News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hubin FM-9 Programmer upgrade now supports Castle Phoenix and Talon ESCs  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Mike Alimov

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Those of you who have used the Hubin FM timers with Castle Phoenix ESCs (not ICE, not EDGE, but simply Phoenix 35, 45, etc) or Castle Talon ESCs (Talon 35, Talon 60, etc) know that the Phoenix ICE/EDGE High RPM mode settings result in different actual RPM.  For example, I found that my Phoenix 35 ESC produced about 300 less actual RPMs than was set in the programmer; the Talons are different by almost 1,000 RPM between actual and programmed.  Only the Castle ICE or Edge ESCs will match the set RPM between programmed and actual.

I've worked with Will Hubin to add support for the Phoenix and Talon ESCs, and it has been done.  He gave me a new chip for the FM-9 Programmer (requires you to take the programmer board out of the case and swap the chip in the socket - make sure to watch for the chip key orientation!!).  The new chip adds two more modes: Phoenix High RPM and Talon High RPM. With the ESC set to Governor High RPM in the Castle Link software, these two new modes will allow you to achieve actual RPM that are within 30-50 RPM of the programmed value, as I determined with my Fromeco tach.  My son Luca flew his airplanes (SV-11 and Initiation) with Phoenix 35 ESC and FM-9 set to Phoenix High RPM all week at the NATS, and everything worked flawlessly.

You can order upgrade chips from Will Hubin directly; $7 each, shipping included.

Online Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Mike,
 Does Will's replacement chip do the fm9r(retracts)timer with the added ESC's?
Thanks, Bob

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
Hmmm. Not sure. Call him.

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Contact info for Will Hubin would be appreciated please.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Rick_Huff

I ordered two of Will's timers with the Talon mode (one with the retract feature).  I received and installed them and now find that the rpm setpoint is right-on with the actual rpm.  I measured 10,600 to 10,620 rpm with my Fromeco tach and the setpoint was 10,620 rpm.   Thanks to Mike and Will for initialing and making this change.
Rick

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Do the timers also need to be updated to work properly with the Talon ESC, or is this update only needed on the programmer box?

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Contact info for Will Hubin would be appreciated please.

Hubin Timers

Will Hubin
719 Cuyahoga St.
Kent, OH.  44240
330-678-9319
whubin@kent.edu
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Rick_Huff

Brent,
No, only the programmer needs to be updated,
Rick

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Thanks

Hubin Timers

Will Hubin
719 Cuyahoga St.
Kent, OH.  44240
330-678-9319
whubin@kent.edu
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
Clarification: per Will Hubin, any of his timers that can be programmed using FM-9 programmer will support the new Talon and Phoenix modes.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here