News:

• April 26, 2024, 01:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keith Renecle Timers synchronization in two motors configuration  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hello,
Please see the attached.
I have used two KR timers to control Himax 3516-kV1030 contra (https://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-266.html).
Himax has been fitted with 12x6 carbon AFT propeller (18 grams) and Igor's 11x5x3 carbon FWD propeller (18 grams). Why different number of blades? I will explain later in this thread.

The timers are connected in parallel and served by one slide switch.
Both timers have the same setup (RPM, start-up delay time, time of flight and gain).

Comment: the programming of KR timers using the programming stick is moderately precise. It is sufficient for a single motor-single timer-single propeller configuration but for two motors configuration the synchronization of motors is not 100%. Please keep reading...I will explain.

Two Cobra 40* ESCs and one 4S 3000 mAh. 20C Zippy Compact are used with "Y" harness to split the current.

The model can complete two minutes flight with wingover, square eight, triangle, hourglass and inverse level flight at the moment but I will gradually increase the time of flight to four minutes.
Comment: the battery drain after two minutes "mini-pattern" is only 1005 mAh., 3000 mAh battery will survive four minutes and I will use 4S 4000 mAh batteries soon.

Despite the fact that both KR timers have the same start-up delay, the motors start SEQUENTIALLY and the entire process is like described below:
1. I switch ON the system and both propellers flip briefly as expected - at this moment the start-up delay should begin
2. I walk to the handle and get ready
3. The AFT propeller starts turning and reaches governed RPM while eParrot rolls merrily, slowly accelerating
4. The FWD propeller starts turning and reaches governed RPM while eParrot takes off.

Important: the time interval between 3. and 4. above is about three seconds.

5. When the programmed time of flight (two minutes now) is reached, the AFT propeller increases its RPM briefly giving warning, as expected, and stops.
6. The model flies quietly for the next three seconds on FWD propeller ONLY, then there is warning, and FWD propeller stops.
7. Model lands with both propellers rotating very slowly - Cobra ESCs have the hard brake ON but this cannot prevent the propellers rotation completely.

Perhaps two KR timers cannot be synchronized because of their hardware and software properties/features?
Perhaps  two KR timers can be synchronized using some clever trick?

Your comments and suggestions are, as always, cordially appreciated.
Stay Safe and Fly Safe,
M

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Keith Renecle Timers synchronization in two motors configuration
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 06:24:46 AM »
Your comments and suggestions are, as always, cordially appreciated.

Matt,

Exactly what is your goal with all this? What are you trying to accomplish?

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 06:54:40 AM »
Hey Matt,

Sounds like the start-up delay time is not matched for some reason.  Did you try shortening the start-up delay time of the FWD propeller by 3-4 seconds?  Troubleshooting redundant/dual systems is easy.  Swap timers or ESC's to see if the problem moves.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 08:54:35 AM »
What Paul said.

Does the KR timer let you set the start-up interval?  Are they set to the same thing?  Might they have different software revisions?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
Hi Charles,
I am trying to fly the contra powered plane in which both propellers action is synchronized.

Hi Paul,
Numerically, the start-up delay is the same in both KR timers - it is 35 seconds.
I will try swapping.

Hi Tim,
The start-up delay is programmable using the programming stick and it is the same in both KR timers.
I can read the content of the hexadecimal code of each of my many KR timers so when the same hex number is in the same place they use the same decimal number.

M

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »
The start-up delay is programmable using the programming stick and it is the same in both KR timers.
I can read the content of the hexadecimal code of each of my many KR timers so when the same hex number is in the same place they use the same decimal number.

Do you mean you've checked the code space, and the software is identical in each?

I'd try Paul's suggestion to swap the timers fore & aft; see if that makes the problem switch.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 11:05:43 AM »
I am trying to fly the contra powered plane in which both propellers action is synchronized.

Matt,

For the look or for the performance?

You know some of this coutra stuff has been talked about in the past?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 04:04:16 PM »
It seems that I have found the solution to the problem.
I will verify the idea in flight and publish the results, if they are satisfactory, on this forum.

