News:

• June 14, 2024, 09:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Offset for electric engines  (Read 819 times)

Offline Jonathan Chivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Offset for electric engines
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:45 AM »
Hello all,
do the sames rules about engine offsets from the center line of a fuselage used in the I/C world apply to electric engines?

I am asking this as I am converting a plan designed for I/C that has the motor set to a 1degree below the horizontal plane and in-line with the fuselage center line when looking from the top down along the length of the fuselage. I need to know if I keep this alignment with the electric motor.

Jonathan.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Offset for electric engines
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:19:12 AM »
Hello all,
do the sames rules about engine offsets from the center line of a fuselage used in the I/C world apply to electric engines?

I am asking this as I am converting a plan designed for I/C that has the motor set to a 1degree below the horizontal plane and in-line with the fuselage center line when looking from the top down along the length of the fuselage. I need to know if I keep this alignment with the electric motor.

Jonathan.

The offset could depend on the direction of rotation.  Which do you plan on using?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Jonathan Chivers

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »
Hi Crist,
anti-clockwise as I look down the lines at the plane.

Jonathan

Offline Ron Heckler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »
Hi Crist,
anti-clockwise as I look down the lines at the plane.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I have built 6 electric planes. Three profiles and three full bodies. I have never put offset in the motor or rudder and they fly with plenty of line tension using tractor or pusher props, but my favorite is the "Pusher" or ("Reversed Pitch"). The "Pusher" keeps the line tension better than the tractor when doing outside maneuvers.

Ron

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
Hi Jonathan,
I am not sure whether you are asking about out-thrust or down-thrust ... which is it?
On the subject of out-thrust, because the RPM does not vary much, many flyers have reported none or minimal ill effects from excess out-thrust.
As for the downthrust and or positive stab incidence that some find useful ... there is no clear concensus as to what is needed with a reverse rotation prop.

Regards,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here