News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How far should you run your battery down for best life of battery?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Matt Curtis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Just wondering what a good percentage figure you should stopat per flight to not be damaging to your battery? 20%? I flew my ring rat today and the battery read 1% just wondering if this is bad for the battery? I have only done this once.

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: How far should you run your battery down for best life of battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 05:18:40 AM »
25% but not less than 20% capacity. Store at 50% not 100%.

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 06:41:24 AM »
It's not good for sure, no lower than 20% and I test mine after charging not after the flight, not sure how you are testing, I multiply the amount put back in by 1.25 to insure I'm not going lower than 20%

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »
Just wondering what a good percentage figure you should stopat per flight to not be damaging to your battery? 20%? I flew my ring rat today and the battery read 1% just wondering if this is bad for the battery? I have only done this once.
My experience is that if you don't let the cell voltage drop below about 3.5 (some say 3.7 others in the RC forums have gone as low as 3.0).  I check *after* every flight and I have yet to figure out just what causes what once you have the prop and rpm's right.  I have a set of rather cheap 4s 2800's that routinely go to 15% with no loss of power (5:25 Flight time with RPM's around 9800)  all 4 have 50 cycles on them.  Some days they go to 20% others they go to 10%.  When the motor is cold (1st flight) it seems to use less.
What I like though is that I get the same flight just a different amount of "fuel" in the tank at the end.  If you get the wrong nitro or needle setting with IC you get a crappy run.

I have gone to 3000 with the predictable increase in head room and predictable weight increase but I don't see any change in power or battery life.  I put them all back to 50% storage as soon as I get home and never leave them fully charged more that 2 days. 

I am still relatively new at electric so I may not see the big picture clearly yet but I see others getting roughly the same number of cycles out of their Thunderpower batteries as I am getting from the Turnigy and I buy three of them on sale for what 1 Thunderpower costs on sale.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
Charge it to 50%, and only run it down to 50%.  It should last for years.  Oh, and store it at 50%.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 09:32:37 AM »
I'm with Ken. I've run mine down to 15% or so pretty regularly and have as many as a 100 cycles on some. No issue so far. Store at 50%.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
Good information here

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Now the information on my iPhone and battery care seems to agree with 20% as the stopping point.  But as noted, it is not always convenient to stop at 20%.

Fred

Offline Matt Curtis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »
If I charge to 50% I would think I would only get about 1 or 2 minutea flight time even if I flew at low throttle. I only get about 3:30 with a 98% charge and flying with way less than full power most of the time.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 07:19:13 AM »
If I charge to 50% I would think I would only get about 1 or 2 minutea flight time even if I flew at low throttle. I only get about 3:30 with a 98% charge and flying with way less than full power most of the time.
You might be confused by what Tim posted.  He was referring to how much you charge a battery *from* the 50% storage.  Battery storage % range from 35% to 60% (3.4 - 3.7v) depending on which expert you are listening to at the time.  One of the tricks to avoid having to spend hours on the charger to get them to storage is to have a battery with enough head room so that you can *fly* them to storage.  I can do that with my 5s and 6s sets on PA size ships but I have been totally unsuccessful with the 4s sets on the smaller ships.

I have my low voltage cutoff set to 3.2 on my ESC and as long as I can get through the pattern I don't get too
excited about the battery usage.  Damage starts at 3.0 but I suspect life expectancy starts much higher.

One other observation and this one is from personal experience.  A Lipo will charge if the charger is set to some of the other "L" settings.  I was about to trash mine because it routinely charged to 98%.  It should show 99%, which is really 100%, and 4.20v. I asked about that here and someone suggested I check the setting - it was wrong.  Sometimes it really is the simplest answer!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »
Charge it to 50%, and only run it down to 50%.  It should last for years.  Oh, and store it at 50%.

Tim will have to clarify, but it seems that he is saying if you don't use it, and leave it at 50% it will last a long time.  Only way you can charge it to 50% and run it down to 50%..... 

Are we really discussing how far you should run it down, or how far you can get away with? 
Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »
Are we really discussing how far you should run it down, or how far you can get away with?
I think it is the latter since that is what happens more often than we would like.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
Tim will have to clarify,

Oh god...  I was being a smartass!  It's like the neighbor of mine when I was 14, who told me to tighten the head bolts on my Stovebolt 6 until they snapped, and then back off half a turn.

Because, yes, if you charge to 50%, and then never drain below 50%, your batteries will last a good long time.  But your flights will be very short.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
Oh god...  I was being a smartass!  It's like the neighbor of mine when I was 14, who told me to tighten the head bolts on my Stovebolt 6 until they snapped, and then back off half a turn.

Because, yes, if you charge to 50%, and then never drain below 50%, your batteries will last a good long time.  But your flights will be very short.
Did he tell you to do it with a metric crescent wrench? LL~

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 03:42:52 PM »
Did he tell you to do it with a metric crescent wrench? LL~

ken

On a 1948 Chevy engine?  Of course not!  Maybe my '69 Toyota, though...
AMA 64232

Offline Matt Curtis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
Ran 1 battery down to 14% and the 3 cells were each at 3.7 volts. Ran the other battery down to 3% and the cells were 3.4 3.3 and 3.5 l am not using a timer but controling speed with 2.4 transmitter and receiver. This allows touch and goes and I can land whenever I want. I would think I would get longer flying time by using a timer only and no receiver?  3 minutes when running battery down to 14% and not flying at full throttle. This is on a ring rat using a 11.1 v 3s 1300 mah pac 30c. That is as heavy of a battery that I want to use on this plane. It is fun to fly and I can do a few manuvers but not a whole stunt pattern. The 8x4 prop gives longer flying than the 7x5 does and the plane flys slower. The 7x5 prop is not a good idea.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:15:52 PM by Matt Curtis »

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »
I think it also depends a lot on the battery. I often run down to 12 - 14% on a calm day in my Max Bee running 5s Zippy 2700. In wind I’ll finish about 20%. Often these cheap batteries are useless after 60 cycles.

I also have a set of Gens Ace 4s 3300 that are now in their second model and still going strong after 60+ cycles and 4 years since new. You pay more for a battery like Gens but they seem to last much longer.

Soon to be upgrading the system in the Max and looking forward to using Gens 6s batteries.
NZL7396

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 07:45:10 PM »
Your answer seems more what happens with and without wind. Wind adds energy and uses less battery.  But how far down is best for battery life?  Not under 20%.
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here