News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:50:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How many people fly electric c/l?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How many people fly electric c/l?
« on: July 01, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »
I'm curious, how many people fly electric c/l, and what sizes basicly ?

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: How many people fly electric c/l?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:06:18 PM »
I have two electric Ringmasters. One is an RSM S-1 and one is a Sterling S-1A. I also have another scratch built S-1 in the works --- due out this month.

John Cralley
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:44:28 PM »
I have one arf electric supper clown and one rc flat fomie converted to cl

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
I am working on putting together my Cardinal electric conversion now. creating motor mount and battery mounts
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
Will I'm trying to work out the flight time on my Seraphim
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:52:15 AM »
I just bought the BJM Enterprize E and will be working on it when time permits.
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:31 AM »
1) Electric Super Clown
2) Electric Nobler
3) Electric Baby Clown
4) Soon-to-come Electric Vector

Except for some Bi-Slob flying (the antithesis of Electric!), I have only flown electric this year.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
I have the following:

Electric 15 carrier plane
Electric 36 profile carrier plane ( since crashed!!!!)
3 1/2 A sized electric sport planes

Starting this year there will be unofficial events for electric airplanes is 5 different classes of Navy carrier at the Nats. I know of at least 6 different electric Skyray carrier models are in existence.
Bob Frogner

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »
I'm curious, how many people fly electric c/l, and what sizes basicly ?

I've been trying to figure that out myself. We have a few dozen different respondents on this forum, but I'm guessingt that only half have actually flown E-CL.
Maybe I'll set up some sort of survey.
;ater,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:08:14 PM »
Can't speak for others but I've flown Electric Navy Carrier, Electric "1/2E" Stunt, and just got a Sterling Yak-9 (kit-bashed into a MIG-3) converted from OS .35S to Turnigy 3548-1100.  Also, I've got my two grandsons flying e-powered .15 size planes, one of my flying partners flying another E-Ray and another of my flying partners will be "humming" around by the end of the summer.

At the Sig contest, there were five Electric Powered Skyrays in Skyray carrier.

Here are some Pix - (The 1/2E has been pictured in other threads).

The "TnT-3" s are my grandsons' (twins, about to turn 10) first bigger-than-1/2A models.  They fly very well and both boys have recently solo'd.  (TnT-3  = "Tyler 'n Trevor", 3rd design)

The Mig-3 was flown for the first time last night - plenty of power, 3-cell 2200's fly over five minutes.  Still kind of nose heavy, so not much attempted in the way of maneuvers.  Wil Hubin timer. Weighs 34 oz.

Mike Anderson
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »
The Philly club has four (maybe five) electric fliers including myself.

Just a few years ago you could count the number of people flying electric, now there are hundreds. I have talked with dozens of people via e-mail/phone about their electric projects. The number of electric fliers outside the USA is also much higher than some may realize.

From my observations most fly .35-.40 size ships 500 to 600 sq" (give or take) mainly due to the ARF availability.

Mike

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
Hi all,
Last flying season, here in Western Europe,we were 4 people competing in Electric F2B (60 sized ships). 3 of us flew the whole season with E/CL ships:
Bruno Van Hoeck (Netherlands, with a Blue Pearl + Axi, formerly Henk De Jong ship), Giuseppe Casarola from Italy with an Extra 230+ Pletty, and myself with my Morane "Epervier" + Axi. In addition Christoph Holtermann from Germany flew some contest flights with his Cobra+ Graupner390(?)
I know of some others ready for E/CL this year like Tamas TOKAIJ from Hungary. In addition many smaller ships are flying with electrons like ARF Noblers or Profile planes.
It will be interesting to see who will carry batteries at the WC ...very soon!
Best Rgds, Thierry

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
I have the following:
 I know of at least 6 different electric Skyray carrier models are in existence.

Besides the ones pictured above, I know that you, Tony N., and Eric have E-Rays
so that makes at least 8 flying.  Then there are Eric's two profiles ...  Hmmm.,
it's not all that unusual anymore, I guess.

Mike A

(OOPS, I see that you have (had) a profile, but not a Skyray.  Never was too
  good at "Story Problems".) ::)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:03:51 PM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Alan Hahn

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »
...snip..
From my observations most fly .35-.40 size ships 500 to 600 sq" (give or take) mainly due to the ARF availability.

Mike

Mike one other reason is that at the 35-40 size, the costs haven't quite gone astronomical yet. I would argue that it isn't a lot more cost than a excellent glow setup (Aerotiger 36 for example). At least I keep telling myself that! y1

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »
Hi Alan,
   Here is another interesting perspective. If you really want to convince yourself, don't include the price of the battery. If someone complains ask them to include the cost of glow fuel and glow plugs (among others things) to their total throughout their airplanes life. Is that a better/fair comparison of costs? S?P I think it makes sense.

