News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How fast should we fly?  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How fast should we fly?
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
Guys,

Lately we've had 12 mph plus winds and I've been flying through them pretty good. However I've noticed that as we get near 16mph or so the ship has more trouble picking up ground speed as I get ready to do down wind maneuvers. When I flew IC's it was more pronounced as the tank would get higher pressure going into the wind and about a 1/4 lap later the motor would richen slightly. The pickup is faster with ECL but I was wondering if there is a better approach for us. My thought is to increase the flying speed slightly then put the ship on longer lines to keep the maneuver timing close to the shorter line timing. My current flying speed is around 55 mph on 65' lines with a 5" pitch. By going to a 6" pitch I can go out to 70' decrease the lap time to 5.1 but the speed increases to 58 mph. I'm thinking this might help blast through the wind but keep the pull from getting to high and the maneuver time about the same. Any body doing this?

Best,           Dennis

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
Re: How fast should we fly?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:18:45 AM »
I'm not clear on fine points between electric and IC powered stunt ships, but my gut feeling is that going to 70' and 58 MPH is not likely to help in the wind. My assumption is that 70' lines will increase power requirements; in the case of IC powered ships, it generally takes more power to handle longer lines.

I'll be interested in your experiences with long lines. The worse that may happen is you have an extra set of 70' lines to cut back down to 65' or so.

Electric power is already superior to most IC setups, on consistency alone. Developments such as 2-4 break emulation will only improve it.

L.

"The reason so little is done, is generally because so little is attempted." -Samuel Smiles
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:25:52 AM »
<snip>....

Electric power is already superior to most IC setups, on consistency alone. Developments such as 2-4 break emulation will only improve it.

L.

"The reason so little is done, is generally because so little is attempted." -Samuel Smiles

Of course 4-2-4 is 60 year old technology! >:D

It would be interesting to really know what the IC engines are doing under load. We have a lot of guesses, but no real numbers. But my impression is that most competitors tend to go for the constant rpm (governed) mode, either by using tuned pipes, way oversized engines running in deep 4 stroke, 4 stroke engines, or 2 strokes running at high rpm with flat pitch blades.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get an rpm boost in the verticals, but I begin to worry that if we use too many "techie" like things, CL might get a bit too complicated. Not sure where that will lead.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
>>>Not sure where that will lead.<<<

I know - to more fun  #^

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 03:55:32 PM »
>>>Not sure where that will lead.<<<

I know - to more fun  #^

I think this  >:D is the more appropriate emoticon for your fun!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
I am with Igor on that one.

Certainly, I have seen all manner of wet setups respond to the load-lightening transient as the airplane transitions into the headwind. They all do the same thing, to a lesser extent usually, as when coming downhill: they go rich or make less torque. We did and still do spend a lot of time making them do that. it is an unfortunate by-product of making a "stunt-run" and I'll bet that Igor can confirm that more than half the experiments to electronically produce a good stunt-run will also have this same unfortunate characteristic. The ones that do not will have the left-handed twin of this problem  VD~
Care to guess?

Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 07:54:27 AM »
Well Dean,
Of course with the governor, we are making more or less torque when the load changes too. The issue is how techie the electric event will become. It is already pretty techie, that's for sure. I agree it is a lot of fun.

And of course this all could be added to glow engines too.

I suppose I am a little worried that if we go to far, we will be tarred and feathered by the village folk!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 08:29:07 AM »
It can be overdone ... as everything ... it is question of compromises, you can have perfect speed controll and it can easy mean that the motor will brake when you do not expect it and it will make think difficult to controll

so as I see the thing now, it can olnly little bit help, but cannot solve everything, it is just another element which can be optimized, but it is not something what gives clear and unbeatable advantage

for example it can make 12x6 prop to be competitive with 13x6 ... nothing more ... but I remember competition of LA46 to pa 61 in the same final of WC, so it is still about flying, trimming, practicing ... and "techies" just get another area to have fun :-) ... and those who want to sleep all the life can still fly the same what they had 20 years ago, just instead of fun comming from new stuf, they spend time with little more parcticing to ge the same level H^^

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
I really love it when you guys talk dirty..  ;->

This is fascinating stuff. I'll know when ECL has solved the problem when the motor
pauses and runs backwards a little for braking effects at just the right time!

