News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Left handed spinners?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Left handed spinners?
« on: June 08, 2018, 05:27:44 AM »
Has anyone ran across any spinners that have the slots cut for reverse rotation props?
I never gave it a thought before. I needed a little nose weight on my Twister so I ordered one of the electric spinners from Tower. I went to install it last night and found the obvious problem. I know I also have a nice new spinner in the box for my electric SV-11 I’m finishing up this weekend that is for the more normal props.
Is everyone just cutting clearance as needed and living with the gaping holes?

Thanks, Matt

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Re: Left handed spinners?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:17:03 AM »
Matt : Tru-Turn has custom cut them for us. Pick size and design. Speak with Bob Sr. is a good idea.

Some of us also buy the uncut spinners from Brodak and cut our own slots for pusher props. Careful work, but it can be done with accuracy.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:50:15 AM »
What Frank said, plus Tom Morris carries lefty spinners from Maxx Products.  If you talk to Tru Turn make sure they understand that the spinner is going on the FRONT of the airplane.  If you simply tell them to cut a spinner to fit a pusher prop they will assume that prop is in back and will cut the spinner that way.

I use a lot of Great Planes electric spinners (alum backplate, plastic shell) because they run true, are light and inexpensive  They are a good choice if you need to add "nose lightener".  Of course, cannot get a close fit to prop.  I've found a symmetrical mostly squarish opening is the least offensive to look at.  I have them on most everything other than the PAMPA birds...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »
Tom's Building Service has them.  One came on the last airplane I bought from him.  Email him at ctmorris@cableone.net  and tell him what size you need.  Mine has the prop adapter built in.  All aluminum, runs true and looks good.    y1 
 PS Tom Morris is truly one of the good guys in our sport.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
I couldn't get a compatible set of parts from Tru-Turn, so I gave up on them. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
Howard :  You are right about going with Tru-Turn. But we persisted ,   first discovering  that Tru-Turn adapters for electric applications don't work for front mounted motors. So, we just had them cut spinner cones for pusher or tractor(with or without the cooling slots)  and  as far as backplates, lightened or solid.
 Another problem :Tru-Turn's standard  cooling spinners for electric have backplates that are purposed for  tractor, not pusher. They'll cut them for pusher for  extra cost .We also sent them  a variety of  electric 2 blade APC s to proper size cuts.
 During this process, we  discovered that  the Great Planes electric adapter is a dandy . On one side, its threaded to accept  a 3mm (or was that 4mm ) screw to the cone tip piece and on the other, it's threaded 1/4-28 which works with the stock E-Flight collett that comes  with the Power 15, 25 ,32 and some other brands.
Communicating this to Tru-Turn required a lot of patience at both ends. Owner Bob O. was most accommodating, considering that ROMCO manufacturing distributes Tru-Turn products as a sideline to the  real work that brings in the dough.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 02:54:25 AM »
Brodak do some fancy alloy I C spinners . Can Supply UNCUT .

To cut I meaure center of blade front at about 1/4 less than spinner dia. ( to allow for taper ) from backplate ( parrallel to Shaft ) .

Centerpunh at 180 degrees ( masking tape will help penlines & prevent scratches .)

Drill 1/8 in. hole ea side . Stick 1/8 steel thru and measure ( check ) centrality , a knife blade whittles the alloy easy , if your doing it at 11 pm in the dark etc , and are off .

So get the L E holes satisfactory & round , finish drill to 1/4 dia ( or similar ).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pin back thru ( a rod or tube , Out with the virneer ( Shifting Spanner  :P)  and mark back blade width at the spinner dia. plus say 1/8 Max . from FRONT of Hole .
Another mark about 45 deg. down & back . ( same Dimn. as hole hight , back ) from front underside oh hole .

Grabed the Circle Template & scribed large rad. aft  intersecting the 1/4 hole Fr. Edge ,
another , or stright - under front 1/4 hole to 40 - 45 Deg. Slash ( front underside blade ) mark .

Chop with razor saw judiciously inside line . stop just short of 1/4 hole . 1/64th .  VD~

Out with the big half round file .

Of Course Three Blades you looking at 120 Deg , and will have to match circumfretially . Mark a line around circuferance at L E hole center hight . or center top & bottom ( 3 )
Virneer measure between Equal on All , the crucial take time set up key .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluked it spot on Fri. on 2 " spinner , with scrapeing to lines . with 11 x 5 T F & 11 x 6 old T F roudnded props fitting marvellously .
Just edges in over the prop , one side at a time .

About the Third Brodak uncut Ive Cut , so wasnt entirely providential , tho the errors in the first 1/8 dia. holes, balanced to match  , dialed it in just right .

Take the time to triple check the 180 degree bit Ea Time , is the deciseive part . ( a rat tail files good , but go easy , its soft as butter .
Getting Equal Fwd is easier , but must be exact . The Cross Bar thru the initial holes ( a longish one ) and its trueing exact to hight & same distance to Ea Side , when at Fwd Edge of Holes , is the KEY .

Once there , its ' Equal Each Side . With offsets to starboard rather than port , when your useing Left Hand Props .

Just put the plane in the boot , so ' a picture ' another day . But its a right hand prop , unless I take it in a mirror .  ;D

Practise on a junk one or plastic , marking out , if they bother you . Once mastered your unlikely to ruin one .

Hold Between Wooden Blocks in your vice . And dont crush it outa shape . minor displacements ease true with thumb pressure , when it shifts sawing it , under L E back cuts .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 03:06:43 AM »
You can just see it , on the blue plane in the background .  Not Elec. ST 46 . But the Glow Plug requires electricity momentarilly . !

Medium Half Round matched the large curve , the alloys NOT Hard. Knife Scraped final edge , coned larger inside face once matched to prop . .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here