News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Latest electric, RSM Continental  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Latest electric, RSM Continental
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my latest electric plane.  It's an RSM Continental that I purchased a number of years ago and finally it is starting to come together.

Power system is made up of:
1.  KR Timer/governor with the latest 1.2 Vari-Gain firmware
2.  ZTW 70amp ESC
3.  Hacker A30-10XL motor
4.  APC 12x6.5 WEP (from Dennis Adamisin)
5.  3300mha LiPoly

Hope to take this to VSC 2013 next year if things go well. :)
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Latest electric, RSM Continental
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
Looking good Andy - power system will be great too.   8)

For VSC 2013?  I don't know mon, you might have to HURRY!   LL~   LL~   LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Hey Denny
I can't believe you didn't ask me how the motor fits into the plane. S?P  As far as getting it ready for VSC 2013, if I keep at it I should have just enough time...
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »
Hey Denny
I can't believe you didn't ask me how the motor fits into the plane. S?P  As far as getting it ready for VSC 2013, if I keep at it I should have just enough time...
Andy

Hmmmm, looks like you have it front mounted (very good) with an x-plate carrying a rear external bearing support (make that great!).  I cannot tell from the pix, did you have to cut a motor-sized hole in the second bulkhead so you can feed the motor in through the battery compt?

???  ???  ???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
Well finally you asked, no the motor drops in from the top into guide rails and then is held down by the top cover.  It just slips in and out, now if it will just work.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
Well finally you asked, no the motor drops in from the top into guide rails and then is held down by the top cover.  It just slips in and out, now if it will just work.
Andy

Not had a lot of experience with electrics but I do know that they do have vibration and tork moments.  I would worry about the slip joints getting loose due to grinding.   ~^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »
Really nice looking so far, Andy!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:45:51 AM »
Rick Sawicki up around Detroit, has been using a slide-in tray mounts like this for years with one important difference, he runs two SM screws into the plate from either side.  That would help take care of the "wiggle" John Rist mentioned.

SLICK mounting system!  Rick used his to test different motors quickly. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »
OK, you guys got me thinking.  Dennis what is a "SM" screw, not sure what you mean by that.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »
OK, you guys got me thinking.  Dennis what is a "SM" screw, not sure what you mean by that.
Andy

sheet metal
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
. . .  As far as getting it ready for VSC 2013, if I keep at it I should have just enough time...
Andy

Don't even THINK about it!   :X
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
Mike old buddy, come on it's a Classic not a Old Time.  Now I find out Uncle Mikey looks at this section, I figured I was safe posting in the electric secion.  Oh well!
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
Guess we will have to check prices on new rope at the local hardware store.   Now you know why Bobby Hunt doesn't fly electric at VSC.  I have seen electric and tuned pipes flown at VSC, but I don't think they won any thing.   It is scary to have a plane buzz by and no noise other than the prop.   But, Andy have the little lady bake some more of those great cookies and I think Uncle Mike will turn his back. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
Andy has actually discovered fillets, filler and sandpaper.  Will the wonders never cease?  LL~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
Ya and I am on my third canopy, at least this time I thought ahead and had Eric send me two. n~
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
Andy has actually discovered fillets, filler and sandpaper.  Will the wonders never cease?  LL~

Sandpaper?   ???   :o  n~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
Yep I know Dennis here I thought sandpaper was only getting rooms in the house ready for painting.  How was I suppose to know it could be used on model airplanes.  Larry is much smarter than I am he went to MIT and was a real honest to God rocket man, at least that's what he tells me...
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »
Don't even THINK about it!   :X

Guess I am confused here.  What would be the problem here? 

Are what you saying Mike if I flew out to VSC with an electric powered Joker and electric powered Goodyear or GT-1, that would be an issue?  Where is the issue with Andrew and his Continental?

This is getting ridiculous.

Great work Andrew.  Keep it up.  I and many other support your choice of power. I look forward to hearing about how it works out for you.   

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »
A lot better model rocket man than full scale!  They don't put me in books for my work on testing the Centaur rocket motor!  Just as well they didn't put me in jail.  And then there was the incident sliding my Sprite sideways between two Semi's on a rain slicked road....  I was young and really stupid, but then what is new.

Never did figure out just how to fry those 'Gators on the test stand.  Thank goodness that PETA didn't catch on to what we did.  The 'Gators loved the warm concrete on the blast baffles!  OOPS! But nothing left for the BBQ.  Fried 'Gator spread over a few acres of swamp is hard to collect.

In those days I drove an Austin Healy Sprite. The 'Gators lolling by the river paralleling the road were half again as long as my car.  I was VERY careful to keep it in tune and filled with gas!

It is amazing wht a couple of hurricaines will do to the finish on a car.  Ah, the fond ? memories.  The white Sprite ended up Mustang Poppy Red at the insurance companie's expense.  Cool!  until I got that ticket for street racing....  n~  Again, young and stupid.  n1

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 08:08:41 AM »
Hey Andrew, don't let them get ya.   Electric has been flown in Old Time and Classic at VSC.    Uncle Mikey will just turn his back after drooling all over your plane.   At least I think he would. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
Larry
You never told me the gator stories.  Actually I have had fried gator and regardless what PETA says, the gator taste very good. >:D
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »
We had grilled Crocodile in New Zealand.  Not bad at all.  Tastes like chicken, but then that is what they feed them.  LL~

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 08:50:18 AM »
Watched the Swamp People on the TV.   They trap and shoot gators for a living.  One mans wife says that gator is the only meat in the freezer.   Claims it is healthier than beef or pork. H^^ 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »
I need to post some new information on the Continental, this thread is really getting off track. y1  Well tomorrow I plan to resume work, the canopy is on and I am ready to spray the base coat of white.  I am going with latex paint, man I hope I don't live to regret this decision.  As soon as I have some pictures worth posting I will put them up.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
Are the pictures done yet???? LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
Andy
Well it wont work if I have Your govener which was sent to me by Eric by mistake. Looking good Andy. Hope to see you one of these years in Tuscon.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
Leo
Funny thing about that ESC/Timer, I had been looking for them for several weeks.  I turned my garage and house upside down trying to track them down.  Eric shows up at Palmer contest and shows them to me.  I looked at them  and screamed "that's mine" and yes they are well used and actually good units. 

How Eric wound up with them I do not know, I think he was lurking around my garage.  Anyway thank you for returning them, I really did want to use them.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
Andy. Does that hackier kind of run with a pulse. Mine does on the bench with no prop on it. I am real happy with the set up as it is not going to take much to keep it cool.  the thunder p0iwer charger is harder to set up than I thought it would be. but I will eventually get used to it. I also like the gain control that comes with this setup. Have great day Andy and try to stay in trouble. HB~> HB~> HB~>
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:14:13 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Leo
"Andy. Does that hacker kind of run with a pulse. Mine does on the bench with no prop on it."

OK Leo, they all run like that when you don't have a prop load on the motor.  The governor is going crazy trying to stabilize the motor.  Now with a prop on it, and depending where the gain is set (why I recommend 5 or 4) the motor sometimes hunts a bit in level flight.  The governor is responding to slight changes in motor load and then amplifying the change by the gain value.  It does not happen with every motor and the few cases I have seen it can be minimized by reducing the gain one number.   Anyway I do not recommend running the motor without  a prop load, infact I would not recommend that regardless of the equipment you are using, especially if it has a governor in the system.

And finally I am doing my absolute best to stay out of trouble, life is just more fun that way. y1
Take Care my Friend
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here