Next step: I am looking for everybody who flies stunt with models having two electric motors in any configuration and Keith Renecle, Rogerio Fiorotti or Igor Burger timers.

M

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »
It seems that I have found the solution to the problem.
I will verify the idea in flight and publish the results, if they are satisfactory, on this forum.

Next step: I am looking for everybody who flies stunt with models having two electric motors in any configuration and Keith Renecle, Rogerio Fiorotti or Igor Burger timers.

M

Actually, the answer to this question is easy with a Hubin, Fiorotti or Burger timer: just use one timer and drive both ESCs from the common throttle signal.  The reason you can't do that with the KR timer is because it's replacing the governor feature found on higher-end ESCs with Keith's governor.  Any timer that just drives the ESC can drive two (or four, or six) with a 'Y' cable, and problem solved.
AMA 64232

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »
Matt. I do not know where is exactly your problem, except for Keith timer all normally work with several ESCs. Reason is clear and explained by Tim.

I think you know my facebook page where I published how to connect my active timer with Spin ESC with only one switch (so it does not need modiffication of switches to start them together) as those switches handle only 5V for timers. So that ESC switch will nicely handle start - stop of timers.

You can ask some of your polish friends, several of them do or want to use contraprops with my timer and two spins44. Also Pavlo k
K. makes and uses his contraprops in the same configuration. Did not you see it?

Here is his solution:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1302226776622090&id=363984487112995

and here is how to do it on wires level:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1346574585520642&id=363984487112995

If the question is why those timer do not work EXACTLY in time (IF programmed with identical values) ... the answer can be that also mine and as far as I know also KR (I do not want speak for Keith) use RC oscillator in PIC chip. So they are not exact like quarz oscillators. Normally they are nicely calibrated, but still, there can be some difference. It does not play role if there is only one timer, because if you fly 2 seconds longer or shorter does not matter. Im portant that it is repeatable. I can manage motor stop on place of circle where I want in respect to wind for example (with help of beeping watches in pocket).

But one note here ... that calibration value is stored to chip by hex programmer, are you sure that you did not delete that value in chip while you played with firmware? It could easily happen. Actually it needs special behavior of programer NOT to delete it (it must read it, store, do wanted operations and on end store it back - if programmer fails during that, calibration is lost).

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
Hi Tim,
Actually, two ESCs can work with one KR timer. I have proved it this afternoon.
Flight tests of eParrot with Himax contra will show if the behavior is steady and repeatable.

Hi Igor,
Yesterday, I have found your facebook diagram of connections for two Spins, two motors and your timer. I did not know this diagram before.
Because I am stuck in Canada, I have here only one Spin66 (old style) but many Cobra ESCs.

When I decided to convert eParrot to contra, I had to use two Cobra ESCs. Many years ago, Keith emailed me a diagram of connections for two motors showing two KR timers working with two ESCs and two motors.
I have used Keith's diagram to build the connections in eParrot. The system worked but the motors were not properly synchronized. My original message in this thread describes everything in greater detail.

This afternoon, I have also successfully used Rogerio Fiorotti active timer for two motors and two Cobra ESCs. Your active timer will be tested with two Cobra ESCs next.

Yeah...I know who does what and how in Poland and Ukraine but the credible information is sometimes hard to find.

Thank you,
M

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »
Friends,

I made a video where it shows the synchronism of the ESCīs in two engine systems.

Two low cost motors were used, 10x5 3 blades Graupner - ESC Castle MultiRotor - power supply set to 4S and my timer v6.4 with differential RMP adjustment between motors.

Matt found problems using ESCīs Cobra on my system but with ESCīs Castle and Jeti they work very well.

Just remembering ... ESC Castle MultiRotor are not recommended for F2B your brake system is momentary.

Rogerio.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:48:26 PM by Rogerio Fiorotti »

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 10:07:27 AM »
Hi Rogerio,
Thank you for excellent presentation.

Let me comment on your statement that "..Matt found problems using Cobra ESCs on my system..."

