News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:05:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IC to "E" With a new look! Lots of New Photos!  (Read 25035 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: IC to "E" With a new look!
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Well Mark,

How right you were.

I drew the thing out a half a dozen times. Didn't have the actual battery but had accurate measurements.

Oops! Now I have the battery and it did not fit as I intended or as I drew it on my plans. I was hoping for a battery "sit" at 45 degrees over the LE and no matter how many times I tried it, I couldn't get the thing to sit that way. I had no plan "B" but I made one up.

Formers? Who needs formers. n~

Now the battery sits low in the bilge with 50% of it behind the LE.

Also looks like I'll have room for other on-board items.

Lesson to be learned, have ALL the components "before" you design the model. Next Time.

It is amazing how some modelers can keep the hatch area so nice and neat during construction.

I didn't build mine in during construction, with the retro Mig-3 or this retro no name, I cut it in afterwards. Probably creating more work for myself I'm sure.

My next electric, which I'll build from scratch, will most likely have the hatch area designed in during the construction. I also expect to have an area with ample room close to the LE.

And I will deffinately have each and every component before I do the final draft of the plans.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 07:52:52 AM »
The framing of the new fuselage and the conversion from IC to electric is completed.

I'm actually starting the finish, so I moved the Thread to "Paint and Finishing."

Charles 
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
Micro-ballons filling in the gap on the hatch.

Tight but not ridiculous. 

Wax paper as a fence.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
Well, here's the under side of the hatch for that one interested individual.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Tabs prevent left and right movement. Skewers cut to size fit under the front wood of the nose. I love skewers.

Couple of magnets, eventually, will be added in the rear and the rear will be pinned, somehow..

I'll remove at least a half or a gram from the underside eventually.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 10:53:22 PM »
Nicely done!

Rare earth magnets work well,  Hobby City also sells a spring latch that would do the deed for ya...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2014, 06:22:25 AM »
Nicely done!

Rare earth magnets work well,  Hobby City also sells a spring latch that would do the deed for ya...

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have my magnets any day now. Can't really fine shape that area unless the hatch is held in place. I will check out Hobby City's spring latch.

Nothing wrong with suspenders and a belt.

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
Got my magnets today. #^

I'll have a photo as soon as my camera battery is charged.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2014, 07:38:38 PM »
While I was waiting on information to tackle the magnet thing, I decided to fit the elevator.

Interesting. Photos of Builds, mine anyway, don't tell the whole story.

Sometimes photos can be misleading. In that, they can make tasks look a great deal less taxing than they really are.

Well, I can tell you this, I work hard at everything I do. I'll admit it, and little comes easy.

Removing/replacing, sometimes a dozen times to get something right.

Sometimes all wrong, "do it again."

Frustration? I feel that sometimes.

Eventually it comes together.

"Never give up, never surrender!" Name the movie.

Elevator update. Fitted but not permanately in place.

I still have to drill the two brass keepers attached to the control horn wire. They will get pinned with a skewer. Love them skewers.

Adjustible elevator horn from Tom Morris.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
Oh..........my gosh!

I just got my spinner. I'm so excited I almost peed my pants.  #^

I couldn't get the box opened fast enough.

I'll get a photo.

Oh........my gosh!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2014, 02:18:22 AM »
Couldn't sleep thinking about my spinner.

Oh........my gosh, the thing is anodised red!

What was I thinking? A red spinner, that limits color schemes.   ;D

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2014, 05:11:55 AM »
Hi Charles:

The color of the spinner is not a problem; simply paint it the color you desire. The attached photo depicts my 2012 Crossfire Extreme fitted with an E-Flite 1 3/4-inch diameter spinner. It came through in natural aluminum color. I scuffed up the surface with some #320 grit sandpaper, primed it with an etching primer (in this case, ACID #8 by U-Pol), painted it white to match the plane and give it the same base color on which to apply the trim color (in this case, red), applied the trim color and then sealed it with a clear top coat. Simple. I've been painting spinners in this manner (using various products) for about 40 years... 

Bob Hunt

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
Bob,

What a surprise.

Thanks for that photo of your great design, the Crossfire. Crossfire EX!

You know I'm not one to fratenize, that's for sure, but I gotta tell ya, I love your Crossfire design. Every time I see a photo of that design, I start thinking about stunt. Not enough to build a Crossfire yet, but if I migrate to that kind of equipment, it will be your Crossfire for sure!
Thanks for the reply and that nice photo.

