News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:09:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not too happy so far with my Electric Super Clown build  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Not too happy so far with my Electric Super Clown build
« on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
Wow!  So far I’m completely underwhelmed by my Electric Super Clown ARF.  From past reading, I’d been prepared to have to glass the nose ring, but that in no way prepared me for what I got when I opened the box.

The small parts scattered around the box from the parts bag that had split open was something of a harbinger of things to come, I guess.

First thing I noticed was that the ply nose ring was coming apart.  There was too little/no glue in between the ply laminations.  The second was that there were big gaps between the wood of the fuselage and the nose ring.  I’m talking about gaps of about 1/8” by ¼”.  Third, looking down on the nose ring, it was glued in with about five degrees of LEFT thrust.  Disappointing to say the least.  So I went ahead and wicked glue between the ply laminations and clamped it together.  After that dried, I fiberglassed the nose ring to the fuse.  I’ll shim to get the thrust angle correct.

Next, I took out the covering iron to shrink the incredible amount of wrinkles in the yellow covering.  The fuse and wing went okay, but the fin was miserable.  I passed the iron over the fin/rudder, and the clear film lifted from the red adhesive.  Unusable now.  I’m going to have to cut a new fin/rudder set and cover them myself.

The instructions say that the wing should slide in and to use thin CA to glue the wing in place.  Thin CA?!?  With these gaps?  I was figuring on using epoxy before I read the instructions, and that’s what I’ll have to do.

I haven’t gotten any farther on the build other than gluing the flap control horn in, which also took a good bit of measuring and trimming to make fit smoothly and correct.

Now, I know ARFs need a little work to complete, but of all the ARFs I’ve built over the past 30 years, this is the most disappointing.  Especially as I’ve always found anything I bought from Brodak in the past to be of superior quality and workmanship.  Maybe I’m just the one guy in a thousand who got the Monday morning , post-hangover, first plane of the day from the factory.  I hope so.

Now, a couple of questions about hinges.  The instructions say to use thin CA to do the flap hinges.  I see that as a disaster in my shaky hands.  Also, I’m going to go to pinned hinges on the elevator instead of the CA hinges included.  I see in a post by John Paris that he used Pacer Hinge Glue on his ailerons.  My local shops do not carry this, and I’m not in a mood to wait a week or so and order it mail order.  Can someone point me to a good glue to use and method for mounting these hinges?  I’ve always avoided pinned hinges as my hands aren’t always that steady, and I don’t want to get glue in the hinge pins.

Thanks for bearing with me,
Mark

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Not too happy so far with my Electric Super Clown build
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:18:27 PM »
Mark,
 Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the ARF. I've had my share too. You will only add to the grief if you use those fabric hinges and super glue them in, they are too stiff to be useful on a control line plane. Go with Dubro pinned hinges. To prep them for installing melt a small amount of vaseline in a metal lid with a candle, fold the hinge in half and dip the barrel in the vaseline letting it wick in the pin. Use only 30 minute epoxy to glue the hinges to the stab and wing. Wipe off any excess with a Qtip dipped in acetone or rubbing alcohol. Make sure the 2 surfaces are aligned and snug, I use a few pieces of masking tape to hold them together until the glue sets up(usually overnight ). If any epoxy oozed out and got on the hinge barrel after the glue sets you should be able to remove it with an exacto knife.
 I would glue the wing in with 30 minute epoxy, only using some super glue to tack it in place before epoxying it in place.
Bob

James_Mynes

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 05:41:21 AM »
I used those CA hinges on mine, and the controls are really stiff. It flies OK, but if I had it to do over again I wold not use those hinges.
My nose ring also had some left thrust built in. Thankfully it snapped off during assembly, so I glued it back on with a little right thrust.
The way I understand it, Brodak has a new vendor producing their ARFs now. Hopefully they don't have a large supply of the old stuff and we can start seeing the new product soon. With any luck the quality will be better and the covering will stay on.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:05:10 AM »
Sometimes if you call and ask nice they just send new parts. I got a whole new (V40) wing and I didn't have to send the old one back. I'd buy from them anytime.

MM

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »
A lot of the CL ARF's are pretty junky.  Lots of bad joints and warped parts, not to mention all the control system parts and hardware package that just aren't trustworthy.  I've been down the ARF road with several of the Top Flite offerings, a couple Sig's, and a Brodak, and by the time you get done fixing most of the problems, you could probably build a plane from scratch and come out further ahead.

The melted Vaseline method of keeping epoxy out of the hinge barrels is what I use.  30 minute epoxy seems to hold best of what I've tried. 

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »
Ya gotta give the manufacture credit for one thing - they are very consistent.  I had the exact same problems when I built mine.

Just use a solvent to wipe the gooey red paint of the vertical stab and paint it, no need to cover it.  I used some cardboard shims of various thicknesses to fit the wing in tight before soaking the joint with thin CA.  I then applied epoxy fillets to cover the gap.  As Jim pointed out the CA hinges for the elevator are way too stiff and should never be used on any control line airplane.  After rebuilding mine after a nasty crash I used monokote hinges and find them very floppy and standing up well. 

The Super Clown flies good, you'll like it once you get it in the air and forget about the assembly problems.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Look for "Tacky"glue at your craft/fabric store for hinge glue It fills gaps nicely and remains flexible. I vote yes on the Vasaline trick. Consider, also, pulling all the pins and inserting a wire through all the hinges to assure perfect
Alignment.

Also, Tacky seems to be identical to that canopy glue at high price.   ;D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Guys.  Actually, I was at the local hole in the wall shop and looked in their glue section on Thursday.  Sitting in the back of the shelf was a lonely bottle of Pacer hinge glue and the tips for it.  I bought it, and will be trying it out.  I'm just trying to figure out what I'll use for a container to heat up the Vaseline for the hinges.  I keep looking around the garage for a metal cap from some metal can, but nothing pops out.  Seems everyone's gone to plastic caps.  Any suggestions?

For the elevator, I decided to sew some hinges.  I'm getting to like sewn hinges for some reason.  But, after trying these pinned hinges on the flaps, maybe I'll migrate over to those for the next few models.

Mark

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:03:54 PM »
Just fold a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil or cut the bottom off of a beer can! Doesn't take much to melt Vaseline.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Online Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
I had the same problems, but used pinned hinges and 30 minute epoxy.  Used 15 minute epoxy to fillet the wing.  The most time consuming part for me was to clear out enough space around the motor so that the motor was free to turn, and then to re-glue that nose ring area so that it could still be strong-enough.

But it flies well now.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »
A lot of guys use thin CA to install pinned hinges (with the Vaseline trick), per John Miller's article in the .txt file below.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »
A small brush will do fine instead of the melt routine. Brush the outsideof both sides of the hinge and epoxy won't penetrate. Also, easy to control where it is applied.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Don Coe

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »
I had the same problems, but used pinned hinges and 30 minute epoxy.  Used 15 minute epoxy to fillet the wing.  The most time consuming part for me was to clear out enough space around the motor so that the motor was free to turn, and then to re-glue that nose ring area so that it could still be strong-enough.

But it flies well now.

Dave

Ditto on the space around motor.  For the price and time involved putting it together, I'm happy.  It does fly well.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here