The only thing I can confirm is that two Cobra ESCs did not work when connected the way you described in your manual for V.6.X active timer (ref: http://www.cltimer.com/wa_files/CL_20Timer_20v_6_20EN.pdf).

However, two Cobra ESCs worked well with your V.6.X active timer, when both were connected to channel 1 of this timer and the (+) connection from any ESC was isolated (ref:  Igor's diagram - attached)

By "working well", I mean the following:
1. Both motors start "spooling-up" at the same time
2. Both motors run with the same RPM
3. Both motors stop at the same time with Hard Brake ESCs feature active

Best Regards.
M

P.S: This what we are doing is extremely interesting and this is how different "things" should be checked.
       The C/L community can only benefit from such tests, what is one of my main goals in never ending quest to improve and understand.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 10:53:15 AM »
The report from the (battle) field:
I have made three 4 minutes flights with eParrot having Himax contra, two Cobra 40+ ESCs, one KR timer and 4S 3000 20C Zippy battery.

I like the way the model flies: it is evident right now that wind (10 km./h with rapid gusts reaching about 20 km/h) affects the model's speed in maneuvers MUCH LESS than in case of flying the same model with one motor, one prop. power plant.

This is exactly what Krystian Borzecki (PL) told me:"...contra will maintain ALMOST steady speed in maneuvers no matter WHICH way the model is flying and the model with contra is LESS sensitive to the wind and wind gusts.."

During flights today, I have confirmed that both motors constituting the Himax contra started at the same time (after 35 seconds start-up delay). The warning on both motors was clearly audible, at the same time and BOTH motors stopped at the same time in the air.

I have also confirmed that the contra power plant uses less battery than a single motor, single propeller configuration in the same model performing the same maneuvers. In eParrot's case it was 15-17% less. This single finding is very valuable as somebody flying a well trimmed electric stunt plane with contra can use the LiPo batteries having smaller capacity, therefore lighter or/and easier to get in many countries.  It is also worthwhile to mention the price: the best Polish contra fliers use 2300-2530 mAh. GenuACE (3S+3S=6S) and Revoletrix (6S) to power full size, competition F2B models and the cost of these batteries is about 60% of the cost of 6S 2800 25C ThunderPower ProLite.

During today's eParrot flights, I have also noticed something else.... Namely, the level flight RPM of Himax motors were not REASONABLY stable. I did not expect perfection but it was clearly audible that RPM were going SLIGHTLY up and down in a periodic fashion. I do not know what was the amplitude of these fluctuations but the period was rather low: around 0.5 -1 second. 

Keith Renecle suspects that "...the rear (Himax) motor has no feedback to the timer so it is simply getting commands from the single timer without any negative feedback control loop.." and this is certainly possible.
How to get rid of these RPM fluctuations while using one KRG and two Cobra 60+ ESCs? I do not know at this moment but I will keep experimenting and flying eParrot. 

I know...I know...The easy solution is to buy two Spin 44 or/and some Castle Creation ESCs and use either Igor's or Rogerio's active timers with contra but, without all these tests I have done, I would not know this what I know now.

Stay Safe and Happy (contra) flying.
M

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »
During today's eParrot flights, I have also noticed something else.... Namely, the level flight RPM of Himax motors were not REASONABLY stable. I did not expect perfection but it was clearly audible that RPM were going SLIGHTLY up and down in a periodic fashion. I do not know what was the amplitude of these fluctuations but the period was rather low: around 0.5 -1 second.

Keith Renecle suspects that "...the rear (Himax) motor has no feedback to the timer so it is simply getting commands from the single timer without any negative feedback control loop.." and this is certainly possible.
How to get rid of these RPM fluctuations while using one KRG and two Cobra 60+ ESCs? I do not know at this moment but I will keep experimenting and flying eParrot. 

My expectation in that situation would be that the rear motor is only partially regulated, with its command going up and down as the needs of the front motor changes.  So its speed would either not keep up with changing load, or would overshoot.

