News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hubin timer + normal ESC  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Hubin timer + normal ESC
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
Dear ALL

What is the best way to use a normal ESC with Hubin timer?
My castle had problems .
I have a normal ESC (hobby King) I need to use It .

Here in Brazil is very expensive and difficult to find.

Thank you
Guil

Enviado de meu Moto Z (2) usando Tapatalk

Offline John Tate

• Commander
Re: Hubin timer + normal ESC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »
It all depends on which Hubin Timer are you using???

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
It all depends on which Hubin Timer are you using???
Sorry , Im using FM 9

Enviado de meu Moto Z (2) usando Tapatalk

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »
What I did on a non governor ESC was to set the FM-9 Programmer to ESC Mode: throttle mode, press OK. Then the screen will go to: throttle mode: then push the  "UP" and "DOWN" buttons to set the percentage of throttle the you need. I started out with 71.0%, press OK. That will get you close to the RPM you need to fly your model. I think of it like moving the throttle stick on a R/C transmitter. It might take you a few tries to get the RPM that you want.

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
What I did on a non governor ESC was to set the FM-9 Programmer to ESC Mode: throttle mode, press OK. Then the screen will go to: throttle mode: then push the  "UP" and "DOWN" buttons to set the percentage of throttle the you need. I started out with 71.0%, press OK. That will get you close to the RPM you need to fly your model. I think of it like moving the throttle stick on a R/C transmitter. It might take you a few tries to get the RPM that you want.

Thank you John
I will try tomorrow

guil 

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:34:09 AM »
Hi Guil

With a non-governing ESC and a FM9, use the throttle compensating mode.  What this does is adds throttle over the duration of the flight to maintain the motor RPM and compensate for the deduction in voltage as the battery discharges.  I do not have my FM9 Programmer handy but there are something like 16 settings for the style of compensation, use the highest (#16) for your setting.  Then as John stated you will have to take a few tries to get the RPM you want.  I suggest starting at about 70% throttle then change to suit.

In the throttle compensation mode you will probably want to fly about 100-200 RPM faster in level flight than you do with a Castle Phoenix.  Without governing the airspeed will slow some in consecutive maneuvers, but it will still outperform the typical glow engine.  It will also be a little more prone to wind-up in the wind than a governed system, but again, better (less wind-up) than a glow engine.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »
I tried to show the simplest way to get the FM9 timer to work on a non governed ESC.
I have used the throttle compensation mode but, I did not like it. That is just me. Someone else might like it.
Guess I do not run my battery that low to need it. Like Dennis stated, there are many settings that one can try. Have fun and experiment to see what works best for you.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
While it's not as inexpensive as the total budget Hobby King ESC's, you might look for the new Castle Talon 60 ESC.  The Talon series have all the governor functions of the Ice and Edge Lite ESC's, just no data logging.  The Talon 60 is available for around 55.00 online and on ebay.  Availability, duty fees and shipping to Brazil are the big unknowns.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here