News:

• June 04, 2024, 05:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm a beliver!!! Updated with pictures 7/29/2010  (Read 843 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I'm a beliver!!! Updated with pictures 7/29/2010
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »
Larry Renger and I took his new Sky Sport 350e design out today for the second time.  I made several changes from what we learned on the first outing and man it is starting to work.  The motor runs are simply perfect, lots of line tension 5 second lap times and non of the usual problems.  Like, it runs 5 second lap times upright and inverted, no indication of foaming electrons (that's for Larry) and I didn't have to worry about the motor going lean as the electrons were burning off.  No joke, it really is a better way to fly.  I am currently finishing up a Yates Madman and it will be the last gas burner I build.  I am a believer. y1
Andy Borgogna
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:03:46 PM by Andrew Borgogna »
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: I'm a beliver!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:48:19 PM »
CONGRATS Andy & Larry  010!

Can't say I'm suprised tho... ;D  8)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:15:51 PM »
Hi Andy,

Well done! I am very glad to see you and Larry trying out E power. When I brought my ECL plane to our club meeting in 2007 Larry was very interested in my setup. In the CL world, you guys moved fast!  ;)

After being the only one flying ECL for almost 3 years in our little town of 10,000,000 people it is nice to have someone else using E power for CL nearby. I'm really happy it is two of the nicest CL guys in the area!  y1

If you guys ever fly at WN (or want to come out to our beautiful E only field) during the week, let me know. I would like to see your new E plane.

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Stan Tyler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »
Andy and Larry,

I'm looking forward to seeing the new e-Sky Sport.

I flew the electric QED 500 at the Joust to a 3rd place in profile. But that was with the larger battery setup. I've downsized the battery and after losing a couple of ounces or so, it flys noticably better.

I plan to fly it at the Valley Circle Burners' contest on Sunday Aug 8 at the basin.

QED 500 specs:
Pat Johnston QED 500 profile.
500 sq. in.
Scorpion SII- 3020-890
Castle Phoenix 45
Will Hubin Timer
APC 11-5.5e prop 9700 rpm
Approx 5:40 motor run, not including the 30 sec wait.
Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 4S 2600 battery.
Approx. 2000 MA per flight
All up weight approx 45oz

Later,
Stan

Stan Tyler
AMA 3239

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:02:23 PM »
Rudy thanks for you help during the early part of the project, your help on motor selection is much appreciated. 

Stan, it was watching your QED fly that inspired me to proceed with this project. 

Larry my partner in this project is the brains behind the Sky Sport project.  His enthuastic support when I suggested we convert the project to electric made the effort much easier.  We are already looking at a future electric project.  Mums the word on it now.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: I'm a beliver!!! Updated with pictures 7/29/2010
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:19:48 AM »
Hi Stan,

This is great news! I'm very glad to hear about your E-QED. Up until now the nearest ECL flyer was about 250 miles away. Now we have FOUR in our little town.

I always wanted to see one of these planes. Do you have any photos you can post? Or can I talk you into coming over to our E field near the ocean?

I can't think of three nicer guys to be joining the ECL movement.  #^

PS: are any of you three going to the GSC with your E ships?

Warm Regards,
Rudy
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Stan Tyler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »
Hi Rudy,

I don't have any pictures of the e-QED. I'll take a couple of photos tomorrow at the basin.

I've currently got several projects in process, but one will be a modified Genesis 46 for e-power. It'll have a Genesis fuse and tail, but a slightly smaller wing, actually about 650 sq in. Most likely with a scorpion SII-3026-890 motor.

I probable won't make GSC this year, blew the budget on vet care for a cat with acute renal failure.

Later,
Stan

Stan Tyler
AMA 3239

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »
I don't think renal failure is "cute" at all!  ( Sorry, just had to put our 21 year old kitty to sleep, and my sense of humor is a bit out of whack)  VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
Hi All,
I've got a pair of orange tabbies named Orville and Wilbur who are getting old enough that they don't hunt like they used to, and I don't know what I'll do in the workshop without them. They don't even flinch when I start the Dremel ... but as kittens. Well, my ankle grew back eventually LL~
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »
Back to the SS 350, we were out this morning, and it is getting closer to trim.  A bit of tip weight, some noseweight, straighten the LG, minor adjustment to the trim tab, and it will be ready for serious flying, and the last fine tuning.  Still haven't gotten in a full pattern, as it is trying to eat the pilot on some maneuvers.  But it is getting better and the needed adjustments are clear.

We are flying on 50' of .012 line, and there is plenty of room to maneuver.  Line tension down low is just fine, so getting it right at altitude is a matter of trim adjustments.  The weight is no problem at all, the model flies through corners with no visible slowing.  It is going to be a "Contendah" in profile!  And probably able to kick butt in Advanced, as is it's older (smaller) sibling.

Guess I am going to have to build one myself!   #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here