News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looks more impressive than what it is.  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Looks more impressive than what it is.
« on: February 19, 2022, 04:43:05 PM »
Mounted the Badass 3520-790 today. Didn't take long actually, but the normal remove and replace was necessary.

I have my offset and you would never know it, Prop shaft is dead center of the cowling. Well, give or take a 1/16" and I won't fuss with the cowling. The important stuff is done.

Prop nut is 12" off the deck. 13 x 6 prop. I'll be shopping for other on board equipment soon.

I'll place these photos in the TEXACO 13 build when I have the time.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Looks more impressive than what it is.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »
Mounted the Badass 3520-790 today.
It looks so lonesome in that huge cowl.  I am used to trying to figure out how to make all that cr**  stuff fit.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 09:20:59 AM »
Airflow and cooling shouldn't be a problem with this one.

Steve

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 09:43:02 AM »
Airflow and cooling shouldn't be a problem with this one.

Steve

I think a bird strike would go right through it.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 09:48:21 AM »
It looks so lonesome in that huge cowl.  I am used to trying to figure out how to make all that cr**  stuff fit.

Ken

I think you were correct when you suggested slipping the battery in behind the fire wall.

Good advice, AND I don't believe I'll have to cut the cowling. I already trimmed 4" of the back and cut/removed the front opening.

Charles

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 12:33:20 PM »
Dose anybody make a dummy radial engine?  Would look cool with the Badass motor in the middle.   D>K

Might be a good 3D printer project.  Model one jug and print 5 or 9 depending what belongs.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
Dose anybody make a dummy radial engine?  Would look cool with the Badass motor in the middle.   D>K

Might be a good 3D printer project.  Model one jug and print 5 or 9 depending what belongs.

John,

Thanks for the reply. How's those ribs coming along on your Ares?

Yes, on line I see printing software available but I have no equipment.

All the real nice ones are over the pond.

I have to choose wisely because of the weight. I also plan on having the radial fixed to the cowling.

Thanks again for the reply.

Hey!!!  Ares, Ares, Ares. Keep going.

Charles

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 09:12:43 PM »

Dose anybody make a dummy radial engine?  Would look cool with the Badass motor in the middle.

Try these guys. parkflyerplastics.com I believe they are vacuformed shells. The one shown is 5-7/8"dia.

Ara

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 09:48:26 PM »
Try these guys. parkflyerplastics.com I believe they are vacuformed shells. The one shown is 5-7/8"dia.

Ara

Ara,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I know of that gentleman in Florida. He's done specialty work for me before.

I was hoping for a 9 cylinder radial.

Thanks for reminding me of him. I'll put him on my list.

Thanks again.

Charles

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 10:17:24 PM »

I was hoping for a 9 cylinder radial.

Charles,

Check his website, he has a 9 cylinder.

Ara

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 10:37:01 PM »
     Charles,

Check his website, he has a 9 cylinder.

Ara

Ara,

That guy offers a million products.

I'd like to stay away from vacuum forming only as a last resort.

Thanks for coming back with this, it's appreciated.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 04:21:39 PM »
I may have found what I'm looking for in a dummy radial?

"Detailing a Dummy Radial."  Many photos on line.  Overwhelmed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here