News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LIPO cell checker - what device?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
LIPO cell checker - what device?
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:01:12 AM »
Guys,
I'm looking for a reliable LIPO cell checker that would be able detect if a cell is weak or dead. I have a watt meter but this checks the total voltage not the individual cells. What is a good device to purchase?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: LIPO cell checker - what device?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 10:32:16 AM »
Guys,
I'm looking for a reliable LIPO cell checker that would be able detect if a cell is weak or dead. I have a watt meter but this checks the total voltage not the individual cells. What is a good device to purchase?

Best,    DennisT
Hi DennisT,

I bought this battery checker on eBay a year ago. It works pretty good, will check individual cell voltage and was inexpensive. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Battery-Capacity-Checker-RC-7-Cellmeter-For-LiPo-LiFe-Li-ion-Nicd-NiMH/353265760304?hash=item524047b830:g:0z8AAOSwgEJfpQIU

Dennis

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »
Yep Dennis;
That's the one I imported when I owned RSM Distribution. It works quite well. Because they were inexpensive I used to keep one in the shop and one in my flight box. At the field having it and using it to check every battery before I plugged it into the ESC saved me a couple of times from plugging a used battery into the model (yes, I know we are supposed to mark the three batteries we take to the field 1-2 & 3 so we don't mix them up. Some of us are just too smart, too old or simply too stupid to take our own advice).

Offline Steve Tomlinson

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »
There is a small one that I use for my RC Lipos from HOBBY KING    it costs about $4 and all the guys at the field use this model
STEVE Tomlinson

Online jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 02:11:21 PM »
I bought several over the summer, some a bit pricy, with little success with consistency.  Last one I bought seems to be the best.  Better than the one I bought for about $40.  Cell Meter 8.  Similar, if not the same as the one Dennis showed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MDHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jim Vigani

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 02:44:20 PM »
Similar to the others posted and $4.49.  I have a couple and friends also have them.  They work fine.  None of these inexpensive meters are overly accurate for each cell, but certainly can spot a significant difference.  % charge is useful as noted.

http://www.valuehobby.com/battery-capacity-checker-3820.html
Fred

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 09:18:08 AM »
Hi DennisT,

I bought this battery checker on eBay a year ago. It works pretty good, will check individual cell voltage and was inexpensive.
I used the same one.  It always agreed with my charger so I suspect it was accurate (of both were crap - possible).  For some reason the last cell always registered lower.  I never investigated why but the same reading was there when I put it on the charger.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here