News:

• May 05, 2024, 10:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How many good cycles out of LIPO's?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
How many good cycles out of LIPO's?
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:32:34 AM »
Hi All,

I have been flying electric stunt now for about a year or so, and my competition model flies with a 4-cell 3300 mAh Desire pack. I have 3 of these packs, and I don't fly that much, but now after around 50 flights on each pack, they no longer last very well. Two of the packs get a little hotter than the last surviving pack, and they seem to be a little "puffy" as well. The last survivor pack has 42 flights on it.

The makes of Lipo's these days are all claiming a couple of hundred flights, so I would like to hear what sort of cycle life is now realistic at this moment in time. Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Re: How many good cycles out of LIPO's?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:37:43 AM »
Hi

I've heard from a F3A pattern pilot that he gets 100 "contest grade" cycles and about 100 additional cycles used for training. This was with the old generation Flight Power LIPO's, I dont know anything about the new generation.
However, there is difference between CLPA and F3A, F3A pilots throttles their motors while CLPA is pretty much on the same RPM all the time.

I have no experience myself as I just have started out with E-CL, it will be interesting to see how long my LIPO's will last.
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »
I think a lot depends on how much overhead you have in your capacity---this coming from someone who is living on the edge of capacity! S?P

I basically draw nearly or sometimes slightly over 80% of my 2100mAHr cells---it is a little hard to say since sometimes I am using the "fuel meter" on my FMA charger which says 18% to 24% of capacity left. However when I charge the battery, I am still putting in less than 1600mAHr. This could be consistent by just saying I am losing capacity over time. However I have had these cells over a year now (two over 1 1/2 years) and they still provide all I need through the flight. At some point I guess I will note a sag in the late pattern maneuvers (like overhead 8 and cloverleaf) so at that point they are goners. On the other hand, I paid "only" $63 each for the packs, so cost per flight shouldn't be too bad. I should go back see how many flights I have on each pack. Last year I tried to put most time on two of the packs to see if I can see a lifetime issue (I thought I was close to 50 full discharges on each of those packs). However I just used all 4 packs (2 at the Windy City Classic on Saturday, and 2 yesterday, and last night all claimed to have a least 20% capacity remaining.

I do note that prior to last nights charging "fest", my packs had been claiming they were being used down to the 15% level. However this weekend finally had temps in the 70-80's, so maybe my packs are telling me that they like those temperatures and not 50's (all degrees F).

However if you are leaving 30-40% in the pack, I would imagine you should get many cycles out of them, as long as you treat them right otherwise (like storing them at ~50% capacity in the fridge over the winter or for long term storage). They do just age too.

From reading posts over on RC Groups, it is pretty clear that people see a lot of variability in the lifetime--even reputable manufacturers seem to have issues time to time. So that's why I have more or less stuck with my FMA packs. Like I said, they aren't the cheapest, or the most expensive (but sure seem to be about the lightest out there--even compared to Thunderpower lites). I don't think I could handle having a $200 pack go bad! :'(

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »
Keith,
do you use a balancer each time you charge? one of the seemingly critical issues is the use of a balancer to enhance life of the cells. And as Alan says, not overdrawing the packs is VERY important too. perhaps a bit more about your usage could help diagnose your situation. Things like the brand of the packs, how much you draw them down, what level you store them at, balancer, charger settings and the like
One thing Alan that I have read is that the packs are VERY critical to temperature. If you have a pack at marginal voltage, and you get it cold, then try to charge or use it, it can actually be below the safe voltage value. I have purchased a small heater/cooler that plugs into my car to keep my packs at a constant temp. What I read is that the packs prefer to be around 120 degrees F in order to maximize efficiency and power delivery.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
Mark,

Could you give some details on the Heater/Cooler and where it is available?

Best,          Dennis T

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »
My experience with polyquest cells back when 10C was the max they had (4000 mah and an axi 2826/10) in  a smoothie I would draw 2600 mah per pack. They lasted one very lightly flown  year and were useless after in RC. Charging  was balanced about half way thru the first season. You can take up RC though and use them there. I still use these packs today on axi 2826/10 and 12 equipped 3D aircraft. They will still 3D some but I usually go to newer 25C cells for the additional flight time and power. I think we are killing our batteries in cL by not having adequate cooling. Our current planes are not designed for proper cooling.

bob branch

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »
I am not sure about cooling----although mine are warmer than I would like. Most others sound like they are barely warm after a flight (everyone can pipe up now if they want!).

