News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:08:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jim Ehlen's Quiet Riot  (Read 1341 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Jim Ehlen's Quiet Riot
« on: October 08, 2006, 06:30:25 PM »
Here's a pic of Jim's new electric stunter I got in August.  We got to fly it a couple times in the evening when the wind started to die down.  It is a great first effort.

The wing is a cut down Truebeam Giles wing, with some extra lightening holes.  Fuse is a builtup balsa profile.  Power is an AXI2826-12, a Castle controller, a Zig timer, and 3700 mah LiPoly's.

Due to the fact that Jim wasn't willing to pony up $1000 for batteries and timers and we only got out the one evening, we got one flight on each battery.  I didn't get the details, but two of them were really good, holding power right through the end of the pattern for a 5.5 min. flight.  The other was a few months older and only lasted about 4 min., even though it is nominally the same capacity.

The plane flys quite nicely with no flaps.  Weight is about 45 oz.  It is a bit lower aspect ratio than the stock wing, but the less area really doesn't hurt the turn much.  Obviously, you can push it hard enough to really load the motor.  It is kind of neat to hear the magnets humming in tight turns.  The lower aspect wing seems to be a little more tolerant to bumping and thumping from wind gusts.

Jim makes a nifty electric motor mount that holds the AXI in place and bolts up to LA 40 mounts.  Very handy for quick change overs or trying electric in an existing airframe.
phil Cartier

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Jim Ehlen's Quiet Riot
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:45:05 PM »
Cool!
What are you using for a timer?
I hope you're not running the batteries down to the cutoff on the speed controller.
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:46:47 PM »
OOOPs
I just read Zigras timer. Even so, the weak battery set probably got that way by running it down to 3.0 per cell, regularly.
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 11:21:08 AM »
No Dean, according to Jim the weak battery was weak from the get go.  Given the rapid rate of battery development over the last couple years it doesn't surprise me at all that some have better capacity/current delivery than others.  Some(*Sony*) can even deliver all their power in just a few seconds, in a laptop computer.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here