I wouldn't have been at all surprised with variations in response to maneuvers or wind and mildly surprised by strong oscillations around 2-10Hz.  I can't think of a mechanism for the slow oscillations you're experiencing, unless the airplane speed is oscillating somehow, and feeding back to the load on the front motor.
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 08:38:02 PM »
Your energy savings is similar with boats using stator struts and contra propellers.  It has been years since I read on this so I cannot cite books, but there are many regarding yacht and working boat designs.  Contra rotation effectively removes twist from the fluid flow regaining losses.

Phil

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 07:41:07 AM »
Hi Tim,
I have also more questions than answers. I was too enthusiastic stating that "...I have found the solution to the problem".
Following the advice of one of the Chinese philosophers, I should simply wait a 1000 years and everything will be solved.

Hi Phil,
I agree...This is exactly what the contra power plant does in stunt.
Contra is the future of stunt and more an more top fliers will use it.

Happy Flying (and down with the virus...)
Regards, M

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 08:33:32 AM »
Hello,
After testing and testing and more testing, I have found the following:
1. Keith Renecle timers (KRG) do not work CORRECTLY with two Cobra ESCs and two motors in any configuration. "Two motors" mean either two separate motors or Himax 3516-1030 motors.
    By correctly I mean:
                       a. reasonably stable RPM of BOTH motors during the flight time
                       b. Both motors start and stop at the same time
                       c. The warning at the end of the test/flight is present.
For those who never used KRG: warning is a sequence of RPM at the end of the flight. First, the RPM drops slightly for about 2 seconds, and then RPM increase for about 3-4 seconds and the motor stops.
                       d. The hard brakes applied by the programming of the Cobra ESCs is REPEATEDLY active in each test
                       e. It is possible to use the programming stick that comes with the KRG to change RPM, flight time, start-up delay and gain.

It is possible, though, that KRG will work CORRECTLY in two motors configuration with the ESCs having the governor function, modes etc. I have still only one such ESC (Spin 66 F2B) and could not test KRG with them.

By the way: during my yesterday's conversation with Igor Burger, I suggested using SpinXX F2B instead of SpinXX "old style" for the family of the Jeti Spins with fast reaction time, used almost exclusively in the EU for F2B. We will see if the new name sticks.

Fiorotti's active timer works a little better with two Cobra ESCs hooked up to this timer channel1 in parallel and two motors but the RPM, current, power, and voltage are slowly dropping during one-minute tests. Again, Cobra ESCs do not have the governor function, needed to stabilize the test/flight parameters. I will test the Fiorotti's timer with Spin44 PRO very soon.

By the way: Spin44PRO has the reaction time (for the accelerometer input) longer than Spin44 F2B. Igor tested Spin44PRO some time ago and this time is six times longer than for Spin44 F2B.
It probably does not matter too much for the intermediate stunt flyers but the top competitors must perform very sharp corners with almost instantaneous power boost and then the ESC reaction time matters.

Igor's active timer does not work with two Cobra ESCs at all.

Final conclusion: Cobra ESCs work reasonably well in the single KRG, single ESC, and single motor configuration. I am currently flying three stunt models having such configuration and everything works correctly.

Your comments and questions are appreciated,
Stay Safe, Fly Safely and Down with The Virus,
M

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
Igor's active timer does not work with two Cobra ESCs at all.

Well, I did not tell that. It gives standard R/C signal, so it will work with any ESC. What I say is, that to get all from my timer it needs to use good ESC. Timer can work perfectly but if ESC does not react well, all is lost and I recommend rather use constant RPM instead of power boost which comes too late, because result is, that instead of keeping good speed on top of figure, result is slowing down uphill (because it accelerates late), then accelerating when model goes already down to ground (again because it brakes late).

... means usage of good (and expensive) timer with not so well working cheap ESC is much worse that usage cheap timer with well working constant RPM setup (and does not matter if totally trivial timer and ESC with simple - read slow - governor or Keiths timer with cheap simple ESC)

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 09:23:04 AM »

1. Keith Renecle timers (KRG) do not work CORRECTLY with two Cobra ESCs and two motors in any configuration. "Two motors" mean either two separate motors or Himax 3516-1030 motors.

