News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JMP-2 Timer Availablilty  (Read 2590 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
JMP-2 Timer Availablilty
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
Just a note.
I have e-mailed Bob Selman (bsdmicro) about a replacement for a  JMP-2 timer that just arrived DOA. He told me (e-mail) that he just had JMP visit him and was told that they will restart up again in November. So I hope that the JMP-2 timers will be soon available.

In the mean time I am desperate for a timer and have ordered a Ztron, and hope I can get it to work with my CC Phoenix ESC (as I mention in the other Ztron thread). Somehow I don't mean to put down ZTron by that last statement--I would have prefered the JMP-2 because I was use to it, not anything bad about the Ztron!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: JMP-2 Timer Availablilty
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:28:47 PM »
Thanks Allan, this is great news! :-)

Pls. see my email to you.

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »
Alan,

Any update on the availablity of the JMP-2?

I Checked Bob's web site and it is not listed.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:29 AM »
I haven't asked again. I figure we will hear about it when it occurs. For now I use both a JMP-2 and a Zigras almost interchangeably. Both have their good points and I can live fine with either one----check out my mini-review in the review section.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »
Good news!

I just heard from Janell today. She was told by Jean-Marie Piednoir that the JMP timers will be in the USA soon. In French, soon could mean in a few days, or a few weeks? I will keep you posted when mine comes in.

As good as the JMP timers are, I hope some of the new ones that are gearing up for production, with needlevale like adj. etc., are available soon too.  #^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »
I think one of the most needed functions on the current JMP-2 and Zigras timers would be just that. The capability to easily(!!!) twiddle the rpm range a few % around the nominal setting--without going through the whole programming sequence. A simple pot whose entire range is limited to 2-4% of the full throttle range would do the trick here, and not be overly sensitive (since the max change would only be two of so clicks of the throttle range anyway).
The programming is a little painful because you usually have to make two settings with these timers--the initial throttle setting and then, the final throttle setting.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »
The easiest way is not to set rpm in timer at all. I set rpm directly in ESC by setting the number directly by prog box  VD~

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »
Igor,
Is that how the Jeti Spin ESC works? How then do you tell it to turn off (which is equivalent to rpm=0!)?
I am just not familiar with that ESC, which sounds really different than the Castle Creations ones.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
You have to set minimal impulse width from which ESC starts, then you have to set starting rpm (at that minimal pulse width) and end rpm at 2ms pulse width.

I use setting 1.5ms start point and both minimal and maximal rpm the same e.g 10 000rpm. My timer is adjusted to make 2ms and if I have to change rpm, I change only that upper number. It is very simple, just connect servoconnector to the box, switch on, press few buttons and connect back to timer. Beauty is that if you set proper gear ratio (1:1)  and proper number of poles you can set and read directly rpm.

The CC has fixed two such settings starting from 0 rpm and you can choose on of them while MGM esc has one function which checks actual motor and prop, and stores such setting itself.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »
Ok I think I "get it". With that ESC, you can actually input the throttle curve. I am use to the "old style" helicopter setups where that curve would be set in the transmitter. It takes some time to readjust the thinking part of the brain.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
GOOD NEWS! :-)

The JMP Timers are back in stock. This is very good news for all those who want to enter ECL. And now we can all have a spare backup timer for that contest day when "Murphy" jumps up to try and spoil our day. ;-)

Below is the contact info. for BSD Mircro. They are great people to do business with; friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt.

BSD Micro RC, LLC

9054 Gum Road

Carthage, Missouri 64836

Tel/Fax: 1-417-358-9521

www.BSDMicroRC.com

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
The easiest way is not to set rpm in timer at all. I set rpm directly in ESC by setting the number directly by prog box  VD~
Igor, I'm not sure I've understood the way you set the SPIN...Can you describe the pulse width settings that you are telling about?
Do you mean you set the JMP for Flight speed 1 (and 2) at the maximum (which is #2 ms) and for the rest of the Jeti box settings?
Thanks, Thierry

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:09:38 AM »
Hi Thierry, the short answer is YES.

