News:

• May 18, 2024, 03:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just getting started.  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Roger Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Re: Just getting started.
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »
Alan,

Thanks for the input.  I guess the only thing to do is to continue testing to determine what package seems right for me.  I would like to be pretty sure about my package before I assemble the T-Rex.

Roger

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 08:56:20 PM »
Roger
Something bugs me - my Pathfinder flying on .018" x 66' lines, using a 12x6 APC Pusher prop at 9000 RPM, timer set about 5:45, and used 2650 mah or so out of a 4S pack.

You are using a little over 3300 mah over 6:33 out of a 5S pack - that is a huge total power difference, I swagged 38% after adjusting for the flight times.

Mine is flying roughly 5.3 sec laps, you are flying 5.0 sec (line size?)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 07:49:59 AM »
Roger
Something bugs me - my Pathfinder flying on .018" x 66' lines, using a 12x6 APC Pusher prop at 9000 RPM, timer set about 5:45, and used 2650 mah or so out of a 4S pack.

You are using a little over 3300 mah over 6:33 out of a 5S pack - that is a huge total power difference, I swagged 38% after adjusting for the flight times.

Mine is flying roughly 5.3 sec laps, you are flying 5.0 sec (line size?)

Yes I find it amazing that so much power seems to be needed, especially since it is a 5s pack. Is it just the weight and the extra drag even to maintain level flight?? 5.0 s laps with his length lines may also be flying pretty fast (=extra drag).

Of course Roger isn't flying a "normal" pattern, so it is possible he is doing more maneuvering than is done in the normal pattern. Probably not, but I am grasping at straws!

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »
Hey Dennis,

I am flying on 64' long 0.18 dia lines.  If I slow the rpm down to 9000 with the lower lap times, the plane sags on the overheads.  I have to keep the rpm around 9300 to 9500 to have good line tension though out the flight.  I'm sure that my Pathfinder has a lot of drag and is also quite heavy. 

Roger

Alan Hahn

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 09:17:51 AM »
Roger,
To a large extent we are all still learning about "what matters" in this electric business. So our questions are almost just rhetorical as we try to understand some of the differences we see from model to model.

Everytime I think I have stuff in the bag, a new ting comes along and disrupts all my pet theories!

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
Alan,

I agree, I am on a steep learning curve.  As I mentioned previously, I was very surprised that the smaller lighter motor used more power than the larger motor.  That is why I posted the information.  I tried to set everything the same for both motors but it is probably impossible to get everything exactly the same.  With the smaller motor running much warmer, it seems that at least some of the power differance was probably just lost as heat.  The smaller motor also pulled a few more amps that the larger motor.

Roger

Alan Hahn

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »
Alan,

Weight of my electrical componets is as follows:

Motor    -         261g    or    9.21 oz
Battery  -         550g    or  19.4  oz
ESC      -           56.7g  or    2    oz
Timer    -                             .3 oz

If I change the motor to a Turnegy 35-48 I will reduce the weight by 3 oz and if I reduce the battery to a 3000 MAH, 5s, I can reduce the weight another 5 oz.  Those two changes would bring the total weight of my plane down to 62 to 64 oz.

Just checking here again. I note that here your total battery-motor weight is almost 30oz, so your airframe is about 40oz. Probably not unreasonable for a Pathfinder which is a pretty big "40" sized plane.

I think that 20oz battery is killing you. I note that the battery I fly my Vector with is 7 oz (4s2100). I keep telling myself the Pathfinder is a bigger plane than my Vector, and it is true my setups are always on the small side, but it is really amazing the difference. Can it be the profile plane has more drag due to the external mounting of components?

I have an old Brodak P40 profile that I plan to electrify--after I replace the original covering which is basically falling off anyway. I thought I'd originally try it with two of my 3s2100 packs (total 6s2100 or 3s2p4200 depending on the motor I put in--probably one of my Scorpion 3020's). I am curious as to what I will get. This plane originally flew quite well with a Brodak 40 and an APC 10.5x4.5 (magic) prop, running in a deep 4 stroke.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »
Just for fun, I tried to model your Turnigy 3548(800) and compare it to an AXI2826-12.

I used the free DriveCalc program. It actually has both motors in its database, which means someone made some measurements on the motors and inputted them into the database.

What I did was set them up with an APC11-5.5 TE prop--because the 11.5.5 prop nominally draws the same current statically as the APC12-6 TE prop. Then I tried to get your observed inflight RPM (~9500 rpm) by adjusting the "voltage". I'll post two png graphic files of the two motors in this config. What is nice is DriveCalc tells you some useful info on the motors---more than you get from the manufacturer usually. I note the Turnigy is slightly smaller than the AXI 2826---maybe the 2820 would have made a better comparison.

