News:

• May 20, 2024, 11:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for comments on this ....  (Read 803 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Looking for comments on this ....
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »
here is what I am planning on using in my new model - I am going to have the battery access from a side hatch on the inboard side - battery slides in really easy and is held in place by the aluminium angles, plus front and rear stops...as an added precaution, there will be velcro on the outboard fuse doubler, and the "base" of the battery where it meets that side.

I figure that the centrifugal force will keep the battery hard against the outboard side, so it shouldn't go anywhere.......

there is not a lot of space to play with in the nose of the plane I am building - but it will have HEAPS of cooling air, so figure I might be OK .

motor is front mounted on custom made composite ply (basically 4 layers of 1/16th 5 ply, at 90 degree angles with fibreglass in the between)  ....sides are 1/16th ply and will obviously be the nose doublers....

the component weighs 60grams without the motor etc - and I will be taking a little more off that when it is final sanded....

so - any comments,or areas I need to fix????  any help is appreciated,
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Looking for comments on this ....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »
Obviously GREAT MINDS think alike!  010!

Seriously, I am rebuilding the Vector and decided to also convert it to a side hatch - for pretty much the same reasons as you said.  My motor mount idea is different than yours - also converting it to a "nose cone" style cowl.  I'm on the road now but I'll try to post pix this weekend when I get home.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
Wynn

I can't tell because we obviously cannot see the 3 dimensional path the motor has for removal. But be sure you can get it out. The forward battery stop looks like it might impede your being able to remove the motor if the shaft is too long or you get a limited removal angle. Other than that it looks workable. Also evaluate that you will have enough stiffness in the top and bottom blocks (sheeting or whatever) to keep the nose from twisting off. With the hatch in the side the top and bottom blocks will have that role. If you put a removable cowl bottom block going back beyond the motor mount you may loose the stability you would like to have.

bob branch

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:59:37 PM »
thanks Bob

The motor is inserted through the bottom - and the shaft goes through the hole in the front first - it slides in niceley - I did a fair bit of thinking about it before I actually built it....

the twist you mention - I DIDNT think about - however, the fuse has balsa doublers and carbon mat in between so I am hoping that will be strong enough - the whole bottom will be vented  - but only the front portion under the motor will be a removable hatch to get the motor in and out - so I am sure it will be strong enough - if not, I will glass the whole section.......

Dennis, I must  be on the right wave length if you are onto the same thing HA

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »
Good thinking, Wynn!
I contemplated something like this but with the upper and lower plates extended to grab the wing spar. I have yet to build it though!
take care,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Ron Dodd

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:57:45 AM »
Wynn:
 I think you will find that only one piece of velcro on the side is more than adequate for your purposes...I have been using this method for battey hold down for over 12 years now, and have never had a battery come loose...you also should use just a small piece of wood as a "stop" just to position the battery...not metal...as you will find that in a "sudden arrival" the wood stopper is less likely to seriously damage the battery.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »
the aluminium is a lot softer than you might think - it will bend if a extreme load is applied - but I am past point of planting them (I think)

Offline Ron Dodd

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »
I am sure you ARE past the point of planting models..but just a safety thingy on my part...( can't help it)
I've seen what happens when a lithium gets punctured and or shorted by a piece of metal.....it ain't pretty.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here