Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

LETS TALK ELECTRIC

(1/4) > >>

Kerry Ewart:
I have seen a lot of comments about the costs ect,But all that aside for a minute and talk shop.Costs are going to be higher initally i know.

If i was going to set up an electric say 630+ sqin and 55-60 oz bracket ,Is there a good base setup to start with and is there stuff to stay clear of.
I have seen this motor advertised "Brushless Outrunner XM3520-7" the claim  out put  to power  a 40 to a light 60 size plane???.
Everyone will have  different ideas so lets here them.

frank carlisle:
i wish i could give you a responsible answer. I [put together an electric ARF Smoothie but have no other experience with electrics. Guys will post but if you aren't an electric genious it'll whiz right overhead. I have a dvd of the GSCB electric seminar. it features bob hunt extoling the virtues of electrics. Mike Palko does pretty much the same and Dean Pappas says stuff and draws charts, all of which I found very confusing.
If you want it- you can have it.

Kerry Ewart:
Thanks frank i would not mind a copy.But i am in aussi.

Dennis Moritz:
There are formulas that Mike Palko uses for calculating motor/battery/speed controller set up based on weight of the model. He's referred to these formulas and laid them out on one of the forums. I didn't follow the math either, even tho the math doesn't appear that complicated. Tuning is usually necessary, as I've observed. The speed controlled needs to be matched with the motor, there are software issues. Final adjustment with prop and speed controller is also necessary. Perhaps Mike will look in here. Although a lot of different combos work, different components need to be matched up and coordinated. Not a straight ahead buy this and that situation. Also the technology seems to be evolving quickly. A further complication. Mike, for instance, had a P40 Arf he wired up before Brodak, an Arf he didn't have time to test out before the contest. There turned out to be an incompatibility in the electronics. Couldn't get the motor to run longer than four and a half minutes.

Ron King:
Kerry,

Most of those advertising claims are based on RC performance of course.

The specs you set out are basically the same size as Bob Hunt's Genesis Extreme (620 squares, 56 ounces RTF). Bob powers his ships with an AXI 2826/10, which is the same motor Frank Carlisle used in his Smoothie and is the same motor I use in my electric ships. This motor puts out the same power as a strong 40 glow engine and it works great in planes like my profile Cardinal and Roadrunner. You can Google this motor and get the specs to compare with stuff available down under. We are all running Castle 45 AMP controllers and 3700 - 4200 mah batteries.

BUT - it looks like I may have finally reached the edge of the envelope for that motor with my latest project. I'm not happy to spend six months building something and discover it's not working properly, but that's what I've done and that's where I am right now.  ''  Like they say, "Life happens." or better yet, "Life is what happens while we are busy making other plans."  ~^

I've attached a picture of the latest. It's pretty (650 square inches and 61 ounces) and is currently hanging on my workshop wall. I think I'll find a decent enough motor and battery combo for it eventually.

Take care,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version