Charles.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »
Well, with the spinner now in hand, I should say fitted to the model, I finished the fine tuning around the nose area.

Last bit of silk on the nose and a portion of the hatch.

Silk is almost all done.

One small other area left to silk, two actually, the gear rails.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »
Those areas of silk at the nose have been trimmed and given a few more coats of clear.

Gear rails were sanded flush. Black line is just a black line, not a space. The rail has been silked. Primed & sanded and you won't even see them.

Oh........my gosh!

My gear wire is chubby with Robart struts. Held in place by gravity just for a quick fit.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »
Chubby Robert struts, no wheels.

Ordered wheels from Hobby King. Their E-mail said it could be 45 days before delivery.

Good thing I build slow.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
That spinner is simply beautiful!  Love the build Charles, keep the posts coming. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
If it is finished and ready to fly just stick any 2-1/2" wheel on it and fly
Joe Daly

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 06:40:50 PM »
Chubby Robert struts, no wheels.

Ordered wheels from Hobby King. Their E-mail said it could be 45 days before delivery.

Good thing I build slow.
you didnt order them from the US warehouse I take it?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
you didnt order them from the US warehouse I take it?

Mark,

I thought I had because I "checked" USA Warehouse, or location. One or the other.

I purched collets once from them and wheels, took only two weeks for that.

Mark,

You did some really nice woodwork on your Impact. Nice.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:04:18 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
That spinner is simply beautiful!  Love the build Charles, keep the posts coming. H^^

Glenn,

Hey! Hey!

Yes, I ordered the spinner red for a reason. It's all planned out.  ;D

I'll have primer on the thing this weekend.

I have to be careful. I weighed it with all the goodies. 54 onces it came in at. And that's no lie. 54 onces exactly.

That's with the motor, battery, spinner, collet, wire gear with struts, wheels and all control surfaces. No prop or tail wheel. No gear doors either. No primer no paint no clear.

52" in span powered by a Cobra 2820/14.

Glenn, thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
While I was waiting for my clear to arrive for the Mig-3, I decided to do some "fine tuning" on the "ARGO."

That model isn't all that far from paint.

For those that don't know, The ARGO started out as The New American. A take off of the All American. Power was to be an OS LA .46.

However, I changed the model over to the big "E," as per this Thread.

Today, I just added a bit of micro-balloons to the rudder area. OH! I also glued the rudder in place. It was originally designed for a removable rudder.

I pulled two canopies for the Mig-3. Thought I'd use the left over and add a clear canopy to the ARGO. Get this. I carefully removed the balsa canopy and it weighed much less than the clear one.

Sooooooooo, I put the balsa one back on. Good thing I removed it carefully.

I actually added this small radius of fill on the rudder because of the color scheme. There was an tight edge before. Also, I did away with that red spinner for an aluminum one that will get painted.

Possibly a few more future photo updates.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2015, 12:00:51 PM »
Another task completed.

That's not gray primer sprayed over the micro-balloons, it's putty applied with a finger.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
Got a bit more done today between walking the dog and getting my mail. Closed up that vent intake for a cleaner look.

I'm waiting on magnets from Tom Morris.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
Did some work on the ARGO tonight.

More putty applied with my finger.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 02:08:49 AM »
Seeing I had to walk the wife's dog at 3:00 this morning, I decided to do a bit on the ARGO.

Soldered the tail wheel in place. Put a washer on both sides.

Snip the end with a dremel makes it clean and neat. Could polish the solder? Nah!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »
Took this second shot this morning.

Cute little tire. Real rubber with an aluminum hub.

I could polish that hub to look like chrome. Nah!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
IC to "E" With a new look! Lots of new Photos!
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Thought I'd Post as I progressed. Trying today to catch up on the work which has to be done on the ARGO.

I got those Tom Morris magnets in the mail yesterday and put them to good use. I have no idea how many magnets other modelers use, or if they even use any, but I use at least four. Two on two. Or each magnet against another magnet.

Probably overkill.

I wouldn't have the confidence to use a magnet up against a screw head.

Although I do remember someone telling me they did it this way for the screw adjustment.

I struggle with my adjustment because there isn't any.  n~

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:47:48 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: IC to "E" With a new look! Lots of New Photos!
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »
I bounced around between different tasks. Photos are pretty much self explanatory.

"Well, possibly not."

A line from the movie Transporter.