L.

PS - Hmmm. let's see, I'll add a microprocessor noticing where I am in the pattern, airspeed
and receiving telemetry data on wind speed and direction, density altitude, and programmed
to behave PRECISELY as it needs to.. 

"One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces." -from Pink Floyd's Meddle
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »
I really love it when you guys talk dirty..  ;->

This is fascinating stuff. I'll know when ECL has solved the problem when the motor
pauses and runs backwards a little for braking effects at just the right time!

L.

PS - Hmmm. let's see, I'll add a microprocessor noticing where I am in the pattern, airspeed
and receiving telemetry data on wind speed and direction, density altitude, and programmed
to behave PRECISELY as it needs to.. 

"One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces." -from Pink Floyd's Meddle

Well I can already add a GPS unit to my onboard data recorder. Now if it only had a bit better position resolution, we could dump the data and run my pattern through a computer and voila, no judges needed  y1! Also no more arguments on the judging subjectivity (except for the appearance part!). The only issue would be to finally decide what some of the pattern maneuvers (like level flight above a varying terrain) really are, and the out-of-order stuff.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »
Heck, just get an onboard processor programmed with sensors and actuators, and program it to FLY the pattern,, all you need to do is stand there and spin around,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
Heck, just get an onboard processor programmed with sensors and actuators, and program it to FLY the pattern,, all you need to do is stand there and spin around,,

In the year 2525,
If man is still alive,
If woman can survive
They may find...   VD~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 10:08:38 PM »
Meddle? Zager and Evans? I just love it!

Alan so appropriately warns, "I suppose I am a little worried that if we go to far, we will be tarred and feathered by the village folk!"

Well my friends ... been there, done that, I should have a T-shirt made: maybe you don't remember some of the names I was called back in '87 & '88 when the tuned pipe thing was introduced. "baby-killer" might have been preferrable.

later friends!
  Dean

Dean Pappas

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Meddle? Zager and Evans? I just love it!

Alan so appropriately warns, "I suppose I am a little worried that if we go to far, we will be tarred and feathered by the village folk!"

Well my friends ... been there, done that, I should have a T-shirt made: maybe you don't remember some of the names I was called back in '87 & '88 when the tuned pipe thing was introduced. "baby-killer" might have been preferrable.

later friends!
  Dean

Hey hey, I never called you anything as nice as "baby killer"!

All seriousness, aside, we have technology to get more info about how our systems operate than ever before - and perosnally I think I see people falling in love with the DATA, but falling short of understanding its value.  Its the old "numbers don't lie but lyers use numbers" story.  Personally the only DATA I am interested in is whether I successfully commited aviation, most of the extraneous data is just "noise" in the experiment.

As Igor pointed out, IC or electric: go fly.  Practice means more than reams of data logger stuff.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »
I really like the way electric power doesn't get flaky if you spend some time up at the top of the circle. 

When I was a kid doing this, that mode was my principle nemisis. I didn't really understand what I needed to do then (still don't  :)). I have to grin at guys moving their fuel tanks up and down with graduated shims to get that 2-4 break just right. An almost unbelieveable optimization of 60 year old technology. It's sorta like the violin, which is 350 year old technology that no one knows how to better.

John Witt

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 01:26:16 AM »
Hi Guys,

This thread really illustrates why we all keep coming back for more with our single axis toy airplanes. Most of us just get such a kick out of fiddling all the time. I enjoyed the comments of Dennis to Kim D when Kim explained exactly what to go and buy to make a really good electric stunter that will work. It will also save bucks and avoid buying of stuff that "may" not work. These were really good suggestions. but so many of us get a great kick out of trying all kinds of alternative ways, and in this manner we satisfy our enquiring minds.

Dean, if you get called names........so what?? At least you are being noticed, and of course you get a nice warm fuzzy feeling when time proves the point. When I started out on my 3-D simulation thing, and dared to challenge the stunt rules, I was called many things. The best one that I got via e-mail, was the one that said that I must be sniffing too much diesel. It's all in good fun.

