News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:21:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hybrid RC-Control Line Flight Video  (Read 623 times)

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Hybrid RC-Control Line Flight Video
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »
Here is the flight video. The plane is also capable of overhead figure eights. Lap time on the 20 ft. line is about 3.5 sec. Click the frames to play them.

Just for reference here is the previous equipment video:

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
  • Old Timers - My Speed...
Re: Hybrid RC-Control Line Flight Video
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
Appears to be a very simple setup.  It's interesting because an older C/L pilot friend of mine cannot fly this year because of some dizziness issues he's having from medications.  We could easily set one of these up for him. 

Is the tether attachment at the center-of-gravity location?

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »
I get too dizzy to fly with a handle - thats why I went to this. The RC transmitter stick works just like a small CL handle and any experienced CL pilot should be able to fly it easily.

I put the tether about 1 in behind the CG to help keep tension on the line. The line is made of either 10 or 20 lb. test monofiliment fishing line. There is also a lot of rudder offset to help keep tension in the overheads.

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Jim,
Can you tell me more about your plane and the motor setup?  I ran this past one of the guys I fly with and we'd like to setup something similar for our dizzy friend.

Thanks
Rob

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »
The airframe is a 25" span flat foamy from BP Hobbies like the SU-26 kit. I reinforced wing and fuse with 1" wide 1/32 balsa on both sides to stiffen them up.

The motor is a 2212 GWS outrunner but any similar motor with about 1000 kv and rated at at least 100 watts should work fine. Motors like this are available for about $20-$25. I use a GWS 8x6 hyper-drive prop which I found to work very well compared to more traditional propellers. It is a large diameter for a 25" span plane.

The speed control has governor mode and is rated at 20 amps.  It is a BP hobbies brand for helicopters - very inexpensive at about $19. The governor mode works fine.

The battery is a 3 cell 700 mah LiPo from Common Sense RC. Its rated a 15C. Static I draw about 8 amps or about 11C. Cost around $20.

Any  1/3 oz. or so receiver will work fine. I have several brands all costing about $25. Any compatable transmitter can be used.

The servo is a Hitec HS-55 again about $20. I use both servo arms - one drives the elevator and one drives the flaps through a wire bent into a V shape. This requires a slot to be cut in the fuse.

Its important to use a line that has some give to it. I use 10 or 20 lb test monofilament fishing line. The line is 20' long to keep the motor power requirement low.

Hope this helps!

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »
Thanks Jim.  I have a Blue Wonder motor (lazertoyz.com) and speed controller without a purpose...  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here