Had to shave a tad of off the flap ends so they would work freely. Speaking of shaving, I removed 3/4" off the trailing edge of the elevator. Thing was too wide to begin with. Looks better now and less weight.

Applied a bit of "Deft Brushing Lacquer" on the exposed balsa, flap ends and the elevator TE.

I recommend products I use and have experience with.  ;D

Gotta get some hinges in those flaps. That will be next.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »
I just love the smell of fresh Epoxy in the mornings.

Wax paper tucked in so the hatch doesn't get glued, only the balsa base for the two Tom Morris magnets gets glued.

Scoop area scratched up a bit.

Oiled the hinge pins AND 90 degreed them. If you used these KLETT hinges you know what I'm talking about.

I'll use my old stash before I use the hinges I purchased from Bob Reeves. Nice of Bob to give up those great KLETT hinges

Thank you Bob.  H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »
Shifted gears a bit and went to town on the elevator. Remember I trimmed .75" off of it.

Two coats of the DEFT and I hit the edge with primer. Did all this while the flap hinges were baking in Epoxy. One side only. I do a side at a time.

I once did all my hinges with 5 minute Epoxy, but I'm older now and I can relax using the longer 20 minute cure. You would have to be quick with the 5 minute Epoxy. You lose a minute or better just mixing.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2015, 04:34:32 PM »
Is there anyone else that hates doing hinges besides me?

I'd rather build a wing. And I really hate building wings.

Tonights progress.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2015, 06:50:25 AM »
Early start on the ARGO this morning.

A bit of a snag. Not something that requires setting your hair on fire, but an issue that needs to be addressed and fixed. Or not depending on how fussy one may be?

I didn't notice the slight shift in the flap when it was finally placed in the TE of the wing and Epoxied.

A 1/16 of an inch gap that should be 1/32.  Soooooooo, I did the fix. As I'm typing this, the Epoxy on the hinges of my flap is curing.

Sure, I could have used heat on four hinges and probably slid the flap that 1/32". Probably.

There will be no other form of glue except Epoxy, just in case I have to repair or remove the flaps with heat. Same for the elevator.

Tad of finger applied putty that will be addressed a bit later. Now onto the elevator hinges.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
Moving right along as they say.

Flaps Epoxied in place, done!!

Hinges Epoxied onto the Elevator side. I usually do the stab first.

I'll get that elevator on in a short while.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »
I always pin the tip hinge.

Did it with all my R/C pattern ships also. Actually pinned every other one on them.

A bit of extra work but I think it's worth it.

Just want to be sure.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »
I rather dislike hinging too.  The whole works is a pain.  I am glad it is usually a "do the job and done" process that I don't have to come back to later.

I prefer stitching my hinges, but that looks bad on larger models. 

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2015, 12:07:10 PM »
I rather dislike hinging too.  The whole works is a pain.  I am glad it is usually a "do the job and done" process that I don't have to come back to later.

I prefer stitching my hinges, but that looks bad on larger models.  

Phil

Phil,

I've seen really great looking stitching on models. Photos Posted in this Forum.

Nothing wrong with stiching!

Thanks for the reply.

Here's this mornings efforts.

Threw on a dust coat of white primer, just enough to cover. Added 68 grams. Much of which will be removed.

Looks nice white.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »
ATTENTION! CREW, ATTENTION CREW!

"Klingon Cloaking Mode" is now in effect.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2015, 08:51:14 AM »
I rebooted this Thread on October 16, 2015.

Six days ago. Easy math.

475 hits on this Thread since the 16 th. and only one reply.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »
Just purchased two of the Rust-o-leum aerosol cans for the ARGO. Same color just in case I need the second can.

Yup! I believe Rust-o-leum may be a "step up' from my normal Krylon brand.

Even with my extensive background finishing models with automobile base colors and clear coats, I'm electing to move forward and STILL use rattle cans!

I must be crazy.

However, many modelers have had great results using only aerosol cans on their models.

They made a beliver out of me.

Here's my last two models finished exclusively with aerosol cans.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2015, 04:16:55 AM »
Yup, had to walk my wife's dog, Indy, 5:30 this morning. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anyway, thought I'd bring this Thread up to date.

I never used the Rust-o-leum. Couldn't bring myself to it because of all the success I had with Krylon.

Krylon dries quick and sticks well, plus I paint OUTSIDE! So I need a fast dry paint that sands well with 600 or 1000.

I finally finished the ARGO! "IC to E," then back to "IC" again. WHAT! Bet that's never been done before.