I do note that Drivecalc claims the effective kV for the Turnigy is 702 rpm/V (the "ns" parameter. Compare to the 800 rpm/V manufacturer number.

The green dots on the curve show the 9500 rpm points. The blue line is rpm vs current, the greenline is the motor efficiency, and the red line in the OUTPUT power (to the prop). If you look at the set of numbers on the lower right hand side of the window (just above the reliability sliders), the values for the green dots are given, including the power input (what we normally measure). I note the AXI claims it needs 394 watts to the Turnigy 440 watts to turn the prop at this rpm. I also note the "dynamic" resistance for the AXI is  64.6mOhm and the Turnigy is 166mOhm, a considerable difference. How much of that is due to the smaller size of the Turnigy and its lower kV (more winds) and how much to the winding packing efficiency--I don't know.

But anyway, from this you can see that the Turnigy needs more power than this AXI, and that extra power is basically turned into heat.

They didn't have Roger's original motor, so that's why I chose the AXI, which I bet is larger than the Turnigy, but smaller than the original motor.

Enjoy!! n~

Note after---Added my Scorpion SII3020-780 plot. This is the motor I use on the Vector. It is pulling 394 watts to turn the prop (coincidently the same as the AXI.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:56:26 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »
Alan,

Thanks for the motor data comparison.  I wonder if the same thing applies to the Turnigy SK 35-48 900kv and 1100kv motors as well.  I am looking forward to receiving my 4S battery so I can do some additional testing.  Please note, I am well aware of my big fat power package on the Pathfinder.  Believe it or not,  this fat electric power package if flying the Pathfinder just as well or maybe even better than the OS 46 IC engine that was previously on that plane.

Roger

Alan Hahn

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2010, 07:59:59 AM »
Roger,
Like I said, the DriveCalc program is free and can be downloaded from http://www.drivecalc.de/

They probably have the other Turnigy motors in the data base. Like I mention, someone typically runs a series of props and noload runs at WOT on the motor, and then out the amps, volts, and rpm into the "add motor" window. The program uses these values to calculate how the motor is performing and then draws the curves. As long as you bracket the region you actually run the motor (rpms, amps,..) then it is probably pretty accurate--as accurate as the measurements anyway.

They have versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Down at the bottom of the page is "Prop Calc", another neat program for propeller calculations. The only issue with Prop Calc is that they don't have a lot of data for commonly used propellers (I mean the APC TE series).

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
Hey Dorin, tell me they got jobs down there (down where?) and I'm on my way!

It is better than up there for sure you see we have Rep in power here. Come on down.  #^
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »
And in the final analysis, if the rpm are held constant, the plane should perform the same.

Assuming that the weight is the same.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:27 PM »
Hi guys,

Well it looks like I'm back in the testing game again.  I have been a bit busy the last few weeks giving my lovely wife the support she needed while she is recuperating from her total hip replacement surgery.  I finally got a hall pass today and was able to try my Trinigy SK 42-50 - 650kv motor for the first time on the Pathfinder.  As with my other motors, I used the same battery (4500 mha, 5S, 20C), the same prop (APC 12x6 electric pusher) and set the timer (6minutes & 34 sec) and rpm (9500) the same as with the other two motors tested so far.  I was very pleased with the results.  Lap times were 5.0 sec on 64 foot lines, total power used for the 6 minute and 34 sec flight was 3120 mha.  The motor was cool at the end of the flight and the battery was just slightly warm.  This larger motor ran cooler, flew the plane better and used less power that the smaller Trinigy 35-48 - 800kv motor that I tried last time.  The Turnigy 35-48 - 800 motor was quite hot at the end of the run.  My next test will be the Trinigy SK 35-38 - 900kv motor using a 4000 mha, 4S, 20C battery.  Right now, I would say that the Turnigy SK 42-50 - 650 motor is showing the most promise for use in my T-Rex.

Roger

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Yesterday, I tried my Turnigy SK 35-48 900kv motor coupled with a 4000 mah 4S 20C battery for the first time.  I must have missed something with the setup because I had difficullty setting the rpm on this motor.  I also had inconsistant lap times with this setup that I have not experienced with other motor combinations using the 5S battery.  The flight was really quite good but the motor used more mah than any other larger motors so far and the lap times started at about 4.7 sec (way to fast) and dropped to about 5.3 ( a bit to slow) at the end of the flight.  I am not going to consider the data on this flight as valid because I don't believe that the govenor was working properly on the ESC.  I need to go back to the drawing board and check my setup and try another test flight.  I think I am going to change my settings to fixed rpm on the ESC and try that.  One good thing about this combination is that the weight dropped from 72 oz to 64.7 oz.

Roger

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here