I cannot speak for Keith, but I know how that timer works and I am not sure what you exactly tested. I do not see reason why TWO his timers on TWO simple ESCs on TWO motors shout not work. Are you speaking about such combination? Or one timer and two escs?

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 09:49:29 AM »
I have actually been talking back and forth to Matt over a few weeks about this, and his experiments with using one of my timers to feed both motors are interesting. Bottom line is that one governor system cannot control two individual motors. It needs two of my timers each with its own pick-up wire. Loren Nell in New Zealand did this and it worked o.k. but it's messy so it's just easier to using one of Igor's or Rogerio's system for this.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Hello again.
The time has come to fine-tune the Fiorotti's active timer with two Jeti Spin 44 PRO and Himax 3516-1030 contra.
Rogerio, in his C/L TIMER V.6.X manual, gave some numerical examples that allow for the initial setup. Specifically, he is showing the sequence of consecutive images of the JetiBox displays.

What I am looking for at this moment are four parameters in the case when two Jeti Spin 44 PRO are used:

1.  (RPM ESC1) Engine RPM - For Jeti Spin ESC RPM=230 is recommended - confirmation required.
2.  (RPM Max) Maximum RPM - numbers needed
3.  (RPM Min) Minimum RPM - numbers needed
4.  (RPM ESC2) 2nd Engine RPM - numbers needed

The limiting current for Himax 3516-1030 is 36 Amps. I was and will be using 11x5x3 Igor carbon F2B propeller and 12x6 Polprop or 11x5.5 APC E or/ and two 11x5.5 APC (left and right). The battery is 4S.
For the purpose of the initial testing, I may also use smaller counter-rotating propellers, like 9x6 APC E.

The last thing I need is to set one of the above-listed parameters in a wrong way and burn something while testing on the rig. 

Hi again, Igor,
In your response dated June 19, 2020, you have stated: " I do not see reason why TWO his timers on TWO simple ESCs on TWO motors shout not work ".

I have tested this configuration many times and even made several flights with eParrot equipped with two KRGs, two Cobra 40+ESCs, Himax 3516-1030 and 11x5x3 and 12x6 carbon composite propellers.
The maximum flight time was set to be 3 minutes and 40 seconds, mostly level flight, two or three lazy and very large loops and some inverted. At that time (May 21 and 22), I have used 3S 4000 mAh 25C battery. The plane was flying too slowly and was lethargic. The start-up, flight, and landing sequence looked as follows:
1. Battery connected and both motors beeped
2. One common sliding switch was moved into the ON position and both props. flipped simultaneously
3. I walked to the handle
4. ONLY one motor started after the start-up delay expired (35 seconds in BOTH KRGs) - the plane began rolling
5. In 2-3 seconds, the second motor started
6. The plane took off
7. After the flight time programmed into BOTH KRGs (3 minutes and 40 seconds), ONLY one motor gave the warning and stopped with hard brake
8. The other motor kept running with low RPM (unknown but allowing for slow level flight) and stopped after the measured flight time was approaching 5 minutes (!!!)

After this experience, I have decided to test only on the ground and this is what I was doing for the next month.

My conclusion (again and after many, eLogger documented, tests): there must be something in a way two Cobra 40+/60+ Amps. ESCs work with two or one KRG that makes this circuit inherently unstable.
                                                                                                           I will limit the use of KRG to a single motor and single ESC configuration in which KRG works well.

Like I wrote on June 19, 2020: it is possible, though, that KRG will work CORRECTLY in the two motors configuration with the ESCs having the governor function, modes, etc.

Thank you,
M

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:12 AM »
Please see my today's message titled " Fiorotti timer and Himax contra".

The thread  "Keith Renecle Timers synchronization in two motors configuration" is closed with negative results.
I may come back to this thread later - if I decide to do it, the Forum community will be notified.
Stay Safe and Fly Safely,
M

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here