News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I guess we are to blame for the new pull test rules!  (Read 1473 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
I guess we are to blame for the new pull test rules!
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »
I know I'll regret this post, but I am certainly getting tired of all the whining our glow compatriots are making about the new pull test. What really galls me is that in some of their minds, we (electric fliers) are to blame for this conundrum!

Have CL people all of a sudden become a bunch or weanies or what LL~ ??

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: I guess we are to blame for the new pull test rules!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:22:41 PM »
To be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about.  ??? Determining line diameter via engine size is (IMO) an archaic method devised back in the days when there was a comparatively limited numbers of standard capacities and a fairly narrow power output across each displacement (Just talking aerobatic engines here, not TR, speed etc)... I always assumed the line tests were not really related to the expected pull during a normal pattern but more designed to cater a loss of line tension and the model flying free flight across the circle and hitting the lines on the other side. To me a 4 pound model doing 60 mph across the circle, hitting the lines with a merco 29, LA46, AXI/Scorpion whatever is going to exert the same pull on the control system, the only common element here is the weight. (A Ton of feathers verses a Ton of Lead). With the now common use of mufflers the overall weight of a wet power plant has increased (Along with model weight by the same amount). Due to modern engineering outputs have gone up at the same time. Pull tests based on model weight is the only sensible solution.  I don't fly competitively yet but to me the main issue here seems to be the extra work involved for the organisers. Just going by engine size was a lot less work than having to weigh the model and apply a bespoke pull test to each one. I may be missing something here but if so I can't think what.

TTFN
John.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »
When you are catching flak you must be getting close to the target.   ;D

Weight-based pull tests makes more sense than displacement based, and the "greasers" still get an empty tank bonus.  Now next cycle if we can get the pull test that also factors in prop diameter (the measure of the power being delivered to the air stream) then we'll fix another loophole...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »
You guys behave yourselves --  n1   Don't you make me stop this car ! ....
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
When you are catching flak you must be getting close to the target.   ;D

Weight-based pull tests makes more sense than displacement based, and the "greasers" still get an empty tank bonus.  Now next cycle if we can get the pull test that also factors in prop diameter (the measure of the power being delivered to the air stream) then we'll fix another loophole...

... and the proper term is "Slimers", not greasers.  Greasers are 50's rock&rollers like ShaNaNa

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:16:34 AM »
... and the proper term is "Slimers", not greasers.  Greasers are 50's rock&rollers like ShaNaNa

OK this will be a stretch, but as Bowser might have sang it...

Yep-yep-yep-yep-yep you're right-right-right-right-right bah-oh sha-na-na-na-na-na-na-na

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »
OK this will be a stretch, but as Bowser might have sang it...

Yep-yep-yep-yep-yep you're right-right-right-right-right bah-oh sha-na-na-na-na-na-na-na

Ooowwwww......
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:41:52 AM »
I know I'll regret this post, but I am certainly getting tired of all the whining our glow compatriots are making about the new pull test. What really galls me is that in some of their minds, we (electric fliers) are to blame for this conundrum!

Have CL people all of a sudden become a bunch or weanies or what LL~ ??

It's not "blame" you're getting; it's "sour grapes" that they didn't think of it (or adopt it) first!

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »
Not all Slimmers are weird about the new rules, I also think weight is the only way to really do a proper pull test.

Sure hope Dennis is joking about throwing prop diameter into the mix. Talk about putting a burden on CDs and making figuring out what to proper pull test a nightmare.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »
Dennis A.
Can you expand on your comment about prop diameter affecting pull tests?

You did not come down and build on my new work bench this year so I used it to build the Ringmaster Trainer.  Never had a straighter wing.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Dave Evar

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »

How difficult is it to weigh a stunter?

I figure you could ask the builder, PA guys know the weight to the 10th of an ounce.

Then pull out the scale and if they hesitate........

Dave

Brooklyn OH

North Coast Control Liners   Find us on Face Book
Bean Hill Fliers, Albion PA Akron Skymasters Control line Association  Gone, but not forgotten.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here