If you ran WOT for a CL flight, you would be pulling less than 10C (if you would leave 20% at the end). However all of us are running at partial throttle, so the instantaneous current draw is probably 30-40% higher than our average draw (~10C). This will give you more heating that you would naively think. That why I am getting ready to replace my 880kV motor with a "more efficient 780kV motor, which should reduce the instantaneous current a bit, letting me baby my 2100mAHr cells a little more.

I am having too much fun doing these negligible things! y1

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. I forgot to post the amount of milliamps per flight. Each flight uses a maximum of 2400 mAh, which leaves at least 28% in the pack. If I run a little slower, or change the prop then some flights use only 1800 mAh. My motor is the MVVS 6,5/910. It is rated as a .40 glow, hence the 6,5 (cc), and has 910 rpm/volt. I normally run the APC 12 x 6E props, but lately I've been trying the Xoar wood 12 x 7. I run this a little slower, and the performance seems to be good. I have not done any tests yet with the Eagle Tree recorder.

I usually use the balancer, but I will admit that I don't do this on every charge. It took me a while to find the right balancer connectors to fit the Desire battery plugs. Isn't it really dumb for the battery manufacturers to use different connectors??  ???

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »
That is a good question, and one that I have also asked.
I log all my electric flights, and discharge voltage, mah input, and recharge voltage are recorded.
To date, my highest time battery is 130 flights. It was the first battery I bought, and "may" have taken some abuse as I was learning.
It worked fine until one flight it slowed down near the end. I checked, and one cell was bad. With that much time on it, no sense in splicing in a "new" cell from another "damaged" battery.

Thet are Thunder Power 5S2P4200 batteries. I take out ~ 3000 mah a flight +\- 200 mah.

I have now switched to 4000 5S2P Thunder Power "cubes" (weighs 3 ounces less than the 4200) with excellent results.
High time on one of those is about 10 flights so far.

Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I was hoping to nurse 200 flights out of a pack.  I still have many of the 4200's still, but am no longer flying the plane they go in now :(

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »
Paul,

Just out of curiosity, how is that stacking up against the cost per flight of glow fuel? I haven't bought that stuff in a long time and have lost touch with what it costs. Sounds like LiPos are costing roughly a dollar per 6 minute flight, seems like that might be more than the fuel cost, but I don't have the data.

John Witt
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »
Paul,

Just out of curiosity, how is that stacking up against the cost per flight of glow fuel? I haven't bought that stuff in a long time and have lost touch with what it costs. Sounds like LiPos are costing roughly a dollar per 6 minute flight, seems like that might be more than the fuel cost, but I don't have the data.

John Witt

Don't forget the cost of Windex and paper towels!

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
The cost of electric "fuel" is still a bit more than glow fuel. 

If I get 200 flight per battery, that is just over $1.00  a flight.

For glow fuel I could get 128 / 7 = 18 flights per gallon. That's a little less than $1.00 a flight.

However they are not far off. If glow fuel goes up, then this simple equation might swing to the electric's favor....Provided the cost of batteries don't go up!

And I didn't even factor in the cost of Windex or paper towels.....Yes, I wipe the plane down once a month or so, just to keep the bugs off!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
bugs are necessary, bugs are turbulators  VD~

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 11:10:13 PM »
OK just to throw some bugs in the ointment:

I'm not sure it is possible to properly cool a stacked pack.  Even in a 3S pack the middle cell can only cool from its edges, and the middle cell has a hot cell on either side of it. 4S & 5S packs even worse - only one side of each of the outer cells is really seeing any airflow.

If we are really serious about this battery cooling issue, then a better solution would be dual 2S packs for 4S applications, with plenty of airspace between them.  At least that way every cell has at least one flat surface exposed to cooling air.  I believe Alan is using this kind of stack for his Nobler (though not necessarily for THAT reason!).

As for 5S - 2S + 2S + 1S???

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
From all the conversations I have had with my Dark side buddies,, battery cooling isnt as much of an issue as we want to make it. Cooling the speed control, and the motor is in my opinion much more important. the information I have heard is that battteries will give the best performance when they are around 120 to 130 degrees.at temperatures below70 they will show a decline in their ability to deliver enough power.
not the motor on the other hand wants to be COOL.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 08:05:17 AM »
OK just to throw some bugs in the ointment:

I'm not sure it is possible to properly cool a stacked pack.  Even in a 3S pack the middle cell can only cool from its edges, and the middle cell has a hot cell on either side of it. 4S & 5S packs even worse - only one side of each of the outer cells is really seeing any airflow.

