blank
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:04:50 PM by Motorman »

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: iCharger 306B and Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
If you parallel charge, which is what I think that you want to do? then the most that you could charge 4 batteries of a 4s 2500 with that charger(I have one) would be at 3C for 4 at the same time or 6c for 2 at a time at full power. You do have a problem though before you even start. Your charger is capable of putting out 30 amps 1000 watts but that's on 24 volts. It will only put out about 18-20 amps on 12v on a 4s charge and your input wires will get quite hot!!! These chargers are much happier on 24V if you are going to crank them up. What batteries are you talking about here?
AMA 98010

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »
I have that charger and I charge 6 5S 2700 MAH batteries at the same time on 24 volts all the time. But what do I know.
AMA 12366

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:29 AM »
I charge 8x 4s 4000mah batteries at once with my iCharger 306B on 12 volts. (And 30 amps)
However, my power supply is 240 volts, I don't know if that makes a difference (compared to 110 volts) ....probably does.  ;D
Bandolero

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:08:24 AM »
So, the 306B won't handle the job even if I double up on the power supply with a 24v 47amp unit?

What about the PowerLab 8 V2.

The batteries are Hyperian CX G3 4S 2500mah 25C. Says on the box you can charge at 6C. I probably won't charge that fast but I want a system that won't strain to do it.

Thanks,
MM
Just so you know, nobody is going that fast and you don't have to. The 306b is more than most of us need. I charge six 4s 2700's at a time on my 306b from storage mode to full charge in around 20 minute's. That comes out to about 2c per battery. Most of us don't need faster. There are a lot of us using that charger on 24volts and we are very satisfied with it.
As Far as the PL8 goes, I have one of those too Yes its faster if you crank it up but you would see any earthshaking differences maybe 2-3 minutes faster I charge my six 4s 3700's up from storage mode in the same 20 minutes on that one. so in 20 min my son and I both have six batteries each to go fly with.

Russel, Yes your 240 makes a difference and I wish we had 240 standard in the USA. 110-120 holds us back a lot. Your charger would still be happier and run cooler on 24v.
AMA 98010

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
I'll try my best here.
Some server power supplies' ,but not all, will shut down if the load is applied after they are turned on, so just get in the habit of having the charger plugged in to the PS first and you never even have to deal with that.
Just add the batteries together as though they are on !0 amps becomes 1C if you have 4 2500  in parallel, 20 amps 2C etc.
Whether you use a paraboard or a parallel cable the charger see's it as one large 4 cell battery in your case. DO NOT TRY TO CHARGE BATTERIES THAT ARE NOT IN SIMILAR DISCGARGE RATE TOGETHER!!! INOTHER WORDS DO NOT CHARGE A BATTERY THAT YOU FLEW FOR ONE MINUTE WITH A BATTERY THAT YOU FLEW FOR 5!!!!! I usually only parallel charge from storage mode.
AMA 98010

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »
No, there is a storage mode that you use on the charger.

Also, the default setting for automatically shutting down to prevent overcharging is about 5000mah.
If you parallel charge, it will keep shutting down when it gets to 5000.
There is a setting where you can turn that feature off.
If you didn't get a manual with the charger, you can download one off the net.
Bandolero

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
You can storage charge or discharge as long as they are charged or discharged to similar levels. I will regularly put my unflown charged batteries on at the same time to discharge. then I will put my flown batteries on usually one at a time to bring to storage levels. When I am ready to go flying all my batteries are in storage mode . I put them all on and crank it up.
AMA 98010

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »

I would think if trying to storage charge four 4S packs wouldn't the voltage would be 1/4 of what you want on each pack because, the charger sees it as one cell?

On the other point of charging packs with similar levels. If you're "balance" charging 4 packs wouldn't the charger shut down the one that reaches full charge first just like it does for individual cells when charging one pack at a time?

You ask some good questions. Because the packs are in parallel the charger just sees it as one big battery. Lots of this will make more sense once you charge a few packs up. The cells also balance themselves with each other on the board so one doesn't finish before the next. You will find all the cells end up extremely close if you were to measure them. The only exception might be if you have a cell that fails(another story)but you will know it. If you want to chat Sat afternoon or sometime Sunday let me know. I think you are on the right track. You will find this charger to be plenty fast even at 3c.
AMA 98010

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Advertise Here
Tags: