News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:13:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: If Heat is the Enemy is Vibration it's undercover Assassin??  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
In a recent post it was pointed out that Heat is our main enemy. One question that I have not seen discussed is how Vibration impacts our ECL components. Since we don't have the high vibration of the IC engine it seems we have almost forgotten about it in ECL. When setting up my new ship I constructed a slip in battery pouch that holds the A123 battery snuggly in the fuse with a Velcro strap to keep it in place. There is no foam padding or other vibration isolation.

Question is with the very low level of vibration in the ECL ships is there an impact on battery life and should we be looking to add isolation?

Best,        Dennis

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
Re: If Heat is the Enemy is Vibration it's undercover Assassin??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »
Ummmm, interesting question, while I have never heard or seen a battery that has suffered from excess vibration I do suppose it is possible. Perhaps the worst thing I can imagine is the leads coming loose or a spot weld breaking. E-motors are for the most part very smooth in there operation the  only other things I can think of that would cause vibration is a loose motor mount or an out of balance prop. These items would not only affect the battery but the rest of the airplane as well.

Scott
(leaving for the NATS around midnight tonight) 
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:18:09 PM »
In a recent post it was pointed out that Heat is our main enemy. One question that I have not seen discussed is how Vibration impacts our ECL components. Since we don't have the high vibration of the IC engine it seems we have almost forgotten about it in ECL. When setting up my new ship I constructed a slip in battery pouch that holds the A123 battery snuggly in the fuse with a Velcro strap to keep it in place. There is no foam padding or other vibration isolation.

Question is with the very low level of vibration in the ECL ships is there an impact on battery life and should we be looking to add isolation?

Best,        Dennis

I think vibration still exists, albeit at much lower and more managable levels.  As you noted vibration and electronics are a bad mix!

I use a set of gussets and braces faced with few well placed strips of 1/8" foam rubber around the batteries with velcor straps.  I think that when I cinch up my velcro straps I am also compressing the foam a little - keeping things from rattling around, but if/when the batteries shift they only touch the foam faced supports.

BTW I did not mean to imply that heat was the biggest enemy - but it still exists as a challenge for a set-up like I used. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Kim Doherty

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:38:58 PM »
Dennis,

I think if you are experiencing a perceptible vibration it is comming from an external source such as the prop and not from the motor. My plane ran very smoothly. The ESC was velcroed to its mounting plate and the battery was held very securely in the verticle plane by velco straps and laterally by three formers. I do not think you need to spend any significant time worrying about vibration.

The attached pictures show details of the nose where the ESC, battery and motor were mounted. The ESC is facing down underneath the battery.

Kim

Advertise Here
Tags: Battery 

Advertise Here