News:

• June 16, 2024, 04:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitro Prop vs. Electric Prop  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Nitro Prop vs. Electric Prop
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
Hi, All.

I'm trying to figure out what motor I want for a plane.  I'm referencing the Cox .15 engine props and RPMs for the plane, and was wondering how the old wooden or plastic nitro props compared to electric props.  For instance, the instruction sheet for a TD .15 says it turned an 8"x4" prop at 15,700RPM.  Would an APC 8x4E electric prop have approximately the same thrust as the nitro 8x4 prop if run at the same 15.7K?  I'm just trying to pick the motor KV/Battery voltage combo that will match the stated numbers for the Cox .15 engine.

I know, I've used the search function to see what other people have used for .15 sized planes, but there is still a large variation in motors used, and most seem to be in the overkill category as far as wattage is concerned.  Besides, I'm just wondering about the general characteristics of electric vs. nitro props.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nitro Prop vs. Electric Prop
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
An 8x4 electric prop spinning at the same speed will be in the ballpark of an 8x4 "nitro" prop.  But only in the ballpark -- which is all that you'd get comparing Brand A "nitro" prop with Brand B, so you should be happy with that.

Is this for stunt?  A 4-inch pitch prop at 15700 RPM may get you going a bit faster than you want -- a Tower 40 running a 4-pitch prop at 10000 RPM (in the air, launch RPM is slower) does 5.2 second laps or faster.  Up the RPM by 50% and it would seem like you'd be going at an awfully fast clip.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »
Please don't try running an APC E prop at that rpm.  Can't remember the recommended max rpm, 12k comes to mind though.  You may want to check on the APC web site.  The e-props are probably more efficient at certain rpm's, but are limited due to the thickness. Can't have everything.

What exactly did you want to do with the motor?  What plane?
Gonzo

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
I was wanting to do a SIG Akromaster.  I know there have been a couple of these done before, and the motors were quoted, but the motors seemed to have an excess of power for the needed application.  I want to find the lightest motor and battery combo that I can for this setup.

According to the APC website:   Thin Electrics Max RPM = 145,000/prop diameter.  So, an 8x4E prop would be 145,000/8 = 18,125 RPM maximum.  So 15.7K is within the allowable limits.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:46:46 PM by Mark Mc »

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:36 PM »
Hi Mark,
You can swing a fine pitch prop with a small diameter at that sort of rpm, but it is noisy.......and dangerous if the prop throws a blade. I've been playing with small motors for the last year or so and find that a good .15 equivalent is a motor that weighs around 70 to 75 grams with an APC 8 x 6 E prop. I'm hoping to fly my new test model that is a bit bigger than the Sig Akromaster this week-end and then I'll have some more figures to post. You can use a bigger diameter prop to get the thrust but then prop clearance becomes and issue, so for me 8" is the maximum for practical reasons. I'm using one of RSM's Black Tiger 3530 C motors with a 1400 Kv and this on my bench tests sounds about right. One of my KR Compact timers would also work nicely on the Akromaster as it takes up less space. If you want to use another type of timer then just remember to use an esc with some kind of governor system, as the systems without governors are not a good idea.

There is a lot of good data on the Cobra motors website with all of the prop tests that you can think of for each motor. A good starting place might be the Cobra C2213/18 motor with a 7 x 6 prop on a 3 cell lipo. The Akromaster would most likely fly well with a Cox Tee Dee .09. You could most likely compete with a Goodyear racer with a screaming Tee Dee .15! The old Enya .15 plain bearing engines worked fine on the Akromaster so I would really suggest looking at that particular Cobra motor or something similar. Just keep asking questions here if you're stuck. There are a lot of very experienced guys here that have been playing with e-power since it was introduced and they are all willing to help. Have fun!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
I wouldn't put too much stock in APC's propeller calculations. They may or may not be based on test to destruction experiments but, if you spin a thin prop too fast the tips will flutter and efficiency drops off along with your safety margin.

MM

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
Thin blades flex more than thick blades.  Electric props have thinner blades than glow props.  When the prop stalls there is a significant increase in loudness as the blades flex, flap, and beat the air.  The edge of the prop disk become distorted visually, which is what should be avoided.  Problem is you need to look somewhat edgewise on the disk to see the effect, and your head should not be there.

Use a servo tester or RC unit to ramp the prop up to the desired RPM.  If it stalls making a whole bunch of racket in static thrust significantly below the target RPM then there is a good chance it will do the same in the air.  If it it stalls and flutters real close (1k-2k) to the target RPM it may be fine.  It would be best if it didn't flutter at all though (it can still stall in static thrust without flutter, which should be fine since this plane is not expected to "prop hang").

Just because it is electric doesn't mean that the prop in the kit is the right prop for YOUR setup (same as with glow).  My RC arf experience says the prop in the kit usually sucks and a good heavy glow prop produces more actual thrust anyways.  I would try the props on your recommended list and see what happens.

I really wish I could find a particular youtube that demonstrates this on the bench, with sound and close up video of the prop disk as it starts fluttering.  This video shows the effect, but not very well.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here