If anyone knows about maintaining small highs-speed bearings, it's RC helicopter crowd.  So from my days in RC heli (don't ask..), I have learned about a tool called The Greaser.  Here's the description from RC Heli Wiki: "The Greaser is a tool for re-greasing radial bearings.

It consists of a body for holding grease and two parts to force the grease between the two races of the bearing, forcing in new grease while pushing out old grease. The Greaser can also be used to push out the old grease using solvent, in order to thoroughly clean the bearing."

I bought it (about $40, if I recall), and it works like a charm.  I don't have to re-oil the bearings until the next rebuild, about a full season of flying.  And you can pick the grease of your choice. 

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
Good a place as any to ask just how long bearings should last and how you tell you need to change them?
I have about 200 flights on a Cobra 2820/12 and it shows no problems.  Is that low/high?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »
The motor bearing lubrication kit mentions lubing about every 10 flights!  I have read similar to what MM suggested about oil vs grease.  Some say that if you are going to oil, then keep oiling frequently as the grease will be moved further from where it needs to be.  You will depend on oil and not grease.

We are low rpm users vs the high rpm helicopters.

I've used a front mount electric motor for about 1000 flights on the same bearing and grease and am approaching that on another.  I changed bearings after the 1000 flights after an minor impact, not because they ran poorly.

You may have some difficulty getting oil into the inner/second small bearing, or you may flood it, or you can disassemble. I have the kit and tried it once before I did more reading.

Fred

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »
Allot of that stuff is just Mobil 1 or molly grease repackaged with various dye and allot of hype I'm sure. My take is, oil is liquid enough to get out when you're climbin' and divin' but grease will stick and stay with the bearing so. how often do you want to fool with it? If you buy Boca bearings they tell you max rpm with the grease they come with, usually some ridiculous number like 50,000 rpm or something.

To tell if they need changing take them out, clean them then spin and feel for glitch and noise. For all the trouble of disassembly and how infrequent you do it, just pop in a new set of pre lubed rubber sealed bearings. 

Motorman 8)
Maybe I will just buy 3 BasAss motors and throw them out when they start to ware.  I would still be ahead $$$. from 1 Cobra.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 04:33:27 AM »
Maybe I will just buy 3 BasAss motors and throw them out when they start to ware.  I would still be ahead $$$. from 1 Cobra.

Ken

Looking at the Innov8tive web site I don’t see where that’s valid. BadAss motors appear to be more expensive than their Cobra counterparts. I only compared the BadAss 2814-870 to the Cobra 2814/20. The Cobra is significantly less dinero.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 07:20:59 AM »
Looking at the Innov8tive web site I don’t see where that’s valid. BadAss motors appear to be more expensive than their Cobra counterparts. I only compared the BadAss 2814-870 to the Cobra 2814/20. The Cobra is significantly less dinero.
I don't know where on the web I saw them but they were like $11.00 or some absurd price.  Since I had no intention of buying them I just moved on.  If you checked them then I stand guilty as charged.  Point was a cheap motor is not worth the time and effort to replace bearings.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
I don't know where on the web I saw them but they were like $11.00 or some absurd price.  Since I had no intention of buying them I just moved on.  If you checked them then I stand guilty as charged.  Point was a cheap motor is not worth the time and effort to replace bearings.

Ken
Ken,  I think you might be mixing up the Badass motors with the Exeed Rocket motors which are around $11 at Hobbypartz
AMA 98010

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 03:01:59 PM »
     The only reason you should need to re-lube a bearing is if it is used in a dirty environment and it gets dirty inside the seals. If that happens, on a bearing that electric motors use, if they get dirt in them, the damage would already have been done by the time you notice it. All bearings with rubber seals come with the recommended lubricant, and it is also possible to over grease a bearing and cause performance and durability issues. Use the wrong grease and too much of it on an electric motor and you cause more drag and your amp load increases. I don't fly electric but have worked in the industrial maintenance field for 40 years and have dealt with bearings of all sizes, shapes and kinds, even bearings that you DO NOT grease! It all depends on the job it's doing and how much load it gets. I wouldn't disturb a bearing on an electric motor unless you have a distinct problem, and then I would replace it with the exact same kind.  The bearing loaders and cleaners described here are for the off road car guys in which case you want to clean and re-lube them as part of regular maintenance before they get dirt in them. If you really want to get into small bearings, talk to the R/C jet turbine guys and re-builders for the straight skinny. If it holds up on a turbine engine, it will hold up on a 'lectric motor!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here