On the point of flying in the wind, I always thought that for a simple set-up, the diesel really handles the wind on the downwing accelleration problems, better than most. Electric with a good governor set-up is even better. I was lucky to fly Rob Metkemeijer's Yatsenko Shark with his prototype .77 glow engine at out Nats last month. It is a long-stroke, 6-port AAC design with a rear intake, and was swinging a 14" 3-bladed prop. The weight of this work of art, is around 280 grams. It only used about 90 cc of fuel for the flight, so I guess that it is choke down quite a lot. Our altitude here in Johannesburg South Africa, is close to 6000 ft. ASL. This engine just "growls" through the flight with very little 2/4 break. It did not accelerate much in the gusty weather, but then when I flew it, the wind was reasonable, and not like typical "world champs" weather in Europe.

Rob flew my Electron afterwards as well, and he was most impressed by the power and solid constant speed. He noted that it is a little deceptive when you watch the electric models, because they just don't sound powerful. I remember talking to Peter Germann at the last world champs and he said that the electric models just don't seem to handle the overhead maneuvers well in the wind. He said that it was quite visible to him in fact. Ask Igor, who placed 2nd in some of the worst wind and turbulence that I've seen at world champs, if he had no line tension overhead.

Another guy that I have the greatest respect for, is Gilbert Beringer. He has certainly experimented as much or more than most of us. He also flew many diesels by the way. He told me some years ago, that in good stunt conditions, a 2/4 break system is hard to beat, but in bad turbulence, a constant speed system is much more predictable, and therefore easier to score good points with. He found that 4-strokes gave him a similar performance to diesels.......without the smell. In similar manner, electric motors in governor mode are even better.

I fly my Electron on about 69 foot lines, or just a little under full length. I like the extra "space" for the maneuvers. I have flown my model at 4.7 to 5.2 secs/lap and it is still fine to perform a good pattern. My choice is obviously the slowest that I can get away with, but like the great Windy always says, it's the speed through the maneuvers that is important and not the level flight lap times. I've timed all of the systems in use today, and if you take a top pilot flying a ST 60, 4-banger, or tuned pipe system, they all take a similar time through each maneuver. The 2-stroke glow engine will purr around at a good 4-cycle, and then speed up through the maneuvers.

So, I don't think that the line length is really a problem, within reason anyway. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I just don't like trying to get used to different line lengths. Strong, smooth wind is not the real problem. In Landres at the world champs for example, even in lighter wind, the turbulence, especially on the grass field, was horrendous. The great thing about electric, is that you fly faster by setting the rpm accurately (if you have the right governor system), and you can fly a good pattern even at 4.7 secs/lap, because it just doesn't go faster.
Keith R

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 06:01:33 AM »
Lots of good obervations Keith!

Dean: just remember, when you are catching flak you must be close to the target!

I think that as Keith suggests, with constant power it is likely that electric lap times will creep up - but manuver times will likely be pretty much what we got used to flying IC.

The only "downside" to the faster lap times is that we are spending roughly have the flight - and a lot of the battery capacity & heat - in level flight.  Thus the electric 4-2-4 that Igor is using could be just the ticket!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
I will just note what Keith knows - I had installed test version of 4-2-4 in my model in Landres, but I switched it off (variations less than 100rpm) because of that turbulence, I was not sure if it can handle those terrible conditions well. So I rather set lap time to 5.0 and did the contest on constant rpm without risk. It was quick, but still visibly slower than most IC motors.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
Igor,

Now that you've teased us with the metion of a 4-2-4 electric you have to elaborate. How does it work and is it a plug-in to the existing ESC / Timers? I really think we need a set up that gives us just a little punch as the load comes on whether that be from the nose going up or a strong head wind. Penetration and control are key in strong winds. I think the current ECL systems do a very good job on the control part. Where there is room for improvement is the punching through the head wind part.

Best,                Dennis T

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 05:05:50 AM »
I have two different devices, that one which simullates 4-2-4 does exactly what 2C 4-2-4 does. In case of additional load on prop (it has current sensor) just adds little bit on power.

Basically it is a timer, which is programmable by Jeti box (the same box used for programming Jeti Spin ESC) where you can say time and throttle. But it has additional function which liearly adds throttle depending on current. It has also adjustable low pass filter for quick ESC which can lead to oscillations (it is positive feedback).

