News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:08:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just a question...  (Read 580 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Just a question...
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
Hi, I know I tried to ask this recently when somebody mentions crashing and having the equipment go up in smoke.
Why isn't/or doesn't somebody come up with a switch or fuse that could disengage power on impact ?

Offline John Witt

• Captain
Re: Just a question...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »
Hi, I know I tried to ask this recently when somebody mentions crashing and having the equipment go up in smoke.
Why isn't/or doesn't somebody come up with a switch or fuse that could disengage power on impact ?

Jim,

Fuses appear not to be fast enough to do any good. I suspect this is because a fuse with enough metal to carry the normal current has sufficient thermal mass that the short-circuit temperature rise that would blow the fuse takes too long. As one of the corollarys to Murphy's Laws says, the IC blows to protect the fuse ~^

Now a switch might work if it had a actuating probe that stuck out the front, hmmm.. What to do about the prop??

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
Jim:
Our ESC's sense things like a prop strike as a over-load condition - that shuts down power to the motor.  That assumes that the ESC is not itself mangled in a crash!

In addition most (all?) of us are using safety arming/disarming plugs that can be used to disconnect power in the case of an on-ground emergency. 

They will shut off more easily than a glow engine...  8)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:15 AM »

I know I have had some problems--not with burning up components but with the internal guts pulled out.

I am thinking in my case it was because I had set up the CC Phoenix (now that isn't a good name in this regard!) ESC for an "insensitive" cutoff, which means the ESC didn't actually cut motor power if it detected a current overshoot. I did it because I was originally afraid that when the current shoots up in a vertical maneuver, I didn't want the ESC to turn off the motor (shades of my glow experience!). Then I tended to forget about that setting.

Anyway after a lot of collateral damage to the wires and front end of my Nobler, I have re-enabled a "Hard Cutoff" and a "Normal" sensitivity to overcurrent, and I hope this means that if the current really overshoots, the ESC will cutoff the power before the motor/prop eviscerate my plane!

At Sig, the prop did mow a little grass on takeoff with my Vector (but didn't strike hard earth!) and everything kept running, so I am not sure when the cutoff kicks in. I'm a little nervous to check it out!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »
Jim,

I have had at least 8 crashes with my electric Ringmasters (it is hard to keep track)!! Well one was my daughter and one was my granddaughter but I can claim the other six. In every case the ESC (both cheap Chinese and CC Phoenix 45) shut the motor off. These include inverted and upright pancakes as well as vertical lawn dart (figure 9) and some in between. Two batteries were destroyed in that they came loose and hit the rear of the motor mount. I now velcro batteries both lengthwise and "sidewise." All of these crashes have been on relatively soft turf.

The bottom line is that so far the ESCs have done the job of shutting down when overload is detected (so far!!!).

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here