News:

• April 16, 2024, 06:16:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timer choices  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Timer choices
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:56:39 PM »
I’m gathering parts for my SV-11 arf and I’m down to the timer. I have a KR for my Twister but I haven’t tried it yet. I have a couple of the old EFlite timers but they’re really only suitable for sport flying.
I know of Igor’s as well as Fiorotti’s but they sound a bit exotic at my skill level. There’s also the Hubin that the manual recommends.
What are the differences, pros and cons of these timers. Trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks, Matt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Timer choices
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:30:02 PM »
Hubin: lots of acceptance out there, has features you want.  On the minus side, the one you want only works with an ESC that has a governor.  The last time I looked (which was a while ago) you wanted the -9 model.  He has more "sportish" ones that don't need a governor, but try to compensate for battery sag with a scheduled increase in the command to the motor.  If you can track him down, send him an email and ask for his recommendation (or use what's recommended in whatever manual you're talking about).

KR: Again, I'm not sure of the exact model you want.  It has the plus that you don't need a governing ESC -- it'll work with cheaper ESCs (which was Kieth's intent).  On the down side, the governing won't necessarily be as good.  Another downside is that wiring it in is slightly more complicated -- you need to tap into one of the motor wires so the timer can use it as a tach for governing.

Burger and Fioretti -- if you have to ask you probably won't benefit from them.  But, I'm just regurgitating the opinions of others here.  They complicate the trim process.  In fact, at one point the recommended procedure was to disable the airspeed regulation while trimming the plane, because the speed regulation can mask problems with trim.  Then once the plane itself is trimmed, start trimming the timer.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:57:06 PM »
I ordered the Hubin with pot and remote start button. I have a Phoenix Edge 50A in stock.

Thanks, Matt

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »
Hubin: lots of acceptance out there, has features you want.  On the minus side, the one you want only works with an ESC that has a governor.  The last time I looked (which was a while ago) you wanted the -9 model.  He has more "sportish" ones that don't need a governor, but try to compensate for battery sag with a scheduled increase in the command to the motor.  If you can track him down, send him an email and ask for his recommendation (or use what's recommended in whatever manual you're talking about).

KR: Again, I'm not sure of the exact model you want.  It has the plus that you don't need a governing ESC -- it'll work with cheaper ESCs (which was Kieth's intent).  On the down side, the governing won't necessarily be as good.  Another downside is that wiring it in is slightly more complicated -- you need to tap into one of the motor wires so the timer can use it as a tach for governing.

Burger and Fioretti -- if you have to ask you probably won't benefit from them.  But, I'm just regurgitating the opinions of others here.  They complicate the trim process.  In fact, at one point the recommended procedure was to disable the airspeed regulation while trimming the plane, because the speed regulation can mask problems with trim.  Then once the plane itself is trimmed, start trimming the timer.
Hi Tim, I see that you're lysdexic........."Kieth"  S?P

I guess that soldering one wire could be a challenge, and you're quite political about "the governing won't necessarily be as good". Well stated...........! Of course, I'm totally unbiased here but the KR Timer is surely the best.  #^

Sincerely,
KR

Keith R

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »
You can't go wrong with any of the timers out there. Seven years use of the Hubin timer and zero problems. Rock- solid and Will's ultra-quick responses to questions. Couldn't ask for more.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here