But you must know that it has also all ill effect of ususal 4-2-4 for example if you fly against the wind, prop unloads and it means that model goes even slower :-)

From my experience - it is works well in calm (it is necessary for indoor models), it can cancel slippage to some extent (means I can fly smaller prop at lower power and smaller battery), but its effect needs to be limited in turbulence - but this is old storry, we know longer time that less is sometimes more and that models with less power sometimes perform better than those strong in turbulence - that is why I used that model in Landres 2008 and in Sebnitz 2002 - I had piped OS MAX LA .46 in Sebnitz with prop 12x4 (placed 10th) and electric powertrain with APC 12x6 (means even less power) in Landres and turbulence was not a big problem (compared to strong .60-.75 wet models sometimes flying at 4.8s/lap)

I will make screen shots in new thread

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »
Igor,

You are right there at the point of suppream victory we just need to get it to react to changes in "ground" speed i.e centrifugal reaction (line tension). Can a simple strain gauge be used to generate a control signal that would increase throttle as the ship slows (line tension reduces) by say 200 rpm and decrease rpm when it speeds up? The strain gauge would be a non moving resistor that would increase reliability as opposed to a weight with a pot resistor. I don't know what resistance values are available for strain gauges maybe someone out there knows more about them and were to get information?

Best,          Dennis T

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 11:14:13 AM »
look to my device with gyro sensor ... so yes, we can, but it has also some ill effects, for example it reduces power in wind just before entering figure, it is also wrong ... so the answer is that yes, we can have any system we want, but atually the most important is to say what we really want and it has to do and when  VD~

and then when we have it, it needs to be set well, more settings = more chances to do it wrong :-) ... we are on begin of the electric era ... we will certainly come to many tricks like we had with IC engines :-)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »
Guys,

Just did a quick web search and found some small 1" strain gauges at this site http://www.rdpe.com/ex/gt.htm could this be put into the pot control on the ZTron III timer to do small trims? It would need a small weight and be mounted across the fuse. I think if the system were set to only allow increases in rpm and return to the base set point when the ship speeds up or a very small decrease it might counteract the slow down that Igor mentioned.

Best,         Dennis T

Offline Iskandar Taib

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »

These pictures were taken at the recent Dutch Nationals. Rob Metkemeijer's stunt engine and the prop. Sounded nice.

There was also another gentleman flying an electric stunter. The speed controller was way back under the wing. Why? He's using line tension to regulate speed!

Iskandar

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
There was also another gentleman flying an electric stunter. The speed controller was way back under the wing. Why? He's using line tension to regulate speed!
So you have met Erik Janssen?
I was working, playing music that day, or else I would have been there as well.
This is the Dutch team at the WCh 1994 -Erik's last big contest- with him front left (and yes it's the same plane he used as a flying testbed for his electric experiments) and me front right. In the back Henk de Jong with his Cobra 60, he's the last of us three still flying on a regular basis.
Left are the Metkemeijer brothers, who both returned to stunt some years ago. Bert is one of my early stunt tutors.

'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »
 VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~
If you fly your plane tethered to a tripod you can have instant variable throttle (and elevator/flap) control by RC!

What more could you want?
 VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 03:19:29 AM »
If you fly your plane tethered to a tripod you can have instant variable throttle (and elevator/flap) control by RC!
What more could you want?
Why? ::) You won't be able to control it precisely enough.
And there would be no tactile feedback from the elevator & flaps. That would be no fun. :(

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
Ned

Words well spoken.

Jim Moffatt   :) :)

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »
In the year 2525,
If man is still alive,
If woman can survive
They may find...   VD~

You're showing you age Dennis....

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »
You're showing you age Dennis....

Amen Brother!

A sure sign of getting older is when you CANNOT understand the music young folks are listening to... (actually I am kinda proud of that!)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
Amen Brother!

A sure sign of getting older is when you CANNOT understand the music young folks are listening to... (actually I am kinda proud of that!)
You're telling me... That's supposed to be music.... ??? LL~
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:37:12 PM by NED-088 »

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »
Ned

Words well spoken.

Jim Moffatt   :) :)
However, having a servo driven system (including force feedback) with multiple, programmable transfer functions would be the thing to aim for,  of course.  #^ Kim Doherty has shown us where to go...
But for now I'm having my hands full with just making the power train behave 'ideal' (= better than I.C.)

Advertise Here
Tags: flying 

Advertise Here