News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I THINK WE GOT IT ELEC TRAINER  (Read 1306 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I THINK WE GOT IT ELEC TRAINER
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:59:15 AM »
          This project was meant to start January 1st but the field test were not good. The order was to make a control line model plane that could be used as an electric trainer for groups of kids and offered at a low price. The idea was to make this plane safe enough that the Boy Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs and Church groups would not be afraid to teach kids to fly control line models. The basic idea had been kicking around for about a year before we really got started on it.
          By September we had our first test plane with batteries on board; it flew but the recharge time was way to long and the cost was to high. Our second test plane also flew but now the battery was strapped to the pilot and he had speed control. The battery on the pilot proved to be the best idea as it allowed several pilots to fly, one right after another. Our next problem was plane performance, as a trainer the second was OK. But it was not as good as a COX PT-19 so it was not good enough.
         We tried several profiles but each had problems. While they were easier to build and cheaper they did not work out. At last we took one of our new gas powered kits, Stunt Trainer, and converted it to electric. This has the large wing, low wing loading, and good looks. A folding prop was added for safty. The plane performs better than hoped for, it can be made to do some basic stunts.
         We hope to have this one out in a kit next month with some minor alterations. Stats: ws 21", area 94.5 sq. in. with the brush type motor the cost for the kit, pre-wired, with speed control handle, motor, prop and hardware will be in the $45.00 to $55.00 range. Now we need to make this model simple enough that a beginer can assemble it.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
Re: I THINK WE GOT IT ELEC TRAINER
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
Larry,
   Congrats on the successful trainer!! The price looks very attractive to me. Can you tell us a little more about the flight time? Does it vary with the battery used at the handle? If the power is down the lines, does the kit include the prewired and wrapped lines? How durable do you think the model will be if crashed?

Keep up the good work. This is what the hobby needs, plug and play systems.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 12:38:39 PM »
 The battery is large and requires the use of a fanny pack to hold it strapped to the pilots waist. Flight time is in hours, so 10 to 15 new pilots can fly without recharging. Think of the standard model started battery for power. The power is down the lines and the lines will be almost completely hooked up. They will require a crimp fitting to conect the motor to the control lines and pre-adjust the line length. With speed control the pilot decides how long and how fast they want to fly.
 We believe the model to be very strong and it is made out of easy to repair balsa. Our test model is using 1/8" sides, wing, and tail with 1/16" sheet top and bottom but the kit may get 3/32" sides to make construction easier. I liked the Profile models but mounting the landing gear and motor became hard to do. Plus kids like full bodied models. We will be adding a pilot and windshield in the finished kit.
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
Out of curiosity what size prop does it use? I only ask because Jim Renkar's "Its only a hobby" 1/2 A Contest will let me use electric, but have to use 6" prop or less. That would require a high rev'r.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:46:36 PM »
I AM NOT AWARE OF THE CONTEST THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT THIS APPEARS TO BE A 6-3 PROP. Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »
Larry,
This is an end of the year 1/2 A contest (September), just for fun, that Jim holds just outside the Chicago area.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here