Mike

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 04:04:41 AM »
 H^^

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »
Hi all,
Last flying season, here in Western Europe,we were 4 people competing in Electric F2B (60 sized ships). 3 of us flew the whole season with E/CL ships:
Bruno Van Hoeck (Netherlands, with a Blue Pearl + Axi, formerly Henk De Jong ship), Giuseppe Casarola from Italy with an Extra 230+ Pletty, and myself with my Morane "Epervier" + Axi. In addition Christoph Holtermann from Germany flew some contest flights with his Cobra+ Graupner390(?)
I know of some others ready for E/CL this year like Tamas TOKAIJ from Hungary. In addition many smaller ships are flying with electrons like ARF Noblers or Profile planes.
It will be interesting to see who will carry batteries at the WC ...very soon!
Best Rgds, Thierry
I still will be flying the Blue Pearl (the 2nd dutch E F2B test plane), but it's not a .60 size. It started it's life with a ST .51 then was shelved for about 10 years and re-emerged as Henk's contribution to E F2B. I'm just the electrician and test pilot.... ;D Let's say that we hit 95% of what was possible within 10 weeks back then, we're working on the remaining 5% for 2 years now (!).....
The next purpose-built electric F2B probably will have a different motor, batteries and who knows what more.  We've done extensive testing with both the Blue Pearl (flying some comps. too) and Erik Janssen's -the brains behind anything systematical over here- Eagle (his plane from the 1994 Shanghai WCh) and gradually patterns and repeating results emerge. Now we've got one winter to put this to work..... When we've got something noteworthy, you'll be the first to know.

I'll be carrying two sets of batteries to the WCh 2008 in Landres, one of my own and one of a well known overseas competitor.

Bruno van Hoek (no c ;))

A fortnight (quinze jours ;)) ago (Genk, 6th out of 28):
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »
Down at the bottom of the feeding chain I have flown, Flying Clown, Baby Clown and a 26" span flat foamie. The flat foamy is my favorite. I fly it on 20' lines and try to mimick Igor Burger (Not a chance!) I also control the plane totally by RC. I just get too dizzy for the handle.

Offline Wade Pearson

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
I have a Brodak Super Clown and an E-Vector.  The Vector flies because of Mike Palko's willingness to exchange countless emails.
Wade

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »
Gentlemen,

There are two active Electric CL contest flyers in the Los Angeles, California area.  Howard Doering and I  have competed in AMA events 606 and 607, Class A and Class B Speed, since the early nineties.

Will Stewart
William Stewart

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »
In the St Louis area I have been the lone electric CL contest flyer since 2004. Their
are a few other flyers that have small electrics that fly for fun but not in contests yet.
I have a Scale model R4D (navy DC-3) that has been converted to Electric with 2 Axi 2826/10 s. It weighs 11.5 pounds and uses 2 -TP4000mah 14.8v batteries in parallel. I also have 4 PAMPA stunt models ,2 of which are twins.All of these models were designed and built as electric stunt models. In addition I have converted an ALL American SR old tyme model to electric. I have a classic model NAKKE that was built as an electric flyer after I had converted my first NAKKE to electric from OS 40 FP power. I have not built a profile yet but hope to get one built before the end of august this year. 

Walt   

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
I have two electric Super Clowns (both converted to different motors), two ARF Flite Streaks converted to electric (intended as ab initio trainers), and a 600 sq in modification of a Netzeband plane--all flown by at least three people. There is one other member in the area just getting into electric (ARF Smoothie).

Alan Hahn

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 08:56:13 PM »
Will,
Do you have a list of your timers and the differences?

Alan

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
Yes, I'll send an attachment to your e-mail address. I'm up to 8 different versions...

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »
Will, If you would be so kind, I would be interested in this list as well. I am now putting together my first elect ship. Its a profile Cardinal with the AXI motor
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline bob yocum

• New Pilot
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »
I am 95% finished with my first electric a Brodak Superclown.And can hardly wait to fly my first E PLANE.

Offline bob yocum

• New Pilot
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »
ps.all Brodak except for Astroflight charger.

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
boy it looks like you have to be an electrician to do a job like that, but is it all to code? and done with union workers? LL~

roger

Offline bob yocum

• New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »
I am still trying to learn what everybody is saying when talking e-planes,mah,amps,s,kv,etc. Hopefully ican figure some this greek out.People on forum,and most others are so far more knowledgable than I am but I trying to learn.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
"I am still trying to learn what everybody is saying when talking e-planes,mah,amps,s,kv,etc. Hopefully ican figure some this greek out.People on forum,and most others are so far more knowledgable than I am but I trying to learn."

Bob, don't get discouraged it's not that hard once you get into it. It took me a while to get familiar too but these forums are a great place to learn and ask questions. From your post it's obvious that you are understanding some of it since you keyed in on some of the buzz words already. Keep at it and you will enjoy it.
Bob Frogner

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »
Bob you and I are in the same boat. Trying to learn the lingo and what size to use on this and that. Oh well one of these days it'll be secound nature.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline bob yocum

• New Pilot
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement.I read and reread everything I can regarding U-control both fuel and electric.I just joined PAMPA to glean all the information   I can.ps.I've never got past loops & wingovers without doing the figure 9! My building skills are fair but I learn something new everytime,I've had mucho practice.I do love to build,even with my errors.I developed a philosophy that all mistakes can be fixed,it helps.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 08:20:23 AM »
Bob,

Join www.brotherhoodofthering.info there is a lot of good information there. You do NOT have to have a Ringmaster to join!! LOL

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here