If we are really serious about this battery cooling issue, then a better solution would be dual 2S packs for 4S applications, with plenty of airspace between them.  At least that way every cell has at least one flat surface exposed to cooling air.  I believe Alan is using this kind of stack for his Nobler (though not necessarily for THAT reason!).

As for 5S - 2S + 2S + 1S???

I agree with you that the center cells really aren't cooling that well. And as you point out my reasons for the 2x3s packs isn't for the cooling, but for expediency!

I am not sure how much air cooling really helps. I know it helps some, but I think most of the temperature measurements we can make on a pack with a probe are measuring, to some extent, the warm air temperature around the battery (caused by the battery of course). At the end of the flight when the motor quits and the plane lands, the temperature always rises, which means to me that the internal battery temperature is much higher than what we have been measuring.

I am not saying to have no cooling---that's too expensive of an experiment!! ~^, but to get real cooling, you would almost need to take the pack apart to let the air flow around both sides of the individual cells. Not sure if it is worth than much effort!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »
Speaking of cooling, I've seen the temps rise on batteries, motors, and ESC's after touchdown.  I think that's where the temps begin to soar.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »
Speaking of cooling, I've seen the temps rise on batteries, motors, and ESC's after touchdown.  I think that's where the temps begin to soar.

What I mean to say is that the temperature rises, at that point, because the equipment is already hot from the flight, not because cooling stops. After all when the motor quits, you are no longer generating heat anymore.

What is happening is that the local air temperature (which the temperature probe is also sensitive to) is no longer being replaced by cooler outside air. The battery/ESC/motor isn't getting hotter, as a matter of fact they are cooling off. Yes they would cool off faster if you blew air on them.

Does this make sense? Or maybe everyone already knows this and wonders what the h*ll I am trying to get at! HB~>   Sometimes I wonder myself.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Having one foot firmly in the dark-side (I cringe even as i say it!) Stunters tend to have less well thought-out battery cooling paths than the F3A guys do. We could easily do better, and Rick S' canopy air exit is one great idea.

later,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
A rule of thumb I've used in designing electronics cooling is to have the outlet area about 1.5 times the inlet area to account for the pressure drop of the flow over the devices being cooled. Air also grows warmer and expands as well.

Don't put the outlet in an area that is likely to have a higher pressure  than the inlet. Remember that the drag in ducts is added to the total drag of the airframe -- visualize the duct and its components being on the outside of the skin. If you try to use NACA boundary layer inlet ducts, they have to be correctly shaped to work, and be located where there is an actual boundary layer, not thick turbulent flow.

For some examples look at various aircraft and see where the inlets and outlets are. Also look at your car, most car inlets are at the base of the windshield because that is generally a high pressure area. Outlets tend to be at rear, usually along the side panels, but not on flat rear facing surfaces (note where the dust collects).

In my Panther, the motor cooling air enters through the nose behind the prop and is ducted out the bottom of the cowl. Part of that flow is split off to cool the battery and ESC. At the end of a 4 minute run those three components are all somewhat warm to the touch, but the ambient temps here in Seattle are rarely above 70 deg F.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »
Previously stated:
"What I mean to say is that the temperature rises, at that point, because the equipment is already hot from the flight, not because cooling stops. After all when the motor quits, you are no longer generating heat anymore. "

In my case, I have a large air intake, and two nice size exits for the air. The Eagle Tree recorder has a probe that is attached to the battery in a place where there is minimal flow past the battery. It is measured throughout the flight. It barely hits 100 deg F just before the motor stops. As soon as it lands, the slope of the temperature increases significantly. At this point there is no more flow by it to help extract the remaining heat in the battery, and thus it heats up. It climbes to 120 deg F and then finally startes dropping.

I have measured the battery with an IR thermometer on as many points as I could reach and found no spot hotter that 120 deg F. I too have been concerned about the "core" volume of the battery, but to date have seen little effect.

Cooling of the battery, motor, and ESC is one on my primary concerns. I took temperatures regurarly in the beginning, but found that the motor was not heating up (to any significant level) , nor was the ESC (it is in the same cooling path as the battery). I too have seen many installations of electric systems that make my skin crawl. No consideration of cooling for the batteries.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »
Hi Gang,
Sure enough, the temperature rise we see just after the airflow goes away reveals very close to what the battery core temperatures were during flight. You want, actually need, about 100F during flight; preferably 120F. the batteries don't "wake up" until 100F. for this reason, having the battery and motor/ESC cooling paths segregated is a good idea: you can partially bock off the battery path in cool weather.