I do not use JMP timer, I use my own, but does not matter, also that my timer is set to make 1ms for stopped motor, 2ms for full power and that full power in Spin ESC is programmed to be 0 rpm from 1ms to 1.5ms and then say 10000 from 1ms to 2 ms (and above also). You see all numbers directly on display when you connect prog box to ESC.

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »
Hi Friends, just to keep you informed about JPM:
Today I had a contact with Jean-Marie, he actually is in the States where he plans to establish. He retired from JMP Solutions. I do not know if he will produce more Timers, for the moment beeing, he is not allowed to develop any commercial businesss in the US. He says that some units are still available at BSD.
So Guys, be very carefull as not to plug your JMP's the wrong way!!!
Rgds

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »
Just ordered 2. One thing I like about the JMP-2 is that it is nice and flat and fits nicely on a profile plane--especially a 1/2 A (hint hint!). The Ztron also has some neat features, but the ESC plugs in at right angles to the PCB, which makes it a bit more difficult to mount of a profile. However I really like some aspect of the Ztron over the JMP-2---basically the DIP switch is a little easier to use.
I am curious about the Kaz Minato Timer that Randy is carrying, but I was really confused by the instruction sheet I looked at on how to use it. Between that and the cost I was waiting . Lets have a review of the timer!
 Here is a link to that instruction sheet on Randy's vendor  forum.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=5484.0

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 02:57:50 AM »
Sorry for bumping this up but it seemed a better option than starting another topic..

Does anyone know of a UK supplier for the JMP? I've no problem with ordering it from the US if I have to but would prefer to use a local (UK) supplier if possible.

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »
Hi John,

I am not able to help you with a UK supplier for the excellent JMP timer, but I can give you a reference for the US supplier who I think ships overseas:

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php

They are great people to deal with and, as of a few weeks ago, they had some JMP timers in stock.

Bob (owner of BSD) sent me an email last mo. RE the JMP timers. He stated that he has some in stock and that Jean-Marie will be making more of them, in small batches as needed. This was good news. :-)

Alan

RE: your comments on the Kaz timer's instructions. There are two sets of instructions out there. One is marginal (my guess is this is the one you have seen?) and the other is excellet. It has clear color drawings and the instructions are long, clear, and detailed. I think they have been posted somewhere, if not I can try to post them here. It is a very nice timer and I like the feature that allows me to change the power settings at the field in very accurate (digital readout) steps, with confirmation of the final setting before flying.

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »
Thanks Rudy,
 I contacted BSDMICRO and got a very quick response. Timer ordered. My 1st CL purchase for over 30 years :o

Probably the start of a very long list.....

Another newbie question. Do I need an ESC with BEC to use with the JML?

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:39 PM »
John,

I'm glad you made your 1st order and got started back into CL. I think you will really like ECL flying. :-)

You don't have to worry about the BEC. All the ESCs in our small CL size have the BEC included. But yes, you need one. If for some reason you don't have one, then a very small 4.8V batt will supply the power to the timer for a long time. ... Dean may have someting to say about this, but if you buy a CC or Jeti ESC in our sizes you will have the BEC included.

There are several ECL systems that will work well. I happen to use the most tested system out there (my guess is a combined well over 1,000+ flights on it by several of us).

You can see my complete setup, including ESC and Timer settings here on Roberts excellent Forum:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=8625.0

This ECL setup will work great in a Brodak ARF/ARC P-40 like mine or in a Cardinal, or my Extra 300L, or any plane in this size and weight. If your takeoff weight is over 65 oz then you may want to try a larger system.

We are all waiting to hear the details of Igor's World Championship 2nd place ECL plane. You may want to copy his setup, but I think some of his stuff is custom made by him. Igor is a good example of High IQ + Skill = World Class Success! :-)

We are all very proud of Igor's success, proving the viability of ECL at the World Class level!!!!!
Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here