The completed ARGO, tank and all weighs the same as my Pathfinder ARF at 55 onces, and change. The Pathfinder is a tad larger model. I hope the ARGO performs fairly well, time will tell. Balances right on the money without adding any weight.

I won't be able to fly the ARGO until I brake in the NIB engine. OS LA .46.

I also have to find a non grass area for the flights or a better field than the one we use.

Currently in the makings is the ARGO II.

I'm sure I can build the ARGO II, much lighter.

The ARGO II will look just about the same in appearance but will have some structual changes.

A different airfoil and possibly a sheeted built up wing for starters. I'm looking in to that.

Well, The ARGO story comes to an end, finally. Here's the finished product of my efforts.

I hope the ARGO is well recieved.

Charles.

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
Charles

What a great thread.  I really enjoyed it.  However, I'm confused.  You went from IC to E and back to IC, why?  The plane and paint scheme look great.  What kind of clear do you put over the Krylon?  I believe Krylon isn't fuel proof while Rustoleum is.  What material did you use to cover the wing and tail?

Peter Mick
AMA 9581

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »
Charles

What a great thread.  I really enjoyed it.  However, I'm confused.  You went from IC to E and back to IC, why?  The plane and paint scheme look great.  What kind of clear do you put over the Krylon?  I believe Krylon isn't fuel proof while Rustoleum is.  What material did you use to cover the wing and tail?

Peter Mick
AMA 9581

Peter,

Clever guy. You're the only one who noticed that change back to IC. Kudos for that.

Everything I have in modeling, past and present, has been IC. Well, except when I did rubber bands as a kid.  LL~

I have nothing against anyone who does the big "E," but at this time it's not for me.

I almost started to design a scheme for the ARGO when the "E" motor was still in place. Handling it after so long is what changed my mind.

So, I just went ahead and made the changes.

There will be an ARGO II.

I use Krylon. So far on three models and clear with 2K Spray Max.

The 2K Spray Max is the protection, not what is under it.

Thanks for the king reply.

Charles

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2015, 09:25:53 AM »
Hi Charles,

I'm surprised I am the only one who noticed.  I'm still curious about what material you used on the wing and tail. 

Why do you favor Krylon over Rustoleum?  You mentioned drying time, is there any other reason?  I've used Rustoleum on a number of planes with good luck and never needed to put on added weight with a coat of clear.  What is 2K Clear Max.  Does it come in a spray can and where do you get it?

Pete

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
Hi Charles,

I'm surprised I am the only one who noticed.  I'm still curious about what material you used on the wing and tail. 

Why do you favor Krylon over Rustoleum?  You mentioned drying time, is there any other reason?  I've used Rustoleum on a number of planes with good luck and never needed to put on added weight with a coat of clear.  What is 2K Clear Max.  Does it come in a spray can and where do you get it?

Pete

Pete,

I think the word is out now on the "IC to "E" back to "IC."  LL~

The tail surface and wing are silk covered. There's a Thread, the "New American." It's basically the build thread for what became the ARGO.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,25559.0.html

I go back a long ways with Krylon. Sign guys used Krylon for their paper signs, as I did.

I almost used Rust-o-leum on the ARGO but couldn't bring myself to it.

"Never change a winning game." Bill Tildon, 1927.

I know there's a weight gain with added clear, but I really don't care. I'll never enter a stunt contest where it would make any difference.

And the kind of flying I do, it really doesn't matter.  LL~

I like scale. Scale guys always build heavy, so I'll fit right in.

Thanks for the kind reply.

Charles

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2015, 02:04:50 PM »
Charles

In addition to being a great builder you are also a very good lyricist.  I enjoyed your version of Waltzing Matilda in the New American thread.

Pete

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
Charles

In addition to being a great builder you are also a very good lyricist.  I enjoyed your version of Waltzing Matilda in the New American thread.

Pete

Pete,

Another good observation. At least you took a look.  LL~

Charles

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2016, 06:56:57 PM »
Wow! What a story of IC to E and back, yet the plane is beautiful in its appearance and finish.  H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »
Wow! What a story of IC to E and back, yet the plane is beautiful in its appearance and finish.  H^^

CL-flyer,

Thank you for the kind words. If you have the interest, there's more photos and comments at this thread. Maybe, links never work right.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/550/

BTW. I'm getting ready to paint the ARGO 2, a knockoff of the ARGO.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here