News:

• April 24, 2024, 10:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Low Cost Open Source Control Line Timer  (Read 2558 times)

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Low Cost Open Source Control Line Timer
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
I've been working on this project for a while and I'm finally ready to share it with the control line community.  Don't get your hopes up, it's not a fancy, sensor laden, super fantastic CLPA timer.  (Although it's a good starting point.)  The target user is a new or returning control line flyer that wants to get started with electric power.  It should be sufficient for the average sport flyer as well.

The availability and cost of a good basic timer has sometimes been a challenge.  A while back I converted a Flite Test Mighty Mini to use as a control line trainer and was surprised to find the timer was the single most expensive item on the BOM.  When I researched the electronics hobbyist sites I was amazed at the variety of new and powerful micro-controller development boards and sensors available.  So, I bought a few and started experimenting.  I'm definitely not an senior embedded system engineer nor a crack programmer.  I'm just a techy OG with a desire to make a better mouse trap.  My code may be a bit of a brute force attempt, no fancy OOP here, the bottom line is, it works!

I call it the Touch_and_Go timer and I hope a lot of flyers try it out.  The program code is a free download and yours to modify as you see fit.  The hardware costs $8.95US and is distributed all over the world and is available from numerous local online vendors.  No expensive shipping and duties to worry about.  There is a bit of soldering of pins involved to complete the assembly.  The manufacturer of the board has made it super easy to program.  If you can copy and paste a file, you can program the board.  No other complicated software to download and install.  Simple code changes can be done using a text editor already on your computer.

I tried to include as many features as possible.  It's small and lightweight, field programmable (without any additional tools, boards, boxes or laptops) and usable with inexpensive ESC's.  While there is no direct RPM feedback, it does boost the RPM to compensate for decreasing battery voltage over the course of the flight.  One of the pins is set-up as a capacitive touch sensor which is used for operator input.  A multi-colour LED is used as output, indicating the status of the timer.

I put a lot of effort into making it as easy as possible for anyone to make their own.  Please make one of these 'do-it-yourself' timers and let me know how you make out and tell me what you think.  I set it up as a GitHub project, if you are familiar with that (not a requirement). 

All of the details can be found on my webpage: https://circuitflyer.com  At the bottom of the page is a link to a PDF file for the complete instructions (I've also attached it here).  The program code can be dowloaded from a button at the top of the webpage.

There you go, folks.  Take it from here and see where this open source project leads.  I hope it promotes at least a few new electric control line flyers.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:48:04 PM by CircuitFlyer »
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Low Cost Open Source Control Line Timer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
I reviewed Paul's code and his instruction manual for this; I think it's pretty solid work for a simple timer.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
  I would love to try one of these, just for the sake of making one because I like to tinker with this stuff. Can the program be modified to use a better ESC such as a Castle that I can set up in Governor mode or in set RPM mode? I think this would require doing away with the compensation setting and making it one setting across the whole flight time.(Would this be a complicated programming mod?)  Hopefully I explained this right as I know nothing about programming and I'm not an engineer, just a hobbyist that's not afraid to tinker and learn. I also have a few castle ESC's and would prefer to use what I already have and use it in Governor mode. I also have no interest in the "cheaper esc's" that are available. Like I've written many times before on here and in other places, used and NIP  Castle ESC's  can often be found on eBay and rc forums for a fraction of their original cost and many times for less than the cost of the so called "cheap ESC's".
AMA 98010

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks Tim.

I use a KR Timer for my fleet, so I don't have a Castle ESC to test it on.  If it can tolerate a three second delay of no PWM signal while the board boots up it should work.  Very easy to turn off the RPM compensation, just change the boost increment from .005 to 0.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 07:30:10 PM »
I've used a KR timer on a Castle ESC . I've also used the castle ESC extensively with Hubin timers and tried it with Fieoretti timers and even a z tron timer,so I know it works with all of those. 
AMA 98010

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »
The MO timer is out of stock at Adafruit, will the 5 volt timer work?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1501

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 08:02:42 AM »
No, only the M0 will work.  It has a lot more memory and is faster.  Checking online, both digikey.ca and mouser.ca have over 500 of the M0 Trinkets in stock.

Paul
Paul Emmerson

Dwayne

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »
No, only the M0 will work.  It has a lot more memory and is faster.  Checking online, both digikey.ca and mouser.ca have over 500 of the M0 Trinkets in stock.

Paul

Thank you

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 09:25:13 AM »
Wiliam all ESC will work with the RC stile signal. The incompatibility part is in the way they are armed. Some want full throttle then idle to arm others like any throttle set then idle for some time to arm etc. If you know what you have and how it arms then check the "sketch" and adjust a little.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Dwayne

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »
Got my timer today, first impression is wow this thing is small...lol The soldering is easy but not being the brightest light bulb at times I had to read through the instructions more than once, twice, several times to understand  how to install software but I eventually got it...lol, I'm now working on the programming, it's pretty straight forward so far and I have to say when the led's went the colour they were supposed to I was quite pleased with myself,   #^ Can't wait till the snows gone to try this thing out .  y1

Oh one other thing, I'm using a Phoenix 45 esc, since the timer comes with a rpm program I programed the esc with all the same settings as with a Hubin timer from Norm's excellent cook book  but  no rpm's .
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:14:54 PM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Glad to hear things went well.  I've heard back from a few people that have assembled and flown the timer.  All are quite happy with it and haven't had any issues. 

It is tiny.  With my old eyes I have to make sure I don't burn my nose with the soldering iron.

Paul
Paul Emmerson

Dwayne

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
Glad to hear things went well.  I've heard back from a few people that have assembled and flown the timer.  All are quite happy with it and haven't had any issues. 

It is tiny.  With my old eyes I have to make sure I don't burn my nose with the soldering iron.

Paul

Wait a minute, Mississauga? Have we met? I fly in Toronto every year and won the Balsa Beaver Cup last year. 

Offline Paul Bray

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
Got one a few weeks ago, less than 10 beer tokens delivered, 10 minutes to solder, 10 minutes to learn how to operate it.

First flights yesterday, worked perfectly. Set 30 seconds pause (reduced to 20) with 1 minute run time to do some trimming flights. Three flights, zero problems, does exactly what it says on the can cheap and easy.

Paul

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »
Dwayne,

Haha, my secret cyber identity.  Ya, I beat you in old time with my rectric ringmaster, remember?

Paul
Paul Emmerson

Dwayne

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 05:53:33 PM »
Dwayne,

Haha, my secret cyber identity.  Ya, I beat you in old time with my rectric ringmaster, remember?

Paul

Yeah I remember, hey Paul...lol

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 08:35:06 PM »
Hi Paul,

I have been flying ic control line planes since 1960 and now I am going to electric flight. I have an E-flight 25 and two 1.8 Turnigy 1800 mah 3 cell 11.1v Li-po Batteries. I intend to build a plane that was for a .25 engine. Now I need a timer to start and stop the motor. Where/how do I get your timer?

Thanks for your help,

Roger
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:01:35 PM by RogerGreene »
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
Hi Paul,

I have been flying ic control line planes since 1960 and now I am going to electric flight. I have an E-flight 25 and two 1.8 Turnigy 1800 mah 3 cell 11.1v Li-po Batteries. I intend to build a plane that was for a .25 engine. Now I need a timer to start and stop the motor. Where/how do I get your timer?

Thanks for your help,

Roger

Please please please start a new thread with this question, in this section.  I really want to help you out, but I really don't want to participate in a thread hijacking.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
I also have an E-flight 60-Amp Pro SB brushless ESC (V2) with Switch-Mode BEC & Advanced Programming.

I was typing this while you were.

Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »
I think CircuitFlyer's idea for this timer is that you do it yourself from readily available parts.

If you want to just buy a timer that'll work well for you at this stage of your development in electric, I'd suggest either a KR timer from Brodak, or a Hubin timer, for which I think you need to apply to Will Hubin -- but you can search the member list for "Hubin" and send him a PM (or someone here knows where you can get Hubin timers and will correct me).
AMA 64232

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »
My apologies to Roger and anyone else that reads through the original post and does not readily understand how to aquire one of these timers.  I may have skipped over the basic principles.

In the old days if you wanted an electronic circuit to perform a specific task you designed a board with numerous components soldered onto it and hoped for the best.  Skip forward a bit and along comes digital logic integrated circuits, a whole wack of transistors housed in a tiny package, that can be wired up to a!so perform the desired task.  Then some really smart folks figured out how to make a programmable microcontroller to do a variety of tasks without having to change any of the components on the board.  Just change the "code" and write it to memory to change the task.

Adafruit makes the circuit board with the microcontroller on it.  The board is made with connection points around the edge to solder pins or wires that connect directly to the input/output points of the microcontroller.  They also added a USB socket so you can connect it to your computer.  It comes ready to run with a very simple program installed.  The programming language Adafruit has used is called Circuitpython, but you don't need to know anything about that if you don't want to.  To "make" my timer you download my program from the internet and upload it to the board.  It really is easier than you think it is.  Adafruit has done all the hard work for us.

Tim makes his living applying microcontrollers to various industrial tasks and is our resident expert on coding.

Paul
Paul Emmerson

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 02:57:04 PM »
Hi Paul,

I went to Adafruit.com and I have no idea what to ask for. I want to make your timer but I need more information. Does the circuit board have a part number or something to identify the exact one to make the timer?

Thanks,

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »
Hi Paul,

Looking through the instructions I did find all the info needed to get the Adafruit Trinket M0 number 3500 - for use with CircuitPython & Arduino and the breadboard. However, I can't find the pins that are soldered to the circuit board. Where can I get them?

Back in the 60s, I made a few transistor radios. WOW, this site is almost like a large playground.

Thanks,
Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »
Roger:

The photo for the Teensy 3500 certainly implies that you get a strip of header pins with it -- Paul can confirm that, though.

The Adafruit name for these is "0.1 inch male headers".  If the 3500 doesn't come with that strip that they show, then you want these, from Adafruit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/400.

Paul:

Any time I find someone confused by my directions, I edit them and post an updated version.  And yes, that's a hint.
AMA 64232

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
Thanks, Tim,

I just purchased the circuit board 3500, breadboard, and by your help the break-away male headers. All from Adafruit.

Now I have to build the airplane.

Thanks again for your help.

Roger

Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
I ordered my board today and inspected the code.  I usually do my microcontroller work using Atmel Studio  and WinAVR in C ... but the Python stuff looks easy enough to learn if I decide I want to re-program it.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 01:10:20 PM »
Awesome stuff Paul. Thank you! I'll have to learn circuitpython also. I do different FC programming in betaflight, Emuflight.... the taboo flight disciplines....
I just ordered 2 trinket M0's from microcenter. In stock

https://www.microcenter.com/product/503915/trinket-m0---for-use-with-circuitpython--amp;-arduino-ide

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
Paul,

Does Adafruite industries have a board that will work as an ESC?

Thanks,
Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 08:47:47 PM »
Paul,

Does Adafruite industries have a board that will work as an ESC?

Thanks,
Roger

Probably not.  A timer just needs an itty bitty computer board with some programming; an ESC requires some power electronics.  Basically, if you're building an ESC you may as well build it to sell.

There are some ESCs out there with open-source software, if you really want to get ambitious you could try modifying that.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here

Advertise Here