News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tale of Two Batteries  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tale of Two Batteries
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »
Ive got one 4 cell that does everything ok in the air but it's taking more to charge it up also, it's a tiny bit swollen. I've got another 4 cell that hits the low voltage cut off but is not swollen it has a cell going bad. Which one is worse? Been using both for 1/2 flights in my beater plane but am I risking a burn down? How do you know when to decommission a battery? What criteria would you consider it unusable form a safety point of view?

MM

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tale of Two Batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »
How do you determine that a cell is going bad?
I would run both of them on a cycle program, at the same rate of discharge to the same voltage cut off.
But if they are the same brand and capacity, I would guess that the one reaching the LVC is the worse of the the two.
I assume that you are balance charging each time and also putting the batteries at the proper storage voltage between flights? Both are important
Heat, and deep discharge are the two biggest killers of rechargeable batteries, I think. 
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »
Well, the charger tells you the voltage of each cell or you can use a multi meter on the balance plug. Yes, I am balance and storage charging at 1C and they are the same brand/size.

What is this cycle program?

MM

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
If your charger can do it, and most can, you could charge both packs, then discharge each right after on the same rate, to the same cut off voltage. That would probably confirm your suspicions of which pack is in worse shape(probably the one that cuts out in flight)
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here