Anywhere from 120 to 140 is okay, but above 150 you are aging the batteries more than you need to. A lot of the F3A stuff comes down 1t 140 to 150 on a warm day. The latest generation batteries have brought that down a solid 10 F from what we saw a year ago, but those batteries weigh a couple of percent more.

So how much does the air expand? Assuming that the air, at most, reaches the same temp as the battery core (it won't) then it leaves the plane at 140F or just under 600 Rankine. (absolute scale with Fahrenheit sized degrees) Entry air is at about 530 R on a 70F day. Since volume at atmospheric pressure is proportional to absolute temp, we find that, as an upper bound, the air only expands 13% in this example.

The question is how to measure inlet and exit areas(?) Scoops facing directly forward or directly aft are good, but big holes in the bottom of the plane just cause drag and have to be at least 50% larger than the inlet, as John notes. One of the Japanese F3A pilots (one who builds!) had a clever solution: rear facing exhaust scoops built into the trailing edge of the wing fillets. Semi-Scale jets anybody?

later,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
Let me ask a question of the folks with some more experience with the LiPo flight packs.  Would it be worthwhile to remove the heatshrink overwrap and separate the cells a little with a thin (say .030 or .040 inch styrene) spacer strips to allow air circulation between the stacked cells? The cells could be strapped back together with tie-wraps or tape or something of that type. This would take some care not to damage the interconnects, and as the car people would say: "void the warranty". Seems to me that the typical heat shrink wrapping is a pretty good thermal barrier.

Probably wouldn't help much for us in Seattle (it's 55 F here currently) as we barely get the batteries up to 120, I'd guess. Might be beneficial to those in Tucson or other less fortunate parts of the country, though. We have beautiful weather, Microsoft and Starbucks. How could it get any better????  n~  D>K

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
Another question. This morning's flights went well, except that I forgot to set in the time limit and ran my 2250 mAh packs down to the low voltage cutoff, which I have set to 3.2V. Took about 2150 mAh to recharge them. This is a pretty deep discharge, what's the potential for damaging the cells?  They got recharged immediately and appeared to charge normally. I'm charging at 2.1 A.

Dopey me, the first flight seemed to go on for a long time and I didn't get the 15 second burp. So naturally I did it again with the second pack before I thought to start checking things and found all the Ztron's dip switches set to "OFF". Lots of nice wingovers, tho...

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Alan Hahn

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »
Another question. This morning's flights went well, except that I forgot to set in the time limit and ran my 2250 mAh packs down to the low voltage cutoff, which I have set to 3.2V. Took about 2150 mAh to recharge them. This is a pretty deep discharge, what's the potential for damaging the cells?  They got recharged immediately and appeared to charge normally. I'm charging at 2.1 A.

Dopey me, the first flight seemed to go on for a long time and I didn't get the 15 second burp. So naturally I did it again with the second pack before I thought to start checking things and found all the Ztron's dip switches set to "OFF". Lots of nice wingovers, tho...

John

It's hard to know if one discharge is going to hurt a lot--but I am sure it doesn't help matters. A lot of RC'ers use their Low Voltage Cutoff as a timer to land, and of course, done over and over again really will shorten the life of the cells.

One thing I have noted is that the early trimming and setup flights can be dangerous to the equipment since every flight is a little different and it is easy to get distracted. HB~>

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »
Hi John,
Splitting the cells really shouldn't be necessary. Stunt is easy on LiPos compared to other high performance flight: we only average a 7C discharge for 6 minutes. All we really need is adequate airflow to and away from the battery. Even if the cells are separated, the airflow is key. Stunt ships are classically tight packaging exercises because of aesthetics, but you need  room around the battery for air to flow.  Yes, this requires a small re-think of how we do things. Fortunately, we are modelers and we can solve any problem.

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »
Stunt ships are classically tight packaging exercises because of aesthetics, but you need  room around the battery for air to flow.  Yes, this requires a small re-think of how we do things. Fortunately, we are modelers and we can solve any problem.

later,
Dean

Yeah, that's for sure, I built the Panther in the first place just because I liked the way it looks.
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here