News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kind of tach and tach readings  (Read 416 times)

Offline Ron Hook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Kind of tach and tach readings
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:23:40 PM »
I could use some help and insight on the following:

1. What name brand tachs are ECL flyers using? Are some better than others?

2. How do you tach your prop? I have noticed that in taking tach readings, you can get great variances in readings depending on where you place the tach. How close to the prop should you get. Do you take a reading from behind the prop or in front? Do place the tach in the center near the hub or out at the very tip of the prop?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Ron Hook
Goodyear, AZ
Ron Hook
Goodyear, AZ

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Kind of tach and tach readings
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »
Ron,
I have used a Tower photocell meter for both IC and electrics. With this type of meter you need to have good "white" light, by that I mean sunlight from mid morning ish to late afternoon. On electric we can do testing inside the house or garage the trick here is to use a DC battery powered flash light positioned in front of the prop shotting it's light at the height you want to put the tack. This is because inside light bulbs actually cycle on/off with the AC current (you can see this by taking you meter and pointing it at a bulb - it will read 3600 which is 60 cycles per sec, the standard grid cycles in the US (3000 or 50 cps in UK). The DC flash light eliminates this and give correct readings.

Best,             DennisT

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Kind of tach and tach readings
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:12 PM »
I use a TNC tach,, well its the new version, its spendy, but I bought it for using with my pylon racers, and its nice for CL too, though its almost to sensetive,,
make sure you have a good light source, as mentioned
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here