News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there really a free lunch?  (Read 577 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Is there really a free lunch?
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
This a question about electric vs ic. I'm wondering if eletric vs Ic really is clean or just that the bad side is all hidden so we do not see what detrimental effects will be. I'm sure that the burning of gas creates heat but doesn't electric also create heat during runtime as well as charging. If the apparent heat is over a much longer period of time than the amout of heat is hidden.I'm not saying electric is not better environmentally I just curious how much better it is or not. With the apparent shortages of nitro It may be that electric is the only way.

Alan Hahn

Re: Is there really a free lunch?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
Jim,
On the nitro question, I'm sure it will be back before all glow fliers have converted to electric!

Let's face it, we have to charge up our batteries, so some powerplant has to supply the energy. On the plus side, I have heard it is cheaper for electric vehicles to charge batteries compared to using gasoline. I think the issue is that the efficiency of electric power creation, battery charging, and electric motor conversion back to mechanical power still beats burning oil. But I don't have numbers.

All that being said, I think the attraction for electric power doesn't have anything to do with our poor planet earth. I think the major attraction is that the flying is quiet, easy (push the button and go--no balky glow plugs or igniters...),  and economically is approaching (if not already there) the intro cost of glow power (add up everything you buy to run a glow engine). Plus, at the end of the day, I pick up my ENobler and stick it in the back of my 16mpg Explorer--no cleaning necessary. It just is easier to fly these things at the field.

I was amused when the discussion on RCGROUPs moved into what generator was best to take to the field to recharge the battery. A noisy 2 cycle electric generator (ignoring the cost!) running while someone is flying with a silent electric motor was somehow too incongruous to mention! Oh the humanity! n~

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:41 AM »
For me the percieved benefit of electric is all about being able to get off work, drag the plane, lines and stooge out of the car. One trip, fly four flights, put it back in the car and go home to eat dinner. No dragging flight box, starter, fuel, towels, ignitor battery, makint two trips, then having to clean up for 15 minutes. In order to get practice in after work is my shot, so saving a trip or two t o and from the car, and no cleanup is the key. Not to mention for once in my life I can be on the leading edge, wo hoo, gold stars for mark,, lol,,
had never considered the enviromental impact, unless you count noise? I think besides that the enviromental issues are more related to harmfull gasses releases than heat arent they?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »
I realize that buring fossile fuel is a large part  of the equation. But to charge the battery where is that energy coming from?
Solar,oil, coal .It's an uncounted variable. Then again what are the origins of our batteries surely there are chemicalls there to. I'm just curious how clean our clean energy is ?

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
The electric power can come from many sources, as you say, coal, water, wind, geothermal. The benefit in electricity is that it is much more efficient in conversion from the original power source to the end use. Just think of how much excess heat is generated in a glow motor versus an electric, the extra heat is inefficiency. Gas, oil, diesel, is much less efficient in it's end use and usually more costly to refine. Now in glow fuel you don't have a lot of refined product, alcohol plus castor oil (the synthetic oil is a refined product and would take more energy to produce) but there is still power required to produce the product. No, there is no free lunch, all of this takes power from somewhere and that usually starts with the sun as a source for plants (fossil fuels) or weather.

All that being said the electrics are cleaner in operation, less noisy, more predictable, and are not as affected by temp and humidity like a glow motor. Set and forget!!! There are upsides to each as well as a downside for each. I find the electrics to be fun and a new challenge and that is what drives me.
Bob Frogner

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here