News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:21:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to program Spin 44 Pro without JetiBox?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
How to program Spin 44 Pro without JetiBox?
« on: April 26, 2022, 01:25:02 PM »
How to program Spin 44 ESC without JetiBox?
Is it possible or not?
Thanks,
M

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: How to program Spin 44 Pro without JetiBox?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 01:14:36 AM »
Yes, you can, with R/C transmitter and receiver, or servotester. But you can set only basic values, so do not expect to programming of governor RPM or similar things.

I thought you have jetibox. It is good stuff, because it is not only for programming, but also signal generator, servo tester, it can display servosignal etc.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 06:37:30 AM »
Hi Igor.
Unfortunately, this is RPM that I wanted to change to slow down my eParrot XL with Himax 3516-1030 contra and Fiorotti active timer.
I have the JetiBox, Spins 44 F2B, and your active timers but they are in Poland and I am still in Canada.

I have found the solution to the "RPM change" problem though - I have simply extended eParrot's lines to get 5.3 -5.35 seconds per horizontal lap.
I will try to get 5.4 sec./lap but the model has Spins 44 Pro. They do not react to Fiorotti's timer accelerometer signals, therefore the model does not have the RPM boost.  We discussed this issue before.
No RPM boost = even less lines tension when it is needed. 

The eParrot's lap time was 5.1 sec. and it was too fast. I mean, it was ok. for me in 2019, 2020, and 2021 but now I am flying a bit better. All polish pilots flying F2B with GAU/D or TMT R contra set the lap time between 5.35-5.4 seconds and at least one person experimented with 5.45 sec./lap. 

Such slow flying is only possible with contras - any full-size F2B model with a single motor flying the pattern with ~5.4 sec./lap will show, clearly visible, parasite angular movements in sharp corners (ref: Euler's equations of motion for the rigid body in 3D space). I realized recently that the key factor is the tension of the lines. When you fly your Max Bee II at 5.15 sec./lap, the lines' tension helps to minimize the Yaw and Roll movements. It is very hard to see these "Yaw and Roll angular jerks" in 90 and 120 deg. corners because everything is happening fast and they are small.

I hope to be in Poland in July but I do not have the model with contra there. I would love to bring eParrot XL with me and fly it for other people to see and evaluate it. Unfortunately, eParrot XL is not a take-apart model, and shipping a large box from Canada to Poland costs too much. I will build something similar to eParrot XL but 8% larger in Poland. This larger model will be powered by Robert Tomzik's TMT R contra with TP 6S 2800 battery, Spins 44 F2B, and one of the available active timers. 

I wish you success in this year's C/L World Championships.

Best Regards,
M

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:58:16 AM »
They do not react to Fiorotti's timer accelerometer signals, therefore the model does not have the RPM boost.  We discussed this issue before.
Where was it discussed and what version of Fiorotti are you using?  I am using the Spinn 44 Pro with a version 6 timer and all of the features appear to be work fine.  I was under the impression that it was only Igor's timer that required the non-pro version.  Hope I am not wrong.

Ken   
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 11:23:42 AM »
Where was it discussed and what version of Fiorotti are you using?  I am using the Spinn 44 Pro with a version 6 timer and all of the features appear to be work fine.  I was under the impression that it was only Igor's timer that required the non-pro version.  Hope I am not wrong.

Ken   

PRO version is simply slower than non pro, it is not problem of timer, timer works with any ESC, it just makes simple servo impulses, there is no reason not to work. I RECOMMEND to use non proversion, because PRO version makes it significanly delayed (aproximately 0,1s to 0,2s ) and that will make quality of controll worse. It is visible especially in wind and turbullence. So statement that my timer requires non-pro version is false in the way that it WILL work as expected also with PRO version, but that statement is true in the way that its potential is not fully used  H^^

Difference between PRO and nonpro version is that nonpro version has several modes of work, and the HELI 3D mode is free of any ramping or LP filters on signal input, it was necessary for C/L when we started. It has only delay function in case of missing signal (that is why it does not stop immediatelly when you switch off the ESC switch). Those modes are replaced by telemetry functions in PRO versions, so it is development for R/C usefull with 2.4GHz transmitters, but not for us.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 03:37:59 PM »
Hi Ken,
I am using Fiorotti V.6.X timers.
You wrote: "I am using the Spin 44 Pro with a version 6 and all of the features appear to be working fine."

Does this mean that you are getting the RPM boost in the model with the control circuit with Fiorotti active timer with accelerometer and Spin 44 Pro?

I have discussed the Spin 44 Pro v/s. Spin 44 and 66 F2B with Igor two years ago. I have proposed the name containing "F2B" to distinguish these ESCs from the "Pro" version. I see that Igor uses the name "a nonpro version". The other name used was "old version". All these names are ok. 

I wrote: "They do not react to Fiorotti's timer accelerometer signals, therefore the model does not have the RPM boost". Perhaps I should modify this statement to "They do not react to Fiorotti's timer accelerometer signals fast enough, therefore the model does not have the RPM boost in the short time when its nose is going up".

My conclusion: if you want to have the RPM boost with Fiorotti active timer, use spin 44 or 66 F2B or one of many Castle Creation ESC. 

Thanks,
M

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 12:36:53 AM »
I have discussed the Spin 44 Pro v/s. Spin 44 and 66 F2B with Igor two years ago. I have proposed the name containing "F2B" to distinguish these ESCs from the "Pro" version. I see that Igor uses the name "a nonpro version". The other name used was "old version". All these names are ok. 

Actually there are 3 types:

1/ Orriginal firmware developed for Spins which did not have C/L moddifications inside. It is easy to recognize, because it does not allow brake in governor mode. Brake is danger for helis, so it did not allowe activation.

2/ When I stared with electric, I tested several ESCs or several makers and I was not happy, so I contacted maker and asked for C/L version. They did necessary modiffications in HELI 3D mode and I had prototype in Landres world champ in my Max II model. Since then it was normally sold also in standard production. So all standard non-pro spins made after 2008 have it inside. It differs in several things - brake in governor mode, slow RPM transition outside of defined RPM range, slow initial governor spin up and very quick trasition of RPM inside defined range after governor lock. My timer is able to use all those things, that is why I say they are developed together and usage of that ESC is best match to my timer. The point is that both ESC and timer did not change firmware for over 10 years (I think since 2010) so it is very well tested and I can very well support.

3/ PRO version has completaly reworked firmware for 2.4GHz age (they make also transmitters, receivers and complete R/C electronics), it does not have modes anymore and menu and function is different. It is slower also in its best settings and result is suboptimal, so I do not reccomend it. There is nothing you can do if some o component in regulation loop makes delay. However it does not mean that it does not work at all. I think still far better than many other ESCs I tested before using Spin. And yes, it is perfect ESC for constant RPM. But I think there are cheaper ESCs for constant RPM. (if they are available, because current situation on microchips market can make miracles  VD~ )

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here