News:

• May 04, 2024, 11:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JMP Test unit photo  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
JMP Test unit photo
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:46:54 PM »
I have had problems attaching photos in the past. I hope this comes through OK. If not, I apologize in advance for wasting your time and the BW.

This is a photo of my JMP timer program/test equipment. I took Will Moores great idea of a servo and battery on a clip board and shrunk it down to a more manageable size. It is a clear plastic box that an AT servo came in, with a compass arc picture from a sail boat book. I put some rubber on the bottom so it can rest easily on my wing during use.

I have used this unit from the 1st set up adjustments, and that was almost 100 flights ago. It has worked perfectly and I have no idea how we could set up our systems without it. Thanks for the help Will, well done!  :-)

PS: The two links/photos below are the same. I meant to only send one, I have no idea how the second one got there? ...... If this were an R/C forum, I would just blame it on "dumb thumbs".  ;-)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:59:27 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

Re: JMP Test unit photo
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »
Rudy,
for the photo to show directly in the browser, I think it needs to be a jpeg or png or a gif. Otherwise it shows up as a downloadable file.
But anyway your setup looks nice. Much nicer than mine.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info. You have always been very helpful on this forum. ..... All my photos go directly from my SD card into my HP Photosmart software. This allows me to do everything I want to do with them, send via email, catalog, print, edit, etc. ..... Except post them on this forum? I think they are in jpeg already, I just don't have an option in my SW to send them to my doc folder then to here? If there is a way, my limited brain cells can't find it.  HB~>

I have posted photos to other areas of this forum by emailing them to Mark, then he kindly posts them for me. Maybe I should email them to myself, then try to post them here?  I hope I am not trying Dean's patience with these photo experiments?

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 01:03:27 AM »
Last Photo try. My ECL P-40, maybe? :-)

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 12:28:51 AM »
Hi Rudy
First class workmanship on your servo box
Very curious to see exactly how you use
this to set up the timer?

Is it possible to
list instructions?

Perhaps  Something like this:

Push button twice , pointer
moves to position one, this means 15 seconds
run up time

thinking of getting back into electrics but setting up the
timers was near impossible on my last attempts

thanks in advance

Vincent

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »
Vincent,
The instructions come with the JMP-2 (and are also available online--just google jmp2).

This setup only works for the throttle setting, not the length of time, since the servo is plugged into the connector that would normally connect to the ESC. This isn't completely true, since when the time runs out, the servo will move to the off position, but this isn't what you are asking for I think.

You really do need something like this to keep track of throttle settings (and changes) with the JMP-2 timer. It is downright scary to actually have this hooked up to an ESC and a motor with spinning prop! Too many things (include a tach!) to hold and push and time--even before you add a whirling prop to the mix.

I wish there was an easier way to handle this (like a controller/display you could plug to the timer, but it would certainly cost more $$$ (just because I like electric doesn't mean unlimited funds in wallet!). However it would make field modifications somewhat easier!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 12:07:35 AM »
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the kind words. Allen is right. The unit is perfect for setting the speed (RPM), both at the initial setup, and making adjustments at the field. I make small adjustments depending on the wind. I fly in a park next to my home. It is surrounded by trees and homes at the beach, which makes for some bumpy flights. The wind is always turbulent above the 45 degree angle and an additional 1% of power(moving from 30% to 31% power) helps in the high stuff.! :-)

Here is the link for the JMP-2 instructions:

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/timerins.doc

The 1st few times you use the JMP-2 it may seem strange, but after a few sessions it gets very easy to use. And you only need to use two steps to change your speed at the field. It only takes me less than 2 min. to change the speed at the field.

As Allen said, it would be very difficult to set up one of our ECL systems using the motor instead of this test unit. After you set up the speeds using the test unit, then set up the idle period time, 1st run time, and total flight time by just using the timer unit alone, then you can use the test unit again to do a "Real Time" test run that will show you exactly what you will get when you fly. This is a very important test feature, and I use it every time I make any major changes in my set up.

CAUTION NOTE:
IMHO: We should be very careful when we talk to each other about the % of power settings we use with our timer units. They are only valid if we both have our speed controllers set up the same, and are using similar props, etc.
     For example: If your Castle Creations speed controller is setup in Heli Hi - End Point settings mode (and some other parameters set at etc. etc.) and you use an APC-E 12x6 prop and set your timer for 55% power, you will get good flights with 5.1 sec lap times. .... Now if you keep everything the same and ONLY change to Heli Hi Gov mode and go fly, you will NOT be a happy camper. You will have lap times of 3.8 seconds (62" eye to eye lines), you will use  4,400 mAh from your 4,200 mAh battery, your motor temps will be at 155 F (my normal flight temps are around 113 F).   HB~>   Please don't ask me how I know this?  n1

I now have around 100 flights on my ECL P-40. Many of these have been with some change to the, settings, props, RPMs, etc. etc. It's fun to experiment, and Will More and I like to trade new info., the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY. ;-)  I have kept a log of almost every flight with complete data on the flight, and battery charging, etc. (Yes, I know I have an AR problem!  n~) Many of the flights have been made with the excellent Eagle Tree data logging system, with RPM and Temp data options. If anyone is interested, as soon as my racing schedule lightens up I will post some of the test results to this forum.

ECL is a great way to fly CL, I hope you enjoy it. It is not for everyone, but it sure has been fun.  #^

Regards,

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:22:32 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here