News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Stiletto  (Read 3553 times)

Online George Grossardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Electric Stiletto
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
OK, I am thinking ahead to the next building season.  I plan to build the original 35 sized Stiletto. I have the Hunt lost foam system ready to go for the wing.  I could use some input on making this plane electric.  Here are my thoughts:

- I plan to use an E-flite 25. I think the 32 is too much and the 15 isn't enough - agree?
- I plan to build it so the battery top loads - any thing I should be thinking about?
- Looks like the tank compartment might be tight for all the electronics and batteries.  I am thinking I might have to cut into the leading edge.  Any concerns with wing strength? What can I do to mitigate issues?
- The plans show a 3 inch bellcrank.  Any reason to go to 3 1/2 or 4" ?  I am thinking 4" is too much for a plane this size. 

I am open to any thoughts any of you might have.  This electric stuff is all new to me.

George

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Electric Stiletto
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
Hi George:

Trust me, the Power 15 with a 2500 mAh 4S pack will be plenty providing the ship can be brought in at 50 ounces or less with the battery on board.

I'm flying my 620 square inch Oosa-Amma (Stunt Machine 1) with the 15 and it hauls it around like it was a feather. That ship weighs in at 46 ounces with the battery. It could easily carry four to seven ounces more.

Later - Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:41:58 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:58:13 PM »
Find a battery that will fit the nose before you start the build. I'm thinking a Nanotech 3.0AH 25C 4S will fit the nose and leave room for the ESC and timer. The Stilletto has a long narrow nose limiting just any battery.
Bob

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »
What Bob says!!! Don't underestimate the power of a Power 15 sized motor. I know of a few people that are pulling 50+ ounce planes with them. As far as the battery goes yes make sure it will fit, but I would bet that most brands will. We are squeezing a 2700 mah zippy compact into the front of a UHP Gieskie Nobler. I can also tell you that that plane will easily carry a 4s 2200 and still do the full pattern with battery to spare.
AMA 98010

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:52:33 AM »
I was remiss in not mentioning above that it was Will DeMauro who convinced me to try the Power 15 in the Stunt Machine 1. I had assumed that a Power 25 size motor was needed for that ship. When I installed the 25 and a 3300 mAh battery, the ship was just too nose heavy. Will suggested the Power 15 and a 2500 mAh battery. It was an easy change as the mount accepted the 15 perfectly, and all I had to do with the battery is make a new holder. I dropped 5 ounces out of the nose with the change and then the ship just came alive. It is one of the best flying models that I have owned now. It flies especially well in heavy wind.

I'd suggest using the Hyperion 25C 4S 2500 mAh battery. I've found that Hyperion batteries last a long, long time. They cost a little more than the "bargain" batteries, but they seem to go on indefinitely. I have a motto: The very best always costs a bit more... and it's always worth it!"

That system should fit easily into the nose of the 35-size Stiletto; we've shoehorned them into many small 35-sized ships in this area. In fact, many have put that size system into the noses of ARF Noblers!

Later - Bob Hunt   

Online George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
Thanks all for the insight.  Nice to know that one can get help when needed.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »
George-
Did the Stiletto electrification come to completion?

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Online George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Chris,

I haven't made progress on this project yet.  Life got in the way - my daughter's wedding, new role at work, weekends at the cottage, etc.  I have been collecting parts/stuff for the build. I have a lost foam set, canopy, etc.  Still deciding how I am going to approach this project. I am a little concerned about motor choice and battery space.

Have to finish my Cardinal before I start this project.  I have always loved the Stiletto. I will have one built one day

George

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »
Thanks George.
We are both looking forward to the day we